• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@shain, please say more about these milks.

My understanding is that east Asian countries have a different approach to milk drinking than the West. Perhaps originating from it once being a novel ingredient. In Taiwan, flavored milks are available bottled in any convenience store, and are made fresh in any night market. And let's not get into milk and bubble teas. I saw many fruit milks there, from bananas (the only fruit flavored milk I've seen here in Israel) to bitter gourds. My favorite was a freshly juiced ripe papaya with just milk added, it was creamy, refreshing and tropical tasting but delicate enough to not overtake the milk (I'm a milk lover, tough I don't usually drink it). I had a few interesting ones from 7-11 - melon milk, orange milk, mixed fruit milk (it tasted familiar, but it took me a long time to figure that it tastes like Trix cereal, which I haven't had in years). Many I haven't tried: apple milk, mango, mung bean milk (note to self that I should try and make anko milk).

I guess the bottom line is that I should try mixing juices and milk 👨‍🔬

shain

shain

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@shain, please say more about these milks.

My understanding is that east Asian countries have a different approach to milk drinking than the West. Perhaps originating from it once being a novel ingredient. In Taiwan, flavored milks are available bottled in any convince store, and are made fresh in any night market. I saw many from bananas (the only fruit flavored milk I've seen here in Israel) to bitter gourds. My favorite was a freshly juiced ripe papaya with just milk added, it was creamy, refreshing and tropical tasting but delicate enough to not overtake the milk (I'm a milk lover, tough I don't usually drink it). I had a few interesting ones from 7-11 - melon milk, orange milk, mixed fruit milk (it tasted familiar, but it took me a long time to figure that it tastes like Trix cereal, which I haven't had in years). Many I haven't tried: apple milk, mango, mung bean milk (note to self that I should try and make anko milk).

I guess the bottom line is that I should try mixing juices and milk 👨‍🔬