• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I have a "gadget" currently on ebay - a 4-section "pipe tin" or round loaf pan, obviously used, and I so state.

Instead of posting a question I got a rather convoluted private question about the uses for it.

So, if one sees an ad for a bread pan (or cake, if one is an expert) that forms the shape when the dough rises into the top part, 

WHY WOULD someone ask if it could be used as a JELLO MOLD???

I have been puzzling over this one since early this morning.  I answered, no it was not suitable for a Jello mold.  I'm not even sure it would hold a liquid.  I have baked pound cakes and sponge cake in it but I've had a fair amount of experience knowing how much these cakes will rise.  Then I thought, why does anyone want to make a Jello log?  I asked but the questioner has not replied.

Pipe tin pan 1.JPG

Pipe tin pan 2.JPG

andiesenji

andiesenji

I have a "gadget" currently on ebay - a 4-section "pipe tin" or round loaf pan, obviously used, and I so state.

Instead of posting a question I got a rather convoluted private question about the uses for it.

So, if one sees an ad for a bread pan (or cake, if one is an expert) that forms the shape when the dough rises into the top part, 

WHY WOULD someone ask if it could be used as a JELLO MOLD???

I have been puzzling over this one since early this morning.  I answered, no it was not suitable for a Jello mold.  I'm not even sure it would hold a liquid.  I have baked pound cakes and sponge cake in it but I've had a fair amount of experience knowing how much these cakes will rise.  Then I thought, why does anyone want to make a Jello log?  I asked but the questioner has not replied.