• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

IMG_0109.jpg

Can anyone identify what this might be? Kerry and I found it while browsing in a thrift store. We are not even sure that all these pieces belong together. There are no electrical inputs in anything. The object to the far right is metal with a stone-like center. The instructions say something like "do not place food directly on surface; do not store until completely cool" do not attempt to disassemble. The bits between the stone and the out rim are just cardboard inserts which seem to serve as stabilizer for shipment. The other pieces may or may not belong. Thanks for any clues.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think they are two different things. The one on the left looks like a Korean BBQ grill and the one on the right may be a stone BBQ. Is this what it looks like? http://tinyurl.com/88wgp5u

Yes, I think that is it. Can you explain how it is used? Much appreciated if you can.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I'm not really sure how to use the stone BBQ I just recognised it from an Asian market I frequent.

Thanks for identifying it. Kerry and I studied it for some time but could not fathom how it would be heated. I did not buy it so at this point I just need to satisfy our curiousity.

My 2004 eG Blog

My Korean hair stylist friend (has been doing my hair for fifteen years), has a couple of these that she uses on a gas stove top and has a smaller one, similar to the one in your photo, that she uses on a little round charcoal brazier at the table.

The meat juices drain down into a drip pan under the stone if it is like hers.

I've been to her home a few times for traditional Korean meals where these were used.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My Korean hair stylist friend (has been doing my hair for fifteen years), has a couple of these that she uses on a gas stove top and has a smaller one, similar to the one in your photo, that she uses on a little round charcoal brazier at the table.

I've been to her home a few times for traditional Korean meals where these were used.

Had it not been for the warning on the appliance itself "Do Not Put Food Directly on Surface" I might have figured it out as your friend describes. I have one of the metal ones that I have used over a portable butane burner but that warning still throws me off. Thanks for the information, Andie.

My 2004 eG Blog

Had it not been for the warning on the appliance itself "Do Not Put Food Directly on Surface" I might have figured it out as your friend describes. I have one of the metal ones that I have used over a portable butane burner but that warning still throws me off. Thanks for the information, Andie.

And the answer is Voila!

My 2004 eG Blog

And the answer is Voila!

Thanks, Anna. Looked up the site for fun and was surprised to see that I had seen one of these outfits for sale in Moab. Took it up to the front to ask...but no one knew what it was or what it was for exactly. Didn't buy it. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 9 months later...

IMG_0455.jpg

Check out this fellow I picked up at the reuse center today. I've seen it there a few times in the last few weeks and couldn't figure out what it was. Today I saw one in use at a local european food store and mentioned to the fellow that I'd seen one for sale for $20. He essentially called me a liar - thought I must be mistaken with what I'd seen - so of course I had to go pick it up to prove him wrong. Now just have to find a home for it.

Any guesses?

Someone gave me one a few years ago like this one I used it once and it is in its box in my storeroom gathering dust.

I did a search for TTM raclette and this pages shows yours or very similar.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I was told that I was getting a raclette, I thought it was one of the flat ones with the little pans that go under the flat part and the top can be used for grilling vegetables, mushrooms, etc.

I would probably have used that type but this one was just too awkward and required a much too large chunk of cheese as I don't entertain large numbers.

When I was told that I was getting a raclette, I thought it was one of the flat ones with the little pans that go under the flat part and the top can be used for grilling vegetables, mushrooms, etc.

I would probably have used that type but this one was just too awkward and required a much too large chunk of cheese as I don't entertain large numbers.

Would have been more useful back in your catering days!

Would have been more useful back in your catering days!

No one had heard of raclette when I was actively catering (and occasionally working as a "personal" chef). Fondue was still popular and I had (and still have) several of the extra-large warming trays so I could have a "fondue bar" with several types in pretty ceramic pots - I had a bunch of the fancy decorated "bean pots" which were perfect for this.

I wanted the raclette for brunches as I had "ideas" for cheese and egg dishes that I thought would work.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a "gadget" currently on ebay - a 4-section "pipe tin" or round loaf pan, obviously used, and I so state.

Instead of posting a question I got a rather convoluted private question about the uses for it.

So, if one sees an ad for a bread pan (or cake, if one is an expert) that forms the shape when the dough rises into the top part, 

WHY WOULD someone ask if it could be used as a JELLO MOLD???

I have been puzzling over this one since early this morning.  I answered, no it was not suitable for a Jello mold.  I'm not even sure it would hold a liquid.  I have baked pound cakes and sponge cake in it but I've had a fair amount of experience knowing how much these cakes will rise.  Then I thought, why does anyone want to make a Jello log?  I asked but the questioner has not replied.

Pipe tin pan 1.JPG

Pipe tin pan 2.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2