• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Day Trips Out of Paris

magnolia

• 10 months later...

Here's one: TGV to Dijon, about an hour and a half. Go in the morning, walk into town, try to go on a market day, work up an appetite and have lunch at Bistrot des Halles across the street or get a cab to Le Pré aux Clercs ..

take the train to champagne. if i recall correctly, takes about 1 1/2 hours to epernay or reims. in epernay there is a boulevard of champagne houses. good tour at moet et chandon and others.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Take the train from Gare St. Lazare (or drive - it's about 2 hours) to Honfleur, a delightful and relatively unspoiled seaport near the mouth of the Seine.The Michelin 1-star resto, Sa Qua Na, there has gotten some good (and also bad) reviews. However, just walk down the street r. L'Homme de Bois to the resto at 30-32 (also called L'Homme de Bois) for a fantastic meal among the locals and friendly service at about 1/5 the price.You won't regret it!

We had planned to go to Une Ile in Angers, just over an hour from Paris by TGV. Lunch reservations made, train schedule researched from home. All systems go. Then we went to the SNCF boutique to buy the train tickets and found that the short notice fare was 270€ instead of the well under 50€ I had seen on the net. We canceled our lunch reservation and will enjoy this outing another time when I buy the tickets in good time.

This is a sweet address. http://www.une-ile.fr/

eGullet member #80.