• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

almost apropos...

the worst poptops were the original Coors cans. They were two perforated circles that you'd push in.

Not cutting your thumb had a learning curve

image.png.20dee5026a856b14a6d073a08df845a0.png

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

"Ring pull" is not a term I've heard.

Might be English English.

I'm referring to this type of thing. So-named because you pull the ring to open the can.

ringpull.thumb.jpg.dd219c389fe7aa3d8de4d1a38c6f2e3c.jpg

I thought, @gfweb was referring to this type of bottle top which you pop off.

1313585325_bottlecap.thumb.jpg.8cc59de60f915bbd8296b80ee2991ff9.jpg

So, it appears we do have terminology confusion. Apologies to all.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Where can I buy one?

For the opener, Japan.

For the Guinness, Ireland.

There are various similar devices on Amazon, but I'm not sure if they have Guinness.

I've just noticed that there is an English translation of that Japanese on the packaging. They give it as "PET bottle and Pull-top opener".  I am hoping that PET refers to Polyethylene terephthalate and not that the Japanese sell pets in bottles.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

That's the one. Or almost identical, but I paid the equivalent of $1.50!

I found one for $7.95 and ordered.

http://amzn.com/B07HMJRY85

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Might be English English.

I'm referring to this type of thing. So-named because you pull the ring to open the can.

ringpull.thumb.jpg.dd219c389fe7aa3d8de4d1a38c6f2e3c.jpg

I thought, @gfweb was referring to this type of bottle top which you pop off.

1313585325_bottlecap.thumb.jpg.8cc59de60f915bbd8296b80ee2991ff9.jpg

So, it appears we do have terminology confusion. Apologies to all.

The term for the device with which one opens this sort of bottle is "church key."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, kayb said:

The term for the device with which one opens this sort of bottle is "church key."

I was a high schooler/underaged drinker before the breweries switched to screw-off bottle caps. Millennials are always impressed by my ability to pop the cap from a bottle using just about anything, but it was a knack born of necessity since I was absent-minded and didn't reliably remember where I'd put my church key.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My package of two Multifunctional Bottle Openers arrived.  Clever idea, though it pains me how little it must cost to make these things.  Nonetheless I think I'll find them helpful.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, liuzhou said:

Here is mine. Never leave home without it.

20190127_114602.thumb.jpg.f341e6bea02e7372171143a9bc3006ef.jpg

I have the exact same one. Got it off eBay for less than $3. Love it.

Edit: Here's the original: https://www.suckukstore.com/collections/kitchen/products/key-bottle-opener

Edited by Vapre (log)

• 2 months later...

Anyone like to take a stab at this: 

1D348346-714E-413A-AED2-CD46BF7B5133.thumb.jpeg.a7616801af074c1f037862a8152a5f39.jpeg

81155351-15C4-416E-821A-EA3591FBDE33.thumb.jpeg.eeac60343cc6f58901627dc16c7cf119.jpeg

C0FD4A3E-7E3A-4FA1-82D9-70888F00B3FE.thumb.jpeg.d6ad07d24f1737b3d5ddbe2c64caea20.jpeg

• Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The shape of it reminds me of an oval slow cooker lid.

But if you look very closely you’ll see there are three of these things stacked on a wooden base.  They would not be much use as a lid because of the hole in them.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Apparently our photographs are not as good as I had hoped.  What you are looking at is a wooden base on which perch three stainless steel oval something or others with the upright piece on the wooden base fitting neatly into the oval hole in the stainless steel pieces.

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Apparently our photographs are not as good as I had hoped.  What you are looking at is a wooden base on which perch three stainless steel oval something or others with the upright piece on the wooden base fitting neatly into the oval hole in the stainless steel pieces.

Yeah, I totally didn't get the wooden base aspect of it. I thought the oval part was the base, and that there were three of those round center bits with the punchout for the handle.

Equally mystified, but now at least I'm correctly mystified. :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning