• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romantic Cocktail

daniellewiley

How would you define a romantic cocktail? Does it need to be pink/red? :smile:

If not, I would go for either version of a French 75 -- very tasty.

French 75

1 ounce gin

1/4 ounce lemon juice

1/8 ounce simple syrup

5 ounces chilled champagne

Shake gin, lemon juice, and syrup with ice. Strain into a champagne flute. Top with champagne and a long twist of lemon.

OK, I'd like to make some romantic cocktails tonight  :wub: , and I am looking for suggestions. Basically, the sky is the limit, as my bar is rather empty, and no matter what I make I will need to be buying supplies.

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

When I think 'romance,' I think Champagne Cocktails.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think champagne cocktails are good for a romantic feel. If you like Mojitos, you will love Audrey's Old Cuban, which is a luxe version of a Mojito with aged rum and champagne.

The Old Cuban

1.5 oz : Aged Cuban-style rum (Bacardi 8 Year suggested)

1.0 oz : simple syrup (1:1 sugar-to-water by volume)

0.75 oz : fresh lime juice

6-8 : mint leaves

2 dashes : Angostura bitters

2-3 oz : good champagne (chilled)

Muddle mint with lime juice and simple syrup. Add bitters, rum and ice. Shake well and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Top with chilled champagne.

The little flecks of mint that make it past the strainer are a fun garnish for the drink, but don't go overboard on the muddling or you'll be picking mint out of your teeth. :smile:

For other ideas along these lines, there is a whole thread on Cocktails with Champagne.

--

IThe little flecks of mint that make it past the strainer are a fun garnish for the drink, but don't go overboard on the muddling or you'll be picking mint out of your teeth. :smile:

Which is, you know, not so romantic. :laugh:

I second the Old Cuban - sooo tasty, and a little pink from the bitters! A very pretty drink.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

i dont know why it is called the peach blow fizz because it doesnt involve peaches in any form. it better yet for your romantic cocktail(that is as if any fine cocktail isnt romantic) involves strawberrys and heavy whipping cream. who knows if the moments right you wont even get around to the romantic cocktail part but if you do the recipe is

2 gin

3/4 lemon

3/4 simple syrup

1 heavy cream

shake and serve over ice or into a fizz glass if you have one

fizz with soda water

garnish lavishly with extra strawberrys for obvious reasons

also as far a the french 75 goes a fine cocktail made even better with some nice romantic strawberrys. just muddle them first and use usual recipe

then again if champagne is so romantic maybe fizz the peach blow fizz with it instead of soda. ill have to try that myself. good luck

i dont know why it is called the peach blow fizz because it doesnt involve peaches in any form.

Looking at what seems to be the oldest recipe on cocktailDB, I see that it called for gin, egg white, cream, lemon juice, sugar and grenadine (the versions with strawberry are listed as "variations"). Could it be that cream and egg white together with grenadine create a peach-blush color? Maybe that's the origin of the name?

I wonder what makes something a "blow fizz." Googling for "blow fizz" only brings up the Apple Blow Fizz and the Peach Blow Fizz, with the former substantially more commonly found.

--

What about a Godiva Chocolate Martini?

1 1/2 shots Godiva® chocolate liqueur

1 1/2 shots creme de cacao

1/2 shot vodka

2 1/2 shots half-and-half

Mix in shaker with ice and serve in chilled martini glass.

You could garnish with chocolate straws and fresh strawberries.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Danielle, if I may bluntly cut to the chase: what aromas are sexy to you when on someone else's lips?

Wow, that's some question!

I think a smoky quality is pretty sexy, probably stemming back to my college days of dating musicians and various other barflies. That would point to scotch, right? Though that isn't one of my favorites.

maybe i should just give him cheap beer and a cigarette. :laugh:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

One thing that makes champagne cocktails particularly romantic to me is the luxury of it, and anticipation of things to come.

Even moderately expensive champagne is not usually mixed with anything, so it seems very extravagant, even decadent, to pop the cork, pour some fizzy bubbles into a glass, and then add a little bit of this or that. Kir Royales come to mind.

But the most impoprtant aspect is that with other cocktails, you pour one, and you know that you can always seal up the ingredients for another day.

With champagne, however, once you pop that cork, you're committed. You're saying, "We're here for the evening, we're drinking the whole thing. Are you with me? Good, let's lock the door."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.