• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sidney Restaurant Challenge

Kayaksoup

Question for those who may be in the know ~ is there somewhere good to dine out in Sidney by the Sea? :raz:

We are heading to the island for a familial visit, but would love to get in a nice night for the two of us. We are staying at the Cedarwood, right near the anacortes ferry, and would like to go somewhere within a ten minute driving radius. Any suggestions?

Thank You!

< Linda >

Yes there is an excellent place at the very end of the main street right by the sea. I cannot remember the name for the life of me but it has a small outdoor terrace - and you enter the restaurant from the left when you are facing the water. You will find it if you look for it.

It's a rather small place - but the kitchen is really first rate.

We chanced upon this last summer - and went back several times and loved it each time.

Perhaps someone else will know the name.

Thanks Ducky... by right at the end, do you mean past theroad that leads to Port Sidney? Its been awhile since I was in Sidney last, so I can't really picture exactly where you are talking about.

< Linda >

kayaksoup:

Perhaps Dock 503 at the Van Isle Marina, 2320 Harbour Rd. Sidney

[vanislemarina.com]

A few years back we stayed at what was then called the Shoall Harbour Inn or something to that effect...it has since been renamed... and ate at their restaurant in an adjacent building which I believe was formerly the Lieutenant-Governor's summer retreat.

The food and ambience there was just "ok". Later we heard that we probably should have just taken the short walk to the marina and eaten at Dock 503.

Yes, Merlin is right: Dock 503 is the place. A really very exceptional little place right on the water with superb food. It's the kind of restaurant I wish we had in Vancouver.

Check out the website Merlin mentions for details.

I had a look at the menu, looks great. I suspect it is a little close to where my parents are located. Is Van Isle near where the Blue Peter and Jespersen's Boats are located??

< Linda >

I had a look at the menu, looks great. I suspect it is a little close to where my parents are located. Is Van Isle near where the Blue Peter and Jespersen's Boats are located??

Yes, Jespersen's is right there.

Cheers,

Anne

• 1 year later...
Link to Dock 503 website, map and menus on the site.  I echo the recommendation.

Just looked up the Dock 503 website, as I'm about to visit Sidney again for the first time in 2 or 3 years, and found this on their homepage:

Dock 503 has closed after an amazing nine years.

We wish to thank our loyal customers that made it so rewarding,

our dedicated staff that committed above and beyond and

our suppliers who always supported us with exceptional service.

We send our best wishes and thanks to everyone.

Oh... phooey :sad:

Any other recommendations for downtown Sidney?

I do think that Dock 503 needs to revamp their website, as they should be open again by now. Josh Hall, former sous chef where I work now, is the Chef recently brought on board to re-open. Unless they have run into some issues with the details, I expect they are back in business.

I will see if I can get more information for you! Be sure to check it out - Chef Hall is a fantastic cook.

Okay, I just phoned the number associated with Dock 503, and the message states they 'will be open by he 18th' ... but it's the 21st today so who knows. Billing themselves as the Dockside Grill. Maybe try phoning during the day time if you are still interested?

-- Matt.

I am in Sidney pretty often so i can give an opinion of the restaurant selction which hopefully can be somewhat helpful!

There is a new restaurant in the Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa called Haro's, it's at the end of the main street Beacon). It's pretty new and the food was good but the restaurant was quite disorganized, i would give it time to work itself out before i went back, they do have a lounge area that was much better, great for drinks.

If you want to take a short 10 min drive, there is a french restaurant called The Chalet that as far as i'm concerned, is the best restaurant in Sidney. The chef Pierre is the funniest little Alsatian you will have ever met!! The food is very authentic and soooo good.

Other "less that fine dining" choices would be

-A Thai restaurant call Sabhai (on the Beacon St, 2493 Beacon Avenue)

-A mexican restaurant called Carlos Cantina, their Margarita's made from scratch are really good!! (just off Beacon St. at 9816 Fourth Street)

-3rd Ave Cafe for breakfast, at 3rd and Beacon

Also, the new Dockside Grill restaurant, formerly Doc 503, was re-opend by different owners and if you are expecting the same high standards as before, you may be dissapointed. Hopefully it is only because it has been open a few days and things will pull together. They do have a really great patio right on the wharf, gorgeous on a nice day!

That's my opinion!

Thanks, Megan

I was the opening Chef at Doc 503 almost 10 years ago, when I was 23 years old. Simon Manvell (the Chef who ran it for 8 years after me) came over from Beach Side Cafe (as my apprentice) with me to work the line. When I left he took over as Sous Chef and then moved on to run it.

I dined there a few times in the past few years and it had always kept its high standards.

Ah memories.

It is sad to see that they closed... :(