• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: HhLodesign - On Food and Architecture

Lovely dinner!  I kept waiting to see a picture of Anne and John, to see if I know them.  Perhaps everyone knows an Anne and John couple?

If you haven't had the Szechuan crab at Seven Stars Pepper, get it asap!  Although I read that the place was sold recently, and am really hoping they haven't changed things.

And in Vancouver, you've got to try Phnom Penh (thanks Jamie Maw!) for delicious garlic squid and other unusual and delectable stuff.  Personally, I was underwhelmed by Sun Sui Wah, but I only went once, for dim sum.  Hey, where's your favorite Seattle dim sum?

They'll be at the Mistral dinner on Thursday. I'll get a picture up then. Wanted to focus on the food last night.

Love the crab at SSP! SSP is actually very good. Its just so much more dramatic to say "There is NO good Chinese in Seattle!"

I like Honey Court in the ID and the place in the Great Wall Mall by 99 Ranch Market. Monsoon for a "different" kind of dim sum.

You must understand that before I left for Florence, I had only lived in Southern California my whole life. Even worse, only Orange County (behind the Orange Curtain) and Pomona (the armpit of LA.) I ended up getting an apartment with 3 other architecture students 3 blocks from the Duomo and steps from the Mercato Centrale, or San Lorenzo Market. It was in Florence that I realized the importance of buying fresh ingredients every day and getting to know your purveyers. Until that year, I bought everything from the closest grocery store to my house. I really got to know my local bakery, fish guy, meat guy, produce people, and alimentari (small shop selling staples.) The local alimentari also made fresh panini to order. I usually got the same one all the time; Salami piccante con fontina y pesto. It was also in Florence that I started to understand the concept of buying only the best ingredients, and doing very little to them. I also developed a love for Panna. Small packages of very thick cream I used to make white sauces. I can't seem to find that here in Seattle, or back in LA. Anyone?

I miss Florence! I haven't been back since 1995. I need to go!

OK, re Panna; I think you'll find a Mexican product called Crema to be a fair substitute. Get thee to a bodega! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Florence transformed a lot of eaters here, I suspect.  Judy Rodgers of Zuni Cafe writes beautifully about her experience there, too.

Did you go to Venice and visit Carlo Scarpa's buildings during your time in Italy?

Of course! I also made it out to the Brion Cemetery.. What a hauntingly (pun intended) lovely place!

Were you in Florence on a Fulbright? It's interesting; Italy is part of my family heritage, even though it's a country where I have no ancestry or relatives, because my father, who's a painter, spent a year in Florence on a Fulbright before I was born. So my mother and father cooked a lot of Italian food when I was a child, and I grew up reading Il Capucetto Rosso in Italian, instead of Little Red Riding Hood in English. Eventually, I was able to use my own grant money to go to Italy for two summers when I was in graduate school and have my own love affair with that wonderful country, its wonderful people and culture (and of course, food and wine).

There must be some interesting parallels between music and food, no? Music and architecture for sure. Did you know Daniel Libeskind was originally educated in music theory? I'd say he is the architecture equivalent of John Cage to music.

I had a meeting at 3pm which ran longer than expected, so I was off to a late start. left for the Market at 5:30pm. First I picked up my fish. There are 3 fish mongers in the market. The guys who throw, I never go to. You have to deal with the throngs of tourists standing around waiting for them to throw something.

You are aware, are you not, that "the guys who throw" have become the foundation of a huge workplace motivational enterprise? In fact, I'll bet that the film that started all this is one of the main reasons they attract throngs of tourists now.

The Human Resources department at Penn regularly featured showings of "FISH!" and workshops based on "The FISH! Philosophy."

Somehow, I managed to avoid all of these during the 18 years I worked there.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Great architecture and food makes for a great city, your observations of Seattle and especially the Belltown-Market area are new and refreshing. While on small spaces, food and architechue, I'd like you to share your observations on Lark (small, well done, and I tink great food) and the space across 12th, Seattle U's Small Chapel, which to me - little as it is - over shadows the new library.

Dave

Keep writing, I love to keep reading your blog.

Just got back from lunch at Salumi and I am Exhausted!

For those of you unfamiliar with the place (there might be a few of you left out there who haven't heard of it) Salumi is Armandino Batali's artisan cured meat shop in the Pioneer Square area of Seattle. I believe its in the same location as where his father had an Italian food store decades ago.

gallery_28660_2679_90719.jpggallery_28660_2679_43722.jpggallery_28660_2679_14569.jpg

The story (as I know it) is that after Armandino retired form Boeing, he went to Italy for a few years to learn the art of curing meat. He then came back to Seattle to open up Salumi as a kind of retirement "hobby". Thank god he doesn't golf!

They are only open 4 days a week and only for lunch. Although they do a private dinner party on the occasional Friday night for a select group of 10-12 people. It took me 3 years to get a dinner rez. When Armandino finally got sick of me asking and caved, it was Nov 03. He penciled us into the book for Oct 04. I think they are 3 years out right now. The problem I had was that I told everybody I knew about this dinner at Salumi; and promised a spot at the table to over 50 people. I ended up sending an Italian food quiz out by email. The first 5 people with all the answers correct got 2 spots at the table. The quiz went out at 9am and the last seats were claimed at 9:14 am. Some friends of mine are still a little bitter about not getting in. Sorry!

Here are some picts from my dinner.

Salumi Dinner

Originally when I told Armandino and Gina Batali about this food blog, I asked if I could do another dinner. They were already booked up (of course). Even the special lunches in the back room were booked for the week. They were going to reserve me 4 spots at the communal table and I cold bring just 3 of my closest friends for one of the hardest reservations to get in the city. This morning at 10:45am, Gina calls me and says that the lunch group for today called and cancelled at the last minute. So the back room was mine. I just had to round up 4 more people at the last minute. Not very difficult. I was able to fill the table very easily.

gallery_28660_2679_75008.jpg

We started with a Salumi plate of some of their best stuff. Armandino and Gina both know what my favorites are.

gallery_28660_2679_41224.jpg

Soppresata, finochiono, culatello, lomo, lamb prosciutto.

Then it all just started showing up at the table!

gnoccho fritto with culatello

gallery_28660_2679_77673.jpg

roasted mushrooms and tomatoes

gallery_28660_2679_46244.jpg

stuffed eggplant

gallery_28660_2679_15239.jpg

broccoli raub with pine nuts and garlic

gallery_28660_2679_102705.jpg

Nancy was preparing all these courses for us. She was the chef at a great local restaurant called Adriatica. But it closed down a few years ago. Armandino talked her out of retirement to come to Salumi and create great specials for them. She was a wonderful addition.

Nancy brought this next dish out with great trepedation. She said she personally doesn't eat this but Armandino thought it would be a perfect dish to try on me. I think I have a reputation for trying everything. Which I do!

Pig's ear salad

gallery_28660_2679_62847.jpg

Pig's ear is served in Chinese culture quite often. I had it numerous times as a kid. This was better than the Chinese preparation, which I think is roasted then served cold marinating in soy, sesame oil, and chili oil. The ears were deep fried and had tons of flavor.

ditalini with lots of onions.

gallery_28660_2679_46908.jpg

The onion aroma filled the room.

Lamb Stew with (I forgot the name) beans. I brought a pen, but was having such I great time I forgot to write things down.

gallery_28660_2679_76291.jpg

Here's Gina Batali. A wonderful host. Actually, just a wonderful person.

gallery_28660_2679_40502.jpg

She's married to Brian.

gallery_28660_2679_33299.jpg

Who's in charge of curing all the meats.

gallery_28660_2679_19163.jpg

We're were having such a good time, we woke up little Harrison Hanson.

gallery_28660_2679_7723.jpg

gallery_28660_2679_20275.jpg

For dessert they brought us a baked brie with culatello.

gallery_28660_2679_83289.jpg

and grapes

gallery_28660_2679_43941.jpg

Here I am with Armandino, Nancy, and Gina.

gallery_28660_2679_58.jpg

Armandino sat and chatted with us at the end of the meal.

gallery_28660_2679_3873.jpg

Marylin, Armandino's wife peeks through the door to say high.

gallery_28660_2679_21307.jpg

I hope you all get the sense of welcome we felt at Salumi. The draw of the place is not how good the food is (even though its great!) I really believe its the personallity of the entire Batali family. They are such a pleasure to be around that it's infectious. The people in line are always smiling (maybe because they are getting free salumi samples)

gallery_28660_2679_40597.jpg

The people behind the counter seem to really enjoy themselves. (although this picture doesn't seem to display that)

gallery_28660_2679_51024.jpg

And the people at the communal table are always eager to speak to the strangers sitting next to them about how great their sandwich is.

gallery_28660_2679_54293.jpg

I love everything about Salumi!

Side note: This was going to be stop #4 on my sandwich tour, but I don't think I'm going to be able to fit it in. I'll post picts in the Seattle thread in the next few weeks as I return for some of their great sandwiches.

I hope you all understand that I'm doing NOTHING for dinner tonight.

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Great architecture and food makes for a great city, your observations of Seattle and especially the Belltown-Market area are new and refreshing.  While on small  spaces, food and architechue, I'd like you to share your observations on Lark (small, well done, and I tink great food) and the space across 12th, Seattle U's Small Chapel, which to me - little as it is - over shadows the new library.

I love Lark. I actually met Kelly, one of the owners, sitting at the communal table at Salumi. I think Jon Sundstrom is doing very nice work at Lark. Particularly memorable for me was his potatoes Robuchon served in little Staub cast iron pots. I once jokingly asked Jon, "are thos 1 to 1 potatoes to butter?" His response,"Just about."

St. Ignatious Chapel By Steven Holl is one of my favorite buildings in Seattle. It is so soft spoken and subtle and such a great use of concrete tilt-up technology (what they use to build warehouses.) My only problem with it is that it is cleary derivitive of Le Corbusier's Notre Dame Du Ronchamp in Firminy. So its not quite as innovative as the library. Just my opinion.

Corbusier

Holl

I think I'm not the only person at eGullet who wants to change profession/location/LIFE with you. It's not just your writing, pictures, talent and, I guess what could only be described as "lifestyle" that is making this such a memorable blog:it's your enthusiasm and pleasure. Thanks for sharing, and be mindful of your wonderful life.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Henry bambino, you looka so skinny. Mangia, mangia ... :biggrin:

I really need my prosciutto fix now. Would you bring some down to LA please? I usually eat some over at La Terza when Nancy Silverton has her Tues. night tavola.

How did you first meet the Batali's? Have you met Mario yet? You weren't that obnoxious to them, were you?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I think I'm not the only person at eGullet who wants to change profession/location/LIFE with you. It's not just your writing, pictures, talent  and, I guess what could only be described as "lifestyle" that is making this  such a memorable blog:it's your enthusiasm and pleasure.  Thanks for sharing, and be mindful of your wonderful life.

I'm grateful everyday that I have a job that I love, wonderful friends, and incredible support from a family that I love.

All I need now is to find the right girl......and a Porsche.

I really need my prosciutto fix now. Would you bring some down to LA please? I usually eat some over at La Terza when Nancy Silverton has her Tues. night tavola.

How did you first meet the Batali's? Have you met Mario yet? You weren't that obnoxious to them, were you?

I don't remember La Terza when I lived in LA. Is it (relatively) new? I used to love going to Campanile and only bought La Brea Bakery breads.

I was going to Salumi once a week for a while. Now a average once every 2 weeks. This was since 2000. I met Armandino just after a few months of showing up all the time. Its was through Armandino that I met Gina, Brian, Marilyn, and all the staff at Salumi. I have yet to meet Mario. He was in the kitchen when I ate at Babbo, but I didn't want to be obtrusive.

I was asking for a dinner rez about every other time I showed up for a while. Armandino always responded with a little hemming and hawing and "talk to me next time you come in." I finally stopped asking for a while. One day I was in there with a lunch date (Armandino always sits with me when I come in with pretty girls) He says to her, "Henry is one of our best customers." I saw my opening and took it, "Well then, you should give me a dinner reservation." He responded, "You're right, I should." And that was that.

I'm grateful everyday that I have a job that I love, wonderful friends, and incredible support from a family that I love.

All I need now is to find the right girl......and a Porche.

I'm sure your PM mailbox is about to be bombarded with messages from hopeful girls. Good Luck!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A belated thank you for your blog. I have many talented architect friends, and they're all wonderful chefs as well. Coincidence? I think not. Anyway, two of them are temporarily relocating to Seattle (from Boston), and I'm going to recommend your blog as a good intro to the culinary highlights of your fair city.

And that salumi platter is killing me. Lamb prosciutto? be still my heart...

Henry, that meal at Salumi just looked incredible!

The place where I've spent most time in Italy is Siena, where among other things, I picked up a love for panforte. I'd talk more about my time there, but this is your blog. :biggrin:

The relationship between music an architecture is very close in a lot of ways, but there is a relationship between music and food, too. I like to explain to my music theory students that dissonance is as useful for music as salt and pepper are for food. I also like to make the analogy between certain very colorful chords and highly aromatic spices -- they give lots of flavor and nuance, but you don't want to overuse them and treat them as if they're ordinary. I also get mileage out of pie charts (always called pizza) in explaining the relationships between whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, and eighth notes to my beginning theory students. :wink:

Michael aka "Pan"

Love the flavor of the potstickers! Why, does it not sound appetizing?

No they sounded great, you didn't mention them either way. And it sounded like a must try recipe.

I make my carrot soup with more of a mexican influnce. I use a similar base but wiz in a roasted pablano and mix some honey and lime to drizzle in just before I serve it. I also do a little creme frachie artwork for fun.

I have been in a rutlately, cabin fever, you have got me back cooking again.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

A belated thank you for your blog.  I have many talented architect friends, and they're all wonderful chefs as well.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Anyway, two of them are temporarily relocating to Seattle (from Boston), and I'm going to recommend your blog as a good intro to the culinary highlights of your fair city.

And that salumi platter is killing me.  Lamb prosciutto?  be still my heart...

Please do. Have them give me a call, I love to meet fellow architects who are also into food.

The lamb prosciutto is every bit as good as it sounds! I'm sure you can find Salumi meats somewhere in Boston. They do a wholesale business all over the country. I can find out which restaurants they sell to if you'd like.

I'm going to Boston to sit on some architecture juries in May. They are going to take me out to dinner pretty much anywhere I want after. I suggested Oleana. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Henry, that meal at Salumi just looked incredible!

The place where I've spent most time in Italy is Siena, where among other things, I picked up a love for panforte. I'd talk more about my time there, but this is your blog. :biggrin:

The relationship between music an architecture is very close in a lot of ways, but there is a relationship between music and food, too. I like to explain to my music theory students that dissonance is as useful for music as salt and pepper are for food. I also like to make the analogy between certain very colorful chords and highly aromatic spices -- they give lots of flavor and nuance, but you don't want to overuse them and treat them as if they're ordinary. I also get mileage out of pie charts (always called pizza) in explaining the relationships between whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, and eighth notes to my beginning theory students. :wink:

I love Siena! Did you get to see the Palio in person? I was travelling when they had it and didn't get to see it. It must have been quite an experience. I'm sure you got to San Giminiano, I love the look of that town. Like an ancient highrise skyline from afar.

I think an "On Food and Music" blog is in order in the future.

No they sounded great, you didn't mention them either way. And it sounded like a must try recipe.

I do not like to comment on my own work. So that was on purpose. I'd say you must try it though. Next time I'd saute the shitakes and shallots before incorporating them into the filling. I'd also either hand chop most of the ingredients, or process them separately for a better texture.

I have been in a rutlately, cabin fever,  you have got me back cooking again.

That's one of the nicest complements I've heard. Thanks!

Lamb Stew with (I forgot the name) beans. I brought a pen, but was having such I great time I forgot to write things down. gallery_28660_2679_76291.jpg

Classic combination that never fails to please. There are so many types of white beans, the one that are that big in France here are called Soisson type but that name comes from the place where they are grown. Considering the type of eating I'd say they were maybe a type of fava bean, or a cannellini?

Delicious looking meal - I simply adore cured meats. Thank you for sharing that meal with us! You certainly had no trouble filling up the private room right away! Love the family style service of the dishes too. :smile:

Lamb Stew with (I forgot the name) beans. I brought a pen, but was having such I great time I forgot to write things down. gallery_28660_2679_76291.jpg

Classic combination that never fails to please. There are so many types of white beans, the one that are that big in France here are called Soisson type but that name comes from the place where they are grown. Considering the type of eating I'd say they were maybe a type of fava bean, or a cannellini?

Delicious looking meal - I simply adore cured meats. Thank you for sharing that meal with us! You certainly had no trouble filling up the private room right away! Love the family style service of the dishes too. :smile:

I just remembered. They are Corona beans. I should note that the ditalini and lamb dishes are single servings. I've eating nothing since Salumi and I'm still not hungry.

Have you been to my two favorite buildings in the world? La Tourette and Notre Dame du Ronchamp in Firminy? Both by Le Corbusier.

Since I skipped dinner tonight I thought I write a bit about some places in LA that I really miss. Keep in mind, I was on a student budget so my favorites are a bit different from the joints I'm writing about this week.

In-N-Out Burger - the best fast food burger in the universe. I only get the cheeseburger animal style.

Phillipe's the Original - Where the French dip sandwich was invented. Cole's claims this as well, but I like Phillipe's better so I'm more inclined to believe them. Edited to Add: I always order the Lamb sandwich, double dipped.

Versailles - It's a Cuban place (someone explain the name to me) in Santa monica. The best garlic chicken I've had. I think my breath is still suffering from a meal I had there in 1999.

Molly's - a little burger stand just south of Hollywood blvd. on Vine. The owner was this Korean guy who hand ripped the lettuce to make sure they were the exact diameter as the burger. You gotta love that kind of dedication!

Hot Wings Cafe - On Melrose just east of La Brea. Best hot wings this side of Bufffalo.

Tommy's - Chili Cheese burger and chili cheese fries! enough said!

Lares - Mexican joint on Pico. The best carnitas in LA.

Langer's - Pastrami on Rye. They used to bring takeout to my car so the drug dealers wouldn't shoot me.

The Apple Pan - Just a great burger! ETA:And the Apple Pie A La Mode is amazing!

Pink's - A better hot dog stand does not exist.

I'm forgetting lots of places I'm sure. Please add to my list and bring back some memories.

I love Siena! Did you get to see the Palio in person? I was travelling when they had it and didn't get to see it. It must have been quite an experience. I'm sure you got to San Giminiano, I love the look of that town. Like an ancient highrise skyline from afar.

I think an "On Food and Music" blog is in order in the future.

I did see the Palio in person in 1991, from the center of the Campo. Or, actually, I didn't have much of a view of the Palio itself, but did see the procession that took place before the actual race, and that was beautiful! Did you know that members of the contrada (neighborhood) that wins put pacifiers in their mouths as part of the celebration?

Yes, I've been to San Gimignano three times. I love their medieval skyscrapers, and they have great paintings there. I also ate well. I remember having cinghiale (wild boar) cooked in a red wine reduction for one of my meals.

We've had several blogs by musicians, including mine and the ones by Sam Kinsey and Kathleen Berger -- both opera singers. I don't know if any of us really focused a lot on the connections between music and food, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

Kudos on a fascinating blog! And what fun to see you list some of the classic LA good cheap eats as your faves, in contrast to the many fine dining Seattle restaurants you are enjoying. I agree, they each have their own unique appeal...so why not have it all?

Lobster.