• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

31 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Spending time at home this week and so I decided to go through the gadget drawer to keep myself busy.  Found this odd orange tool that I've never used.  I happen to have a penchant for buying gadgets at Asian markets, but then stow them away and never use them.  I figure this must be a carrot cutter due to the orange color, and probably to cut carrot ribbons.  Well either my technique is bad or the tool is bad, but it actually made something that surprised me and I think is more creative than a carrot ribbon.  This is a carrot "flower" with a grape tomato bud.

Kinda reminds me of a pencil sharpener.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, David Ross said:

I still use some old gadgets that were my Mother's and even Grandmother and Great Aunt.  Like a little wire whisk and an old flour sifter.  Thing is got some bits of rust on it and looks like it was made in 1910 but it still works great.

I have my great-grandmother's pastry wheel (cutter & crimper) which is certainly still usable, but I'm reluctant to actually employ it. I can't help but feel that use and washing would do it no favors, because of its vintage (WW1 era...I also have my great-grandfather's regimental tobacco pouch from the same time frame).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

And it works like one!

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

And it works like one!

Reminded me of the zucchini noodle twister. And for nostalgia the pencil sharpener mounted for some odd reason on our garage shelf 

pencil.JPG

z.JPG

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, heidih said:

Reminded me of the zucchini noodle twister. And for nostalgia the pencil sharpener mounted for some odd reason on our garage shelf 

pencil.JPG

z.JPG

My Grandfather also had a pencil sharpener attached to his work bench in the garage. I guess he must have used it to sharpen pencils when he was measuring wood to cut and make something.  That zuchinni gadget is interesting.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:55 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This cooking mold is cast iron, well seasoned on top but bottom reveals crude finish or grain.    The indentations are very shallow, maybe 1/3" deep. at  most

1876207360_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.daac9f8d1d0a8bed5ed3aaefcdcfd905.JPG   1615939777_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.3ad767f25c95d7376a0a1bca68139b2c.JPG

History:  I had read about a SouthEast Asian snack made in a dimpled stovetop pan.    So when I fell over this at a flea market for $1., I couldn't turn it down.    It's been kicking around for maybe a decade, and of course I've forgotten the story behind the original incentive.  

Anyone know what this really is, what it's for and where it's from?   

It looks like a very old Takoyaki pan.   I have a very old one that has flattened sections, smaller than yours and rather crudely made to be used on a brazier. 

1449212755_Octapuspancopy.jpg.8fddce4115e854858e92c9eee217259a.jpgI have had this one for about 20 years, handles shape like octapi  to indicate the use, just in case a person wasn't sure.

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That is s stunning piece, Andie.  Wonderful patina and delightful shape!    Thank you for this.   Have you ever used it?   

No. Someone gave it to me because I used to collect cast iron and liked odd things.  And this was quite odd.  I have sold most of my cast iron. I have a couple of skillets  left.  A Volrath a later Griswold and a couple of griddles, an actual abdelskiver pan and this. i was going to put in on ebay but never got around to it.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

After reading about the LoafNest here I checked it out at Amazon.  The price there was $199 USD, same as at the LoafNest website.  However, a google search this morning turned up this.

Curious, no?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

After reading about the LoafNest here I checked it out at Amazon.  The price there was $199 USD, same as at the LoafNest website.  However, a google search this morning turned up this.

Curious, no?

Indeed.  That price is very low.  Perhaps too good to be true?  

This BBB page on the vendor does not sound promising. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

While this may not be  unusual or unknown, I've been wanting one for a while; it's allegedly the perfect tool for the grated carrot salad I've been making, as well as the celery root remoulade.

It's probably circa 1970s, but inside the box looks brand new. Made in France.

897200749_MouliJulienne.jpeg.3104d74c487286ae80d84614f4f7a3bb.jpeg

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

While this may not be  unusual or unknown, I've been wanting one for a while; it's allegedly the perfect tool for the grated carrot salad I've been making, as well as the celery root remoulade.

I had the same one! Wonder what happened to it.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I recall the TV ads. I wanted one even though I did no cooking.

• Haha 1

I used to have a vintage Moulinex "Jeannette," which was a sort of bridge between the hand-cranked slicers/shredders and the later food processors. It also doubled as a (sadly underpowered) meat grinder.

Vintage MOULINEX JEANNETTE SLICER SHREDDER in box 4 Drum 120 volt ...

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I recall the TV ads. I wanted one even though I did no cooking.

I had one of those! Forgot all about it; no idea what happened to it. My first coffee grinder was a Moulinex. Very reliable, and they sold replacement blades. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I had one of those probably 20 years ago or so.  A couple years ago I bought one of these  when I started having arthritis issues in my hands.  It's sort of an electric version of the Moulinex and very easy to use.  I admit to grating a lot more cheese these days now that I don't have to use a box grater.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Wherever did you find this?  

• 2 weeks later...

@weinoo 

a frying basket .  for making those potato stick  baskets

that you then fill w something tasty

like a birds nest but made w potato sticks

is there a Prize ?   

maybe a bacon-cheeseburger ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2