• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moutarde violette/Purple mustard

Has anyone seen this product in Portland? I've checked Pastaworks, Zupan's and New Seasons and none of them stock it. I could order it online, but the shipping costs as much as the jar itself.

Much thanks for any ideas.

I can't help you with your question, since I brought my jar back from France. But since then, I've been wondering: what do I do with it? What do you have in mind for your jar, when you acquire one?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I can't help you with your question, since I brought my jar back from France. But since then, I've been wondering: what do I do with it? What do you have in mind for your jar, when you acquire one?

MelissaH

Lucky you, I should have done the same. I'll probably hoard it once I get it, and use very sparingly in vinaigrettes for only really special people. I've got a friend in Vienna who uses it for much more exciting things, but then, she's able to acquire it more easily....

It is available from several online sources. Google: "moutarde violette"

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I could order it online, but the shipping costs as much as the jar itself.

"It is available from several online sources. Google: "moutarde violette."

Thanks, but I knew that. I was looking for something more local.

I use a dollop on grilled duck breast, with a pot au feu, charcuterie, or best of all in a salad dressing made with walnut oil.

Keep an opened jar in the refrigerator and don't heat this mustard for too long because it loses its taste.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.