• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Sodium Prepared Corned Beef

Kouign Aman

Its St Paddy's day and the desire to celebrate is colliding with dietary restrictions for a friend of mine.

Are there any brands of low sodium corned beef available, that anyone is familiar with? (It seems oxymoronic to me.)

Is there a way to reduce the sodium in regular corned beef without losing all the flavor?

Thanks.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Since corned beef is by definition beef that has been pickled in brine (a saturated salt/water solution), I'm not sure how one could make a low-salt version that would be particurlaly corned beef-like.

--

Its St Paddy's day and the desire to celebrate is colliding with dietary restrictions for a friend of mine.

Are there any brands of low sodium corned beef available, that anyone is familiar with?  (It seems oxymoronic to me.)

Is there a way to reduce the sodium in regular corned beef without losing all the flavor?

Thanks.

Oxymoron was kind of the first thing that popped into my mind as well. But since we're in the same city here's a lead, Iowa Meat Farms on Mission Gorge Rd. corns their own beef and it's very good. Click on the link to what's new Is it strictly lo-sodium? Probably not. Is it somewhat lower in sodium than the usual grocery store suspects? Probably.

kalypso, thanks!

My friend drives past IMF on her way home from work. I'll give her a heads up.

Are you familiar with their other location off Morena (has a diff name)?

slkinsey, exactly why I thought it an oxymoron. But, gotta try to help out a friend.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I happen to have both sitting in my frig.

Regular corned beef lists 1150 mg sodium. Low-sodium corned beef 750mg sodium. I thought all the brands put out a lower sodium version, the one I have is Shop Rite brand (a local supermarket).

kalypso, thanks!

My friend drives past IMF on her way home from work. I'll give her a heads up.

Are you familiar with their other location off Morena (has a diff name)?

slkinsey, exactly why I thought it an oxymoron. But, gotta try to help out a friend.

Yes, I do know Siesel's and I like it. While IMFs is basically a meat market with a tremendous selection of bottled sauces and upscale condiments, Siesels offers a wider variety of produce and frozen products, plus the carry Diestel turkeys at Thanksgiving. IMFs is very convenient for me, but if I lived in the beach communities I'd probably shop more frequently at Siesel's.

P.S. I cooked a flat cut corned beef from IMFs for dinner this evening. It was very good, and not overly salty.

Im familiar with IMF, having dropped a few too many pennies there when I lived in the neighborhood. Now Seisel's is pretty close. I'll check it out.

A friend of mine bought a roast from IMF and arranged to have it aged longer than standard, by several months. That seems like really good service.

Glad to hear your corned beef was good. I'll check in if my friend decided to get some. Thanks for the help again,

and thanks also Shalmanese and lcdm. I'll give my friend the heads up to check her local Vons next year!

Its never too late to plan ahead for next year! Thanks chef koo, 'cause I had wondered about that, seeing as its standard with other salt-preserved food. I've never cooked corned beef.

<shameful confession time> I grew up on the tinned product and I like it.</shameful confession time>

• 11 years later...

I soaked the corned beef in cold water in my fridge for two days changing the water 3 or 4 times a day and this took much of the saltiness out, but I have no idea how much sodium was actually removed.  The end product was flavorful and very tender - I simmered in water and dark beer with the pickling spices provided plus a couple bay leafs about 3 hours.  It made for a nice St Patty's Day dinner. 

Edited by Mcfair (log)