• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Top lid for tiffin box?

dcarch

Let us try this again.  This contraption consists of four parts. There is a wooden base with a projection. There are three stainless steel “plates”. Each of these three plates has an oval hole cut in it which fits over the projection on the wooden base. The underside of each of the plates is felt-covered. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Yiannos said:

Could it maybe be just a sort of fancy set of serving plates for pastries, bread, charcuterie, or other dry stuff? I can't imagine anything else but service ware with those felt bottoms.

Still weird with the holes in them.

• Like 1

Looking through all the Artidinox products - there is nothing like this currently for sale - but they seem to make bowls for serving curries etc and I wonder if this might be the plate for under the bowl.

It looks like serving trays of some sort.

Or it's a graduate-level ring toss game

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Oh.  I somehow thought it was one piece hence my wrong answer.

Sorry. I knew what it was and so assumed that the photographs made it as clear to you as it did to me. Obviously I was mistaken. 

I don’t know what it is. What I meant was I know what the pieces are  and how they fit together.

Edited by Anna N
Edited for some clarification I hope (log)
  • Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

44 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Definitely not worth $5.99.

Oh, I think the puzzle alone is worth that!

@Anna N, do those things have a flat section around the oval hole, or are they cupped over the entire surface?

I keep thinking of what we call "cocktail plates" that have a hole to hold one's stemware, so that one can hold the plate with the stemware and have another hand free for eating. The felt backing doesn't make sense with that, though - and neither does having the hole smack in the middle of the "plate"!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

the three w felt stack on top of the ( last one ) that is stainless steel ?

and the SS one does not come off ?

or are the felt ones under the SS one ?

Now even @Kerry Bealand I are arguing about what it actually looked like and functioned like!    😂

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

She didn't buy it??

No. We took a photograph of it to amuse/ befuddle all the wonderful people on eG. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

so :

three oval things , each w a circular steel thing in the middle ?

where does the felt bottomed circular thing fit on ?

there is only one of those ?

I will invite @Kerry Beal to respond. I am busy banging my head against the wall.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

better go back for further deconstruction and analysis.

of course , once its figured out

it will be obvious.

So the bottom piece of stainless with the wooden 'spike' in it was the stand and the other 3 pieces of stainless with the felt on the bottom of each fit down over top of the spike. Kind of like a coaster holder but with a hole in the middle. 

This is a Value Village square in the middle of a largely Indian community. A lot of the stainless we saw in there were Indian food based pieces.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

an Indian " Bar Puzzle " ?

you put a plate on top of these , then eat off the plate ?

I was hoping to wait a bit for a large dose of M.R.

but ...

Unknown-1.jpeg.00a192083e831faf2126de0670785747.jpeg

better call the thrift shop soon

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2