• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Paddy's Day In Vancouver

.......Maybe a little late to start asking about this one - but isn't that always the case when you arrive to work on the morning of the 17th and you start getting pinches from everyone for not wearing green!

Does anyone know of or running some sort of festivities for tomorrow night - ie: is Rare One serving a Frog's Leg buffet?

I called Neil but all I got on the other line was, "Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling, from glen to glen and down the mountainside, the summer's gone and all the flowers are dying, 'tis you, tis you must go and I must bide!"

It was a little strange to say the least.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

Holy Crap Sean, do you lurk out there and see if anyone strings the word Irish and Heather together and then pounce!

Paul, try Sean's other establishment Limerick Junction, just a hop skip and a jump from the front doors of the Heather.

I pity the girl on the phone. I would imagine that everybody in town is trying to squeeze into the Heather this weekend. Sean's regulars probably avoid the place.

" I know a guy, who knows a guy, who was going with a girl, who saw Sean Heather's mum drive down the street one day back in the old country, so we are practically family. Can we get the nice booth for 8 people on Friday night @ 7:00 ? "

Sure, the line up starts at noon. Good luck!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I've been down to your joints a bunch of times in the last month and thought I might slip in to join in on the festivities - hell I lost 50% of last month's "entertainment" budget drinking Woodford bourbon and supporting my buddy's 25 year old scotch affliction a few weeks ago in your back room there - anyways, "Luck of the Irish" to you tonight.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

If I was free I'd head off to the Irish Heather. A Guiness, a shot of Red Breast Whiskey, and some bangers and mash. :smile: I'll pop in for the Irish breakfast on Saturday and see how the staff coped :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

You know, you wouldn't catch me dead on St. Pat's day looking for an Irish experience. Why? Because I lived on the west coast of Ireland for six months and I know all too well about a) real (that is everyday) Irish food, and b) real (at least in Galway) St. Patrick's day festivities. I'm afraid that I don't miss either. I'm also sure that the food that places like the Irish Heather serves is not what they're serving at the local in Gort or Tubber.

If you want to know about real Irish food, read the letters about the subject on my blog: http://lava-blog.blogspot.com/

Paul B

Paul B?

Your experience of Ireland seems to have been a sour and unpleasant one. My experience of Eire has been markedly different. I had wonderful food in Ireland. I won't even comment on the alcohol intake you describe on your blog given that B.C. residents have a few problems with the grape if you look at how much we drink compared to other North Americans.

But to keep to the thread, have you actually tried the Irish Heather's food? St Patrick's day is now over, so they shouldn't be too busy.

Edited by Brenda (log)

You know, you wouldn't catch me dead on St. Pat's day looking for an Irish experience.  Why?  Because I lived on the west coast of Ireland for six months and I know all too well about a) real (that is everyday) Irish food, and b) real (at least in Galway) St. Patrick's day festivities.  I'm afraid that I don't miss either.  I'm also sure that the food that places like the Irish Heather serves is not what they're serving at the local in Gort or Tubber. 

If you want to know about real Irish food, read the letters about the subject on my blog: http://lava-blog.blogspot.com/

Very much enjoyed reading several of your dispatches, Paul. Those all-day breakfasts can make one positively Eire-ate. Best to eat them pissed. Sorry to hear you've given up liver for Lent though, because after the successful consummation of St. Paddy's last night, mine is now available for hire.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Paul B?

Your experience of Ireland seems to have been a sour and unpleasant one. My experience of Eire has been markedly different. I had wonderful food in Ireland. I won't even comment on the alcohol intake you describe on your blog given that B.C. residents have a few problems with the grape if you look at how much we drink compared to other North Americans.

But to keep to the thread, have you actually tried the Irish Heather's food? St Patrick's day is now over, so they shouldn't be too busy.

Actually, I have had a pint at the Heather but haven't been able to have a meal there yet. The food looks good.

I would recommend a vacation in Ireland to anyone. But living in one of the barren, hideous suburbs west of Galway (as I did)? That's a very different story.

Paul B

[host]

Time to remind everyone that this forum is for the discussion of food & cuisine that is LOCAL to Vancouver & Western Canada. Please keep the discussion in this thread focussed on St Patrick's Day celebrations in Vancouver & Western Canada.

Ireland & its cuisine can be discussed ad nauseum over in the UK forum.

A.

[/host]

I gather the rather faux Irish place on Broadway (just east of Alma) will be pushing the boat out a bit.

As yes, the Wolf and Hound. Nice place for a casual drink. My colleagues here at UBC enjoy the ambience. It's a nice place, Guiness is poured properly, and the food portions are appropriate. As for Irish autheticity, when I was there last week (pre-Patty's day), there were some locals playing some fine Irish jigs.

I'd go back with friends to try and score the "living room" area with the couches and big screen TV!

Guiness, meat pies, friends, and a Big-screen TV showing the Canucks winning?.... ah, bliss. :wub:

As you were.