• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Italian for Dinner

Marlene

I've looked at the Best of topics, but I don't see one for Italian in New York. We've got one night left here, and thought a nice Italian restaurant might be nice to try. Any suggestions?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've looked at the Best of topics, but I don't see one for Italian in New York.  We've got one night left here, and thought a nice Italian restaurant might be nice to try.  Any suggestions?

Do you want to stay in Manhattan or are you in the mood to be adventurous and head into Queens for something really different?

If so, drop by Sapori d'Ischia in Woodside - as close to the real thing in NYC as you can get. Not fancy, but outstanding food and pasta - and a pure Italian wine list. Anyone who knows anything about quality Italian food eventually winds up there.

If you're looking to stay in Manhattan, most of the Italians are average to somewhat above average. It depends how upscale you want to go. There's always L'Impero, Alto, Babbo, Felidia, Del Posto (if you want to burn some real money)or Lupa. None of those will set your world on fire, but they'll take your money and the food will range from okay to good. Some rise above that, but all have their own version on what's really Italian - some will even tell you they cook in the Italian Hudson Valley style??????

In my mind the city's best Italians are in the outer boroughs. If I was set on staying in Manhattan I'd choose WD-50, Landmarc, Blue Hill, Tasting Room, Cru or Mesa Grill. That's a wide selection and all very different, but all have terrific food and some even have a bit of ambiance.

Italians in Manhattan just don't measure up to what they should.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Rich,

I am confused by your post.. Are you saying this place,Sapori d'Ischia, is better then any other Italian in Manhattan? I am excited to try the place..

Also, I was with most of your suggestions until you mentioned Mesa Grill.. That place is g-d awful, obviously IMO.. But I have been there a few times and made an effort to like it.. Even went to the place in Vegas.. I just cant find one good thing to say about it.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Rich,

I am confused by your post.. Are you saying this place,Sapori d'Ischia, is better then any other Italian in Manhattan?  I am excited to try the place..

Also, I was with most of your suggestions until you mentioned Mesa Grill.. That place is g-d awful..

Yes, I think so. I've eaten in all the others except Del Posto and while all are very good in their own way, I think Sapori comes closest to the taste of Italy - especially within the specific area of Italy that it's named after. We all have our preferences, but given the choice I would go there before anything in Manhattan.

I've gotten that reaction about Mesa Grill from a few people, but I disagree. I wonder how much of the negative vibe is because most people don't care for its owner. I have always had very good meals there. I don't think anyone in NYC comes close to Mesa for southwestern food.

On the other hand, I feel the way you do (g-d awful) about his other place (not Bolo) - Bar Americain.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Can't go wrong with Babbo, of course.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I think the problem people are having with this inquiry is that the range of Italian restaurants in New York is so wide that it's hard to answer without knowing more about what the person is looking for. It's not like asking for a good deli.

It would be like if someone asked for a good French restaurant in New York. How would you begin to know how to answer?

It has been a while since we have been there but my wife and I really like Isle of Capri on 61st and 3rd. Haven't seen anything on EG on it. They have these little semi-private rooms on the street sides for couples, old school service and a decent wine list. Carpaccio, fra diavolo, osso buco all solid classics.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

The best part about NYC Italians, is that it's very hard to find a really bad one. It's just what you're looking for, your budget and how fussy you are about eating in a place with an Italian feel to it.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Hearth should be mentioned in a thread like this, though overall, I'd probably recommend Lupa first. I haven't been to Babbo, Del Posto, Alto, or some of the other places recommended above, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't usually think of Hearth as being all that Italian overall, but if you ordered the right dishes, it would probably make for a pretty darn good Italian style (at least) meal.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I've looked at the Best of topics, but I don't see one for Italian in New York.  We've got one night left here, and thought a nice Italian restaurant might be nice to try.  Any suggestions?

Do you want to stay in Manhattan or are you in the mood to be adventurous and head into Queens for something really different?

If so, drop by Sapori d'Ischia in Woodside - as close to the real thing in NYC as you can get. Not fancy, but outstanding food and pasta - and a pure Italian wine list. Anyone who knows anything about quality Italian food eventually winds up there.

If you're looking to stay in Manhattan, most of the Italians are average to somewhat above average. It depends how upscale you want to go. There's always L'Impero, Alto, Babbo, Felidia, Del Posto (if you want to burn some real money)or Lupa. None of those will set your world on fire, but they'll take your money and the food will range from okay to good. Some rise above that, but all have their own version on what's really Italian - some will even tell you they cook in the Italian Hudson Valley style??????

In my mind the city's best Italians are in the outer boroughs. If I was set on staying in Manhattan I'd choose WD-50, Landmarc, Blue Hill, Tasting Room, Cru or Mesa Grill. That's a wide selection and all very different, but all have terrific food and some even have a bit of ambiance.

Hi, Rich!!!

I just find it interesting that you believe the best Italians are in the other boroughs. My experience has been the opposite. Honestly, I cannot speak very well for Queens and the Bronx. But, Brooklyn and Staten Island??? Perhaps there are 1 or 2 notable places in Brooklyn - "Al di La'" being one of them. And, honestly, they don't exactly entice me to cross over the bridge... There are enough similar restaurants in Manhattan that do the same thing better. And, as for Staten Island (from which I hail) it is a gastronomic wasteland. It is so disheartening for me that, in a borough where the majority of the population is of Italian descent, the only Italian restaurants you find are the red sauce ones doing the same schtick - parmigiano, veal piccata, marsala, milanese, sorrentino, etc. etc. People are not interested in anything even remotely authentic...all they want is lots of food...and cheap. As far as I'm concerned, that's one borough that is light years away from any Italian restaurant in the city.

"Quant'e' bella la liberta', una coscia qui...una coscia la'."

Hi, Rich!!!

I just find it interesting that you believe the best Italians are in the other boroughs. My experience has been the opposite. Honestly, I cannot speak very well for Queens and the Bronx. But, Brooklyn and Staten Island??? Perhaps there are 1 or 2 notable places in Brooklyn - "Al di La'" being one of them. And, honestly, they don't exactly entice me to cross over the bridge... There are enough similar restaurants in Manhattan that do the same thing better. And, as for Staten Island (from which I hail) it is a gastronomic wasteland. It is so disheartening for me that, in a borough where the majority of the population is of Italian descent, the only Italian restaurants you find are the red sauce ones doing the same schtick - parmigiano, veal piccata, marsala, milanese, sorrentino, etc. etc. People are not interested in anything even remotely authentic...all they want is lots of food...and cheap. As far as I'm concerned, that's one borough that is light years away from any Italian restaurant in the city.

Hi Theresa - welcome to eGullet!

Having lived in Staten Island for 27 years, I can't agree more. The only Italian worth mentioning, (and it was much better when it first re-opened about 2-3 years ago) is Bacco on Hylan Blvd (however it still has one of the city's top and most reasonable wine lists). In fact, it's the only Staten Island restaurant worth mentioning now that Aesop's Tables has changed hands.

But as far as the other boroughs are concerned Roberto's in the Bronx, Sapori, L'incontro and Park Side in Queens and Al di La and Locanda Vini in Brooklyn do some fabulous stuff. I would go to any of those before heading to a Manhattan Italian if I was in the mood for an "Italy fix." They just give you more of an Italian feel. But of those, Sapori stands out -if you haven't tried, you should - it's in a category all its own.

You're probably looking at my last name and asking what do I know about an Italian feel? My mom's Italian on both sides and my father is half Italian and I was raised in my grandparents home who were both born and raised in Italy. And I still have many relatives who live in Italy.

But the bottom line is those are simply my preferences in eating Italian food out. I do a much better job than any of them when I cook at home. Your place is fine, nothing negative - you do a good, attractive job at very fair prices. I believe I mentioned it above in the six or so places in my post. If I lived in Manhattan, I would go more. But when I'm trekking into Manhattan, it wouldn't be one on my top choices, but I wouldn't make a special trip into Manhattan for any Italian resto.

But after all is said and done - you're absolutely correct about Staten Island - all most people want are large portions of veal parm with globs of ziti and fake tomato sauce. But remember most of those SIer's orginally came from Brooklyn, so what to they know? :laugh: Just joking (I don't want all you Brooklynites getting heart flutters).

I least I was born and raised in Queens and then did a stint in Manhattan before moving to the gastronomic wasteland.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

I would personally vote for L'Impero over the others. Of those mentioned, I have been to Alto, Lupa, Babbo, and Roberto's.

That being said, I would completely agree that most of the places mentioned, save maybe Roberto's and Lupa, is trying to do Italian as you would get it in Italy. That being said, if you really want that, I say go to Italy.

The others are really chef-driven and I personally find L'Impero the most satisfying (I would almost call it French-Italian fusion, but others may disagree). Have been about 6 or 7 times (again at the end of the month) and have yet to be disappointed. Babbo and Alto are both very solid as well, IMHO.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

[...]That being said, I would completely agree that most of the places mentioned, save maybe Roberto's and Lupa, is trying to do Italian as you would get it in Italy.  That being said, if you really want that, I say go to Italy.[...]

Going to Italy is rather more expensive and time-consuming than going to an Italian restaurant in New York. And if we extrapolated that advice, we'd be going to Japan for our Japanese meals, Chengdu for Sichuan, Palestine for felafel... :laugh:

Sure, it's a great idea if you have the time and money. Otherwise, let's stick to what's best here. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]That being said, I would completely agree that most of the places mentioned, save maybe Roberto's and Lupa, is trying to do Italian as you would get it in Italy.  That being said, if you really want that, I say go to Italy.[...]

Going to Italy is rather more expensive and time-consuming than going to an Italian restaurant in New York. And if we extrapolated that advice, we'd be going to Japan for our Japanese meals, Chengdu for Sichuan, Palestine for felafel... :laugh:

Sure, it's a great idea if you have the time and money. Otherwise, let's stick to what's best here. :biggrin:

I see your point. I guess my point is that "authenticity" is not the best method of choosing an Italian restaurant in New York, as very little is truly authentic. That also rules out a lot of wonderful chef-driven restaurants that provide interesting cuisine that would still be called "Italian". To your point, stick to what's best, and that is not necessarily what is authentic. :biggrin:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I guess my point is that "authenticity" is not the best method of choosing an Italian restaurant in New York, as very little is truly authentic.  That also rules out a lot of wonderful chef-driven restaurants that provide interesting cuisine that would still be called "Italian".  To your point, stick to what's best, and that is not necessarily what is authentic.  :biggrin:

We have reached agreement.

Michael aka "Pan"