• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

45 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Please, I need your help. I can't imagine what this wok would be used for. That piece in the middle is welded to the wok. Do you have any idea how this would be used? I saw this in my Chinese restaurant supply place and the young man that owns the store wasn't much help. The wok is about 14 or 16 in. wide. It looks like it would make a heck of a good chip and dip dish but I can't imagine the Chinese sitting down to a feast of chip and dip. Much less, eating them out of a wok.

It's not actually a wok. It's a northern Chinese/Mongolian hotpot chafing dish.

A soup is cooked elsewhere then added to the outer ring. Various ingredients (lamb/mutton and vegetables) are added by the diners, who essentially cook dinner themselves in the soup - fondue style.  Very popular in winter. In fact, I hate winter food in China. It's the same every day.

Here in the south we don't have the dishes with the central funnel/pot. The central pots seem to have various uses. I'm not sure which is most traditional. (Your chip and dip analogy may not be so far off. I confess I had to Google 'chip and dip'.)  I will consult wiser people than me in the morning.

You caught me at bedtime - I'll add more tomorrow, unless someone chips or dips in first.

liuzhou

liuzhou

42 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Please, I need your help. I can't imagine what this wok would be used for. That piece in the middle is welded to the wok. Do you have any idea how this would be used? I saw this in my Chinese restaurant supply place and the young man that owns the store wasn't much help. The wok is about 14 or 16 in. wide. It looks like it would make a heck of a good chip and dip dish but I can't imagine the Chinese sitting down to a feast of chip and dip. Much less, eating them out of a wok.

It's not actually a wok. It's a northern Chinese/Mongolian hotpot chafing dish. AKA, a shabu shabu pot  in Japan.

A soup is cooked elsewhere then added to the outer ring. Various ingredients (lamb/mutton and vegetables) are added by the diners, who essentially cook dinner themselves in the soup - fondue style.  Very popular in winter. In fact, I hate winter food in China. It's the same every day.

Here in the south we don't have the dishes with the central funnel/pot. The central pots seem to have various uses. I'm not sure which is most traditional. (Your chip and dip analogy may not be so far off. I confess I had to Google 'chip and dip'.)  I will consult wiser people than me in the morning.

You caught me at bedtime - I'll add more tomorrow, unless someone chips or dips in first.

liuzhou

liuzhou

41 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It's not actually a wok. It's a northern Chinese/Mongolian hotpot chafing dish. AKA, a shabu shabu pot  in Japan.

Here in the south we don't have the dishes with the central funnel/pot. The pots seem to have various uses. I'm not sure which is most traditional. (Your chip and dip analogy may not be so far off. I confess I had to Google 'chip and dip'.)

liuzhou

liuzhou

40 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Here in the south we don't have the dishes with the central funnel/pot. The pots seem to have various uses. I'm not sure which is most traditional. (Your chip and dip analogy may not be so far off. I confess I had to Google 'chip and dip'.)

You caught me at bedtime - I'll add more tomorrow, unless someone chips in first.

liuzhou

liuzhou

37 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Here in the south we don't have the dishes with the central funnel/pot. The pots seem to have various uses. I'm not sure which is most traditional.

You caught me at bedtime - I'll add more tomorrow, unless someone chips in first.

liuzhou

liuzhou

32 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

A soup is cooked elsewhere then added to the outer ring. Various ingredients are added by the diners, who essentially cook it themselves in the soup - fondue style.  Very popular in winter. In fact, I hate winter food in China. It's the same every day.

Here in the south we don't have the dishes with the central funnel/pot. The pots seem to have various uses. I'm not sure which is most traditional.

You caught me at bedtime - I'll add moore tomorrow, unless someone chips in first.