• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual & mysterious kitchen gadgets

andiesenji

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

One of my favorite finds.   Husband swears he found it.    Memory is a fickle companion.

46142226_ScreenShot2021-08-27at9_14_10AM.png.a1fb4ffe9b08bd8be1226be02552bd11.png

Actually, I was looking for one.   He hadn't clue what it was, neither did the seller, hence my ability to scoop it up at a comfortable price. 

State Fair funnel cake machine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

That is very close.   It is a 19thC French fireplace basting tool.   one of its several names, a coqueron.   One put chopped fat in the cup and held it in the fire until the fat melted and then wafted it over a roasting chunk of meat, melted fat dripping out the bottom hole.   In the Landes department, they used ham fat for a particular flavor.

In the country, we often cook in the fireplace in winter.    I sought and bought this to use.   But husband became so enamored of it that he refuses to use it as it was intended.    So now, it's a kitchen artifact.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 8

eGullet member #80.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

The owner swears its for food with an adjustable blade. I'm not as convinced, but I know where I can find a definitive answer ;)

Unknown1.jpeg

Unknown2.jpeg

Unkown3.jpeg

Where is the blade relative to everything else?

• Like 3

the under-the-cabinet opener is super seriously superior to all the 'hand held' gizmos.

a Swedish friend 'gifted' me one in the 1980's and it's a treasured resource.

the thing with it is....one can use both hands to grip/turn/twist the jar.

no hand(s) / magic levers / etc required (in some fashion...) to hold the lid.

this is my fourth kitchen where the very first consideration has been:

the best place for this opener . . . .

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

the under-the-cabinet opener is super seriously superior to all the 'hand held' gizmos.

So you've tried all the "gizmos?"  What if there is no under-counter space?  What if a jar slips or opens funnily and you spill the contents under your counter? What if one can't reach under a counter?

I can see many instances where it might not be "seriously superior."

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Damn! I wish I had gone with my instincts. I kept thinking that all it looked like to me was a glorified can opener.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

What if there is no under-counter space?

Do they mean under counter or under cabinet? I have no upper cabinets and not a single counter with an edge that I could attach it to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

a Swedish friend 'gifted' me one in the 1980's and it's a treasured resource.

the thing with it is....one can use both hands to grip/turn/twist the jar.

no hand(s) / magic levers / etc required (in some fashion...) to hold the lid.

this is my fourth kitchen where the very first consideration has been:

the best place for this opener . . . .

Does your landlord know?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does your landlord know?

It is axiomatic that it's best for one's landlord to know as little as possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/24/2022 at 7:54 AM, weinoo said:

At least not until you're ready to move!

No one looks under the cabinets.  😝

I have tried the other gizmos - I even own a couple.  The one that looks like a fat church key is great for breaking the seal on a jar lid.  But if you CAN put the under the counter one up, it really is the best for people who have the limited use of both hands.   

51 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Anyone have one of these?

20220727_154931.jpg

I used to, back when I was in the business of extracting confessions from suspected spies and saboteurs.

• Haha 11

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 7/23/2022 at 1:23 PM, gfron1 said:

The owner swears its for food with an adjustable blade. I'm not as convinced, but I know where I can find a definitive answer ;)

Unknown1.jpeg

Unknown2.jpeg

Unkown3.jpeg

Haven't heard back from you

p