• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

2 hours ago, nickrey said:

Does anyone know what these are? I’ve included my thumb to give an indication of size.

17D73C2B-7583-4B98-BD1B-9A60003E5960.jpeg

Maybe a cocktail pick or seafood pick?  But both those are usually longer and slimmer.

Steak markers and the other sides say rare, medium, well?  Fancy corn cob picks?

2 hours ago, nickrey said:

Does anyone know what these are?

Cheese knives? Buttons? What ever are cheese buttons?

Edited by Anna N
To add?’s And a question (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I googled other items from Urban Cutlery but not these specific implements.  Since they are a set, I assume they are intended to open some poor* Australian creature at the table.

*possibly venomous.

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I

5 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

are there any markings on the box that give more info on the manufacturer?

I have no idea. They were a present and have been sitting in my cupboard. My best guess so far is a knife to lever out pieces from a crystallised cheese such as Parmesan. 

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

19 hours ago, nickrey said:

I

I have no idea. They were a present and have been sitting in my cupboard. My best guess so far is a knife to lever out pieces from a crystallised cheese such as Parmesan. 

Ok, I think I have it.

They are put into cheese on a cheese platter so that the cheese can be cut without someone touching the cheese to do so. It's probably more of a "cheese handle" rather than its apparent name of "cheese button."

• Like 6

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Yes, they are cheese buttons or cheese "picks"  I have some that are cut off antique forks that had the tines flattened so they are straight.  

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 12/29/2019 at 1:10 PM, nickrey said:

Ok, I think I have it.

They are put into cheese on a cheese platter so that the cheese can be cut without someone touching the cheese to do so. It's probably more of a "cheese handle" rather than its apparent name of "cheese button."

A solution to a problem I didn't know I had

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

My Daughter in Law found this lovely dish and came to me wondering what it is.  I am clueless!  Does anyone recognize what this would be used for?

dish 2.jpg

dish.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I am thinking it is a berry bowl. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you everyone, that is what it looks like it might be, tho it was sold as kitchenware. 

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!