• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I can't even guess what the device would be useful for otherwise, but I could see it holding a ladle or spoon with a heavy bowl put into place on the top "rack" ring above the "foot". Okay, you know what, it still seems really tippy on that narrow foot. I don't think it's a spoon holder, or else I can really see why she gave it away. xD

You and quiet 1 are both exactly right. But, unlike hers, neither mine nor this one have the little bowl on the bottom. I had to set it on a saucer which did make it unstable. Either that or put up with the mess. If you notice, it slopes slightly forward and that along with the fact that the ladles that they sell for Chinese restaurants are very heavy bottomed really does make them quite stable, just a mess to use.

• Like 2

It's the frame of a spoon holder without the pan.  I have one exactly like it.  Mine came with a wall grid system with several cooking tools and this could hang from a hook or sit on the counter.  It was not practical for heavy ladles or long spoons.  Wooden spoons were fine.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 7.18.02 AM.png

I've got this one also.

59cd068b94003_ScreenShot2017-09-28at7_24_45AM.thumb.png.ce099cf5f020f24f34084ec9f4050efe.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

44 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have finally given up on spoon rests because they're so messy.

Now I use wax paper squares that I can find at Costco (similar to that shown).  Better than a spoon rest as they can be simply thrown away after using.

Me too. Mine are smaller and square  and the box seems like it's going to last for eternity. Also useful on the scales when I'm weighing things and I found other uses also. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

It's a spoon holder - but usually has a stainless bowl in the base.

Yep. And I discovered with one of these you don't only have a spoon to clean you have a stand to clean and a  stainless steel bowl to clean. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Yep. And I discovered with one of these you don't only have a spoon to clean you have a stand to clean and a  stainless steel bowl to clean. 

It is a total p PIA!

I think I have owned every type of spoon rest made by man and I have hated them all. then I found this one. it is made of silicon and after I found out how good it was I went back and bought four more.When it gets messy I just pitch it in the dishwater and grab another.

20170928_081532(1).thumb.jpg.f75d9e120bf07fb363c3f01eb896d627.jpg
Here Is another little gem that I bought at the Chinese restaurant supply yesterday. I can see this being worth its weight in gold.

20170928_080341(1).thumb.jpg.c45256f7599c1ef3ff97b33657db118f.jpg

What is it?

I have one of these: 

Obviously mine says 'Linda's Spoons'.  It came by using Betty Crocker 'points'; remember those?

They would personalize it for you.  I still have mine though it now has a chip on the side.  It is still the best actual spoon rest, aside from the wax paper squares I use now.  But it is cute and I keep it next to the range.

Spoon-Rest-Round-Large-White-Blue-Floral-Personalized-for-Joanne

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It is a total p PIA!

I think I have owned every type of spoon rest made by man and I have hated them all. then I found this one. it is made of silicon and after I found out how good it was I went back and bought four more.When it gets messy I just pitch it in the dishwater and grab another.

Here Is another little gem that I bought at the Chinese restaurant supply yesterday. I can see this being worth its weight in gold.

What is it?

adjustable trivet

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Nah, it looks like it's made to grip something.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Close, but what?

A cat (for non-culinary purposes only).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It is a total p PIA!

What is it?

Canning tongs?

• Like 1

Plate lifter?

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Plate lifter?

You got it! I took a picture of it in action

20170928_081104(1).thumb.jpg.7fe99ce14dc877eb12998fdf6bcd9ca1.jpg

But I think probably this is how I will be using it. It will be great to take things out of the instant pot. Despite the way it looks, it is really very sturdy and I have held it upside down and sideways and it doesn't lose its grip.

20170928_113453(1).thumb.jpg.bd10c6be163827b338853af4128ffbce.jpg

This is a picture of the last treasure that I bought yesterday.

20170928_091848.thumb.jpg.5e7c1f2112f5aef04f6b91625ca3648b.jpg

What is it?

Looks like another plate lifter it to me. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Believe it or not, while Googling for something else I found something like this plate lifter for sale. And it just about the price that I paid for it. It's right here. It is called a 'Kitchen Anti-Scald Plate Bowl Dish Pot Holder Carrier Clamp Clip Handle Protect'.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)