• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

I now understand the meaning of a Labor Of Love.  You are a very lucky lady to be able to inspire something like that.  And it will only get better over time....

• Like 6

That's amazing, a truly exceptional engineering work.  And it looks like it is sturdy enough to use as a batticarne.

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

He's the same guy who did this knife business for me: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153918-chinese-kitchenware/?do=findComment&comment=2086324

But then again, the man can tie a cherry stem with just his tongue, so his skills are diverse and highly impressive in general! xD

https://m.facebook.com/kpritch515/posts/10155274840459122

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, lindag said:

Wait!  I just saw this on Amazon.  Looks exactly the same as far as I can tell.

And it's 6 bucks?!  I may have to grab one.

There is also 

this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, lindag said:

But it's $15 instead of $6.  For $6, I'd take a chance that it'd end up in the garage with the other unused items.

But it also has a track record with many many reviews! :D. Be interesting to see what you decide and how it works.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought one of these here in China a while back. Cost me $1 USD.

I bought more for amusement value, but, to my surprise, I use it all the time.

spinner.jpg

Cooking for one most of the time, I find it ideal for chopping herbs, or onions etc.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Someone gave me one with the BliGli name as a joke gift some time ago.  She picked it up locally in a Kitchen store in what is left of our "factory outlet" mall.  

They carry some cookware and a few appliances but mainly the store sells utensils and gadgets.

I love to poke around in there and see what I can find that is interesting.

They have an enormous selection of microwave cooking containers and accessories.  

For some unknown reason, I often see a lot of men in there - all ages.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, lindag said:

So I just saw this mini chopper on another thread.

And there's a writeup about it here.

It doesn't look like it's currently available in the U.S.

Anyone seen this locally?

That is a funny writeup.  I haven't seen that model (or the others mentioned already) but I've been reasonably happy with my Starfrit chopper of a similar design. It doesn't seem available any longer on Amazon, but the basic concept seems to be well-established.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11 June 2017 at 7:46 PM, Smithy said:

That is a funny writeup.  I haven't seen that model (or the others mentioned already) but I've been reasonably happy with my Starfrit chopper of a similar design. It doesn't seem available any longer on Amazon, but the basic concept seems to be well-established.

Most French kitchens will have (and the inhabitants will use) a variation on these devices.  Why go complicated when these simple gadgets can do the job with elegance?  

• Like 1

The fastest way to become a millionaire in the food business:

Design a gizmo that will do the job of a knife.  Doing it poorly is ok.  Taking more time to do it than a knife would is ok.  Being a pia to clean up is ok.  

Sell it.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, daveb said:

The fastest way to become a millionaire in the food business:

Design a gizmo that will do the job of a knife.  Doing it poorly is ok.  Taking more time to do it than a knife would is ok.  Being a pia to clean up is ok.  

Sell it.  

Yep, that's OXO.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm prepping for dinner tomorrow night. Here are some gadgets that might be used. Any guesses??

15004245833261840085506.jpg

Edited by DanM (log)
  • Like 1

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

On 05/12/2016 at 5:05 AM, liuzhou said:

About a week ago, I had a sudden urgent need for a carrot, so I headed for the nearest carrot store. It's about five minutes from my home. I seldom go there, not that there really is anything wrong with it other than their selection being a bit limited - they only have the essentials.

Anyway, after selecting the carrot most suitable for my exacting needs, I spotted these things on a shelf. I had no idea what they were, so I asked the sole member of staff - apparently a 12-year-old-girl. The only way I can accurately translate her Chinese is to say that she said "Dunno!" in a tone of voice which rather suggested she left off the second part "and I don't *^&^^% care!".

Sold! I bought it!

thing.jpg

Just as I was leaving the tiny palace of delights, if you find carrots delightful, I spotted a bit of cardboard on the floor near the pile of things, on which were a mere two Chinese characters accurately describing its intended function. Any guesses?

The "bowl" has a capacity of about half a litre.

The game 'Pelota' springs to mind. (google if you like)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm guessing the wooden thing is for pushing the felafel off the form.

The little thing protruding just underneath the felafel "bowls" is part of the mechanism that releases the felafel out of the form. I'm thinking the wooden board is unrelated to the felafel altogether and used for something else. 

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@DanM what size do you like for making your falafel.  I am currently deciding on which size to get.  Do you use it for making meat balls too?

As you can see from this YouTube video (there are others), a falafel press makes flying saucer patties, not spherical ones. Here's a meatball scoop.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer