• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absinthe in Paris

John Talbott

Absinthe in Paris

Bars

La Perle

78, rue Vieille du Temple in the 3rd, 01.42.72.69.93

Cantada II

13, rue Moret in the 11th

La Fee Verte

108, rue de la Roquette in the 11th

Les Furieux

74, rue de la Roquette in the 11th

Restaurant

L'Absinthe

24, place du Marche St Honore in the 1st

But in my very humble opinion not a place to go for either food or alcoholic things.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

It's funny that you posted this because I just got finished reading a great article in this week's New Yorker by Jack Turner titled Green Gold, The return of Absinthe. It's in the March 13 issue, so it should be in the stands now for those interested.

The bulk of the article is about an American named Ted Breaux who is passionate about Absinthe and is said to be brewing the infamous drink the way it was made over a century ago at a distillery in Saumur. His company is called Jade Liqueurs and they have made three different varieties of absinthe so far. Verte Suisse, which they say is a re-creation of the absinthe made by the Swiss company C.F. Berger in the 19th century; Absinthe Edouard 72 which is said to resemble the drink made at the time by Pernod; and the Nouvelle Orleans which is Breaux's own recipe.

The article also goes into depth about the history of absinthe and what eventually caused its ban in the early 1900s. A very good read.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

There is also a tiny shop in the Marais (just North of the Place De Vosges...less than a block from Ambrosie) that specializes in Absinthe.

They are very friendly and I bought some on my last trip.

The one I got pretty much tastes like Pernod.

The New Yorker article was good and informative.

The article also goes into depth about the history of absinthe and what eventually caused its ban in the early 1900s. A very good read.

Any chance of supplying a link to the article for non-US egulleters?

They do have some articles on-line, but not all. You can also buy the New Yorker in France, and I'm sure elsewhere, but it is a small fortune (about 8 euros in Paris). I have a subscription which they send me in France, so it's a fraction of what it costs in the news stand.

I'll check their site to see if it's online yet.

There is also a tiny shop in the Marais (just North of the Place De Vosges...less than a block from Ambrosie) that specializes in Absinthe.

They are very friendly and I bought some on my last trip.

The one I got pretty much tastes like Pernod.

The New Yorker article was good and informative.

The absinthe shop in the Marais:

Vert d’Absinthe

11 rue d’Ormesson

75004 Paris

01 42 71 69 73

Another excellent shop:

Caves du Roy

31 rue Simart

75018 Paris

01 42 23 99 11

Caves du Roy and Cantada II were locations for Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. Tony's absinthe guide was Peter Schaf of Liqueurs de France, online absinthe shop and the exclusive worldwide distributeurs of Ted Breaux's absinthes.

Liqueurs de France

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 2 weeks later...
They do have some articles on-line, but not all.  You can also buy the New Yorker in France, and I'm sure elsewhere, but it is a small fortune (about 8 euros in Paris).  I have a subscription which they send me in France, so it's a fraction of what it costs in the news stand. 

Thanks Phyllis, I have scoured the newsstands but unfortunately cannot find a copy...

They do have some articles on-line, but not all.  You can also buy the New Yorker in France, and I'm sure elsewhere, but it is a small fortune (about 8 euros in Paris).  I have a subscription which they send me in France, so it's a fraction of what it costs in the news stand.  

Thanks Phyllis, I have scoured the newsstands but unfortunately cannot find a copy...

Look up two posts and you will see that Fresh A was kind enough to provide a link to the article in PDF form.