• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Soba in Manhattan

jg488

I've got a hankering for cold soba. What's the best place within walking distance (or a quick cab ride) from Grand Central?

The only place I know in the area is Sakagura. It's a cool place with reasonably good food, but I'm not too impressed with the soba there.

Thanks for your suggestions!

JR

At least one member is going to be very disappointed when he reads the text of that post.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments on Sakagura. I should emphasize that I think it's a great restaurant on many levels, it's just that I'm not crazy about their soba.

I did some quick online research and came up with Soba Nippon on 52nd and 5th. I'm going to give it a try...

Just returned from a very good lunch of cold soba at Soba Nippon. The soba was not of the transcendant quality I've experienced in Japan, but it was very tasty and reasonably priced.

[...]Honmura-an, if you've already eaten..

Their portions are that small? :shock:

Not at all. I would've suggested Honmura An to start, except that it's nowhere near Grand Central, but I do think it is the best soba in the city.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I think Menchanko-Tei might not be bad, but I've never been.

I'd go down to 9th street, Sobaya.

Honmura-an, if you've already eaten..

Menchanko-Tei is great for ramen, but they don't serve soba.

I love Sobaya and Honmura-an, but they're too far from my office for a quick lunch. Soba Nippon had pretty good soba, but not as good as Sobaya's or Honmura-an's.

The closest places for homemade soba near Grand Central is Hatsuhana Park. I like their really light version. Another very good place is Hyo Tan Nippon (or Restaurant Nippon) on E. 52nd St, near Lex. They're associated with Soba Nippon, so maybe they make the soba for both restaurants. Here's their website. Check out the part describing where they source their buckwheat.

I'm pretty sure one of the various midtown east places might do it for lunch i.e. Azusa, Ariyoshi, Chikubu, Hizen, Kiroiihana, Donburiya

I see Menkuitei opened on 56th between 5th and 6th do they have soba downtown??

I just can't eat it anywhere that does have a big curtain saying vertically

!!!

Edited by raji (log)

Another question: How many of you are actually capable of slurping up soba?

I saw a rerun of the TV program called Gaia no Yoake (Japanese only) today that featured Morimoto in New York. I could see some Americans eating soba, and I found none of them slurping up soba.

[...]Honmura-an, if you've already eaten..

Their portions are that small? :shock:

Not at all. I would've suggested Honmura An to start, except that it's nowhere near Grand Central, but I do think it is the best soba in the city.

I haven't been there in years. From what I remember it was very small portions but the best... is it more substantial now?

Hiroyuki - i think most people would associate normal yabusoba or perhaps inakasoba with soba. I do love somen during the summer....

I can slurp with the best of them but only after living in Tokyo... most people I see here eat it more like pasta...

Thanks again, raji. Eating it more like pasta... :laugh: I think this goes for ramen, too.