• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

although the red handles don't look industrial at all.

You have to remember, though, that this thing could be a hundred years old and not only that, there's a possibility that it is European.

It could be something used in an obscure little Austrian factory to make celluloid collars, or it could be used to hold a cow's tail for slaughter or castration. We could beat this to death just by guessing for the next 10 years like they have done on the internet. We aren't likely to find anyone that has ever used one.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You have to remember, though, that this thing could be a hundred years old and not only that, there's a possibility that it is European.

It could be something used in an obscure little Austrian factory to make celluloid collars, or it could be used to hold a cow's tail for slaughter or castration. We could beat this to death just by guessing for the next 10 years like they have done on the internet. We aren't likely to find anyone that has ever used one.

Yeah...had I realized exactly how deep the rabbit hole ran, I probably wouldn't have posted it.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Should be a rule - The OP ( not you chromedome, just in general) must know what the device is so that we get some closure. Shouldn't take away from the hunt or deducing, but would enable people to see how close their guesses were.

p

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, palo said:

Should be a rule - The OP ( not you chromedome, just in general) must know what the device is so that we get some closure. Shouldn't take away from the hunt or deducing, but would enable people to see how close their guesses were.

That means I have to know the answer to a question before I ask it . . . ? 😜

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, palo said:

p

Wouldn't work ! A lot of people have gotten answers about that strange weird thing that grandma left them or that they bought at a garage sale. So, we may never get an answer on this one, it's still fun to see what people come up with. It's also fun to see that some people on EG have some really strange minds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, palo said:

p

We are an unruly bunch. 

• Haha 1

AnD

the most  visually 

possibly tasty

Rx's for the last year

have kept me going

as so many of you 

ave been able to find

such deliciousness 

for your selves 

your family

your companions

and 

as I matter most

ME !

e. e. rotuts

not quite the same as 

e.e.cumiings 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

It looks like it's a single-handed device, leaving the other hand free...to do what? 

It has a thickness locking mechanism and the one picture of the inside of the "blade" doesn't look like it has a grating function, but the texture of it looks like it might be used more for gripping and holding something. 

I am leaning to the afore-mentioned guess of fish tail holder while scaling it with the other hand.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

It looks like it's a single-handed device, leaving the other hand free...to do what? 

It has a thickness locking mechanism and the one picture of the inside of the "blade" doesn't look like it has a grating function, but the texture of it looks like it might be used more for gripping and holding something. 

I am leaning to the afore-mentioned guess of fish tail holder while scaling it with the other hand.

That would be a helluva huge fish, to need the largest openings. :blink: Then again, I guess I've seen them that big out in the ocean.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Here's one that's been puzzling us for years.    Obviously handmade, with a handful of "keys" for various extrusions.    But for what?    Chamber for raw product is small, less than 2 cubic inches.    IMG_1021.thumb.jpg.3ce67f82fd8212a5b3808b3f195ec647.jpgIMG_1019.thumb.jpg.c2b8ffa66dcd98d788966f85fc12b91f.jpg

IMG_1016.thumb.jpg.76c6d82ed7508ee549c10edaebc29c66.jpgIMG_1017.thumb.jpg.e82fb5038b3214135bc8bf099ac13b2f.jpgIMG_1020.thumb.jpg.7561def33fe4512e0888d74f9eefdc05.jpg

You could make custom candy sprinkles.  A small amount of fondant or gum paste pushed through and sliced thin would make a decent number of decorative sprinkles.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Here's one that's been puzzling us for years.    Obviously handmade, with a handful of "keys" for various extrusions.    But for what?    Chamber for raw product is small, less than 2 cubic inches.    IMG_1021.thumb.jpg.3ce67f82fd8212a5b3808b3f195ec647.jpgIMG_1019.thumb.jpg.c2b8ffa66dcd98d788966f85fc12b91f.jpg

IMG_1016.thumb.jpg.76c6d82ed7508ee549c10edaebc29c66.jpgIMG_1017.thumb.jpg.e82fb5038b3214135bc8bf099ac13b2f.jpgIMG_1020.thumb.jpg.7561def33fe4512e0888d74f9eefdc05.jpg

Cookie press?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Cookie press?

Carpenter scribe. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Carpenter scribe. 

Looks a lot like a manual version of my Ankarsrum cookie press attachment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It will do the same thing as this gadget:

https://www.amazon.com/Rose-Gold-Cake-Extruders-Types/dp/B01M7XBJ19/ref=asc_df_B01M7XBJ19/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=219491607334&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1053038144961134863&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004223&hvtargid=pla-360124723378&psc=1

dcarch

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

You could make custom candy sprinkles.  A small amount of fondant or gum paste pushed through and sliced thin would make a decent number of decorative sprinkles.

I agree with the sprinkles idea since the chamber is so small - I don't think it could be for cookies, or cake or anything like that.

• Like 1