• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

Drainage? Wet feet?

Good point!  I'll keep searching it. Thank you!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I am stubbornly sticking with berry bowl. 

Click.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@Anna N I respectfully submit that you are short on holes!

Not me. The bowl may be. But I searched a lot of berry bowls and the number of holes was all over the place. I’m still waiting for a better function for it unless the holes are purely decorative which is not unheard of either. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, dcarch said:

Most ceramic hanging planters do not provide drainage.

dcarch

well you explain it to the customer when it craps out. Succs you can underwater but herbs - years doing that.

Edited by heidih (log)

I inherited this old mold from a French baker who died yrs ago, it came in his box of old handcrafted pastry tools.

The workmanship is incredible, all hand soldered from tin plate, held closed by a pin, remove the pin and it unfolds into 3 hinged sections.

This particular tool is the smaller of two, the other being almost double in size.

I tried to load a couple of pics but failed but made a 2 minute video showing it.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, retired baker said:

I inherited this old mold from a French baker who died yrs ago, it came in his box of old handcrafted pastry tools.

The workmanship is incredible, all hand soldered from tin plate, held closed by a pin, remove the pin and it unfolds into 3 hinged sections.

This particular tool is the smaller of two, the other being almost double in size.

I tried to load a couple of pics but failed but made a 2 minute video showing it.

So?

You win the grand prize, I can only post a few mssgs per day being a new member so I wasn't ignoring you.

I filled the mold with pastillage and inserted a dowel which goes into the cake beneath. Not sure exactly how the French do it but it worked.

I'll probably give them to a wedding cake baker at some point, would prefer they don't end up trashed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

This cooking mold is cast iron, well seasoned on top but bottom reveals crude finish or grain.    The indentations are very shallow, maybe 1/3" deep. at  most

1876207360_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.daac9f8d1d0a8bed5ed3aaefcdcfd905.JPG   1615939777_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.3ad767f25c95d7376a0a1bca68139b2c.JPG

History:  I had read about a SouthEast Asian snack made in a dimpled stovetop pan.    So when I fell over this at a flea market for $1., I couldn't turn it down.    It's been kicking around for maybe a decade, and of course I've forgotten the story behind the original incentive.  

Anyone know what this really is, what it's for and where it's from?   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

25 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Okay.    Here seems to be the deal.    They are sweet!    I was expecting/hoping for savory, salty, maybe seafood garnish.    Oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHWdFd_MwcU

They are certainly not savory!    Particularly with the 'wiped' cream addition.

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I was expecting/hoping for savory, salty, maybe seafood garnish.    Oh well...

I don't think the batter itself is sweet so there's no reason why you shouldn't top them with a bit of smoked salmon and dill or sour cream and caviar like little blini.

I also saw a recipe for a version with spinach and cheese in the batter.  Sounds like something fun to play with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Spending time at home this week and so I decided to go through the gadget drawer to keep myself busy.  Found this odd orange tool that I've never used.  I happen to have a penchant for buying gadgets at Asian markets, but then stow them away and never use them.  I figure this must be a carrot cutter due to the orange color, and probably to cut carrot ribbons.  Well either my technique is bad or the tool is bad, but it actually made something that surprised me and I think is more creative than a carrot ribbon.  This is a carrot "flower" with a grape tomato bud.

Carrot Flowers.JPG

• Like 11

Oh goodness you have taken me way back. My mom (deceased '83)  had a box of Thai food cutters, Stepmother tossed it so no image. All these cool cuts you see in some Thai food images. Ggrrr  Replacing not an option personally. 

Edited by heidih (log)

I still use some old gadgets that were my Mother's and even Grandmother and Great Aunt.  Like a little wire whisk and an old flour sifter.  Thing is got some bits of rust on it and looks like it was made in 1910 but it still works great.

• Like 1