• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

50 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

You said it wasn't Chinese .  Otherwise my guess would have been to break up clumps of rice before serving it.  Far fetched I know.

I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose it could be used that way. Not what the manufacturer intended, though.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

As no one has come close, I'll give a little clue. Think Japanese cuisine. But not sushi.

I would never have guessed either, if I hadn't been able to read the packaging and see its illustrations.

If no one has guessed by tomorrow I'll reveal all and put you out of your misery! :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

As no one has come close, I'll give a little clue. Think Japanese cuisine. But not sushi.

I would never have guessed either, if I hadn't been able to read the packaging and see its illustrations.

If no one has guessed by tomorrow I'll reveal all and put you out of your misery! :D

Swine! Old African saying: "Do not put off for tomorrow what can be revealed today" xD

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

It keeps the octopus in the stockpot? (bad Iron Chef reference)

Actually, I was wondering if it was used to keep something open, like when being filled. For example, I could see putting a par-cooked piece of cannellloni on the end and filling it up while the tool holds it open.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

It keeps the octopus in the stockpot? (bad Iron Chef reference)

Actually, I was wondering if it was used to keep something open, like when being filled. For example, I could see putting a par-cooked piece of cannellloni on the end and filling it up while the tool holds it open.

Another great idea, but not what the manufacturer intended. Alas.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Time to put you out of your misery!

What we have here is a Miso Muddler. You stick the business end into the miso paste and twist it. Extracting it carries out the correct quantity for a standard serving of miso soup. Put this into boiling water and stir, so that the paste dissolves.

Here is the packaging

mm1.thumb.jpg.14251e599c10407f69121a3d3356509f.jpg

And a close up of the thing in use.

mm2.thumb.jpg.5494c3cd0eb94ff96824103e69f6dd8a.jpg

Some alternative designs can be seen here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Time to put you out of your misery!

What we have here is a Miso Muddler. You stick the business end into the miso paste and twist it. Extracting it carries out the correct quantity for a standard serving of miso soup. Put this into boiling water and stir, so that the paste dissolves.

Here is the packaging

mm1.thumb.jpg.14251e599c10407f69121a3d3356509f.jpg

And a close up of the thing in use.

mm2.thumb.jpg.5494c3cd0eb94ff96824103e69f6dd8a.jpg

Some alternative designs can be seen here.

I have The Japanese Culinary Academy's Complete Japanese Cuisine volume on fermented foods.  English language edition.  Beautiful photographs and many, many words on miso.  No such device is mentioned.  Nor in my other half a dozen Japanese culinary works.

Also I checked amazon and all the Japanese kitchen supply stores I have dealt with, as well as all the other English language sources I could find on line.

Obviously this device does not exist.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Obviously this device does not exist.

Yes, all these pictures were faked by the same people who did the moon landings. And a simple Google search for "miso muddler" brings up many English language links referencing its use. Obviously fake.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, all these pictures were faked by the same people who did the moon landings. And a simple Google search for "miso muddler" brings up many English languages referencing its use. Obviously fake.

I think Jo's sense of humour may not have come through very well. 

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, heidih said:

It does seem  wasteful in an overall frugal cuisine

In what way does it strike you as wasteful?

It seems to me to be the opposite, allowing one to measure an appropriate amount rather than  too much, and then stir it into the water without needing another tool.Two for the price of one.

• Like 1