• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Faidley's Crabcakes

morda

My husband was in Baltimore this past week and I had lurked around the board to get him some good eat recommendations (he went to Pazo, btw). After reading about Faidley's I told him it was imperative that he bring some crabcakes home to me. Well, apparently there was some miscommunication between him and the order-taker, and my husband is now on the way home with 3 uncooked crabcakes (and no coddies :sad: ). I think they sent along cooking directions as well, but here's my real dilemma. I'm not much of a deep fryer, although I can do it if forced too. But I really don't feel like heat up a whole pot of oil just cook three crabcakes. Has anyone had them broiled or baked? Will I be doing a major injustice to them? Should I just suck it up and go buy a big container of oil (peanut? canola?) and start cutting up potatoes?

TIA!

morda

Edited to add: I assume from their baseball-like shape that they can't be pan-fried. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by morda (log)

You can just shallow fry them, no need for a ginormous amount of oil. Just squish them down gently into a more pan-friendly shape?

You could also broil them. A lot of people prefer them that way.

Enjoy, whatever you do!

Edited by Basilgirl (log)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Basilgirl has beat me to the punch.

Either pan fry in a little oil or butter, or broil them and they will be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Though, you won't have the 100% Faidley's experience without frying it. It'll be a damn good crab cake either way, but fried is best and I think shallow-frying is a fair compromise.

Well folks, things have changed. The husband is home now and I just opened the package. Lo and behold, the crabcakes are COOKED. They have a distinct brown color. I'm warming them up in the oven as I type. The only confusion now what we got exactly. From the price my husband claims he paid (around $35), it doesn't seem like we could have gotten 3 jumbo lump crabcakes. But they sure look like lump-like. Backfin would be more shredded, wouldn't it? Maybe I should take a picture and post it...

Off to find the digital camera,

morda