• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

Gender Neutrality!

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

what is it really, and if I  try to sell it should it be $5 at a garage sale or $50 online?

It is a vintage pharmacist's cork press, from the day when drugs and tinctures were locally bottled in glass and then stoppered with real cork.  The operator rolls a slightly oversized cork between the wheel and anvil, working it down to a size that will fit his/her bottles.

How do I know this?  Well, these old machines also work quite well at working modern large-format wine corks down to the point you can get them in a wine bottle.  The alternative is a $1500 unitasker.

Definitely closer to $50 resale than $5.  People collect these things.

boilsover

boilsover

57 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

what is it really, and if I  try to sell it should it be $5 at a garage sale or $50 online?

It is a vintage pharmacist's cork press, from the day when drugs and tinctures were locally bottled in glass and then stoppered with real cork.  The operator rolls a slightly oversized cork between the wheel and anvil, working it down to a size that will fit his bottles.

How do I know this?  Well, these old machines also work quite well at working modern large-format wine corks down to the point you can get them in a wine bottle.  The alternative is a $1500 unitasker.

Definitely closer to $50 resale than $5.  People collect these things.