• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LCBO

SYoung

As an aside, has anyone tried Goats do Roam (in villages)?

A friend picked this up thinking it was a Cotes bottle... Wasn't terrible wine either! From S. Africa. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but it was the first I'd heard of it. We had a good chuckle that evening and the joke persists to this day...

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

There is a whole series of tongue in cheek wines from this producer, and each one seems to be good, especially at the prices they get.

I heard that they ran afoul of EU regulations when their Rhone-like red was called something else, so they re-labelled it Goats do Roam, and made sure there are goats in the vineyard. And now EU or AOC can't complain!.

...There is a whole series of tongue in cheek wines from this producer, and each one seems to be good, especially at the prices they get....

Not tried any yet and probably won't unless it's poured for me but I do get a kick out of the tongue and cheek nature. I heard that LCBO will not be having the big Classics quarterly etc. and will be moving to more e-mail offers (that keep lining up in my inbox). There is a big discussion on eBob about the same and a reminder that some agents in this city are getting great stuff that likely makes its way to the LCBO on occasion since most gets gobbled up through agents (although the LCBO always gets their cut).

officially left egullet....

• 3 months later...

I have $150 to spend on 2 really nice bottles of red wine, probably a Bordeaux and a California cab or zinf, maybe pinot noir...suggestions? I normally don't spend more than $30 per bottle, so I have no idea what the good values are in the $70ish range...I could bump that budget up by $20 if needed...thanks in advance.

JP

I have $150 to spend on 2 really nice bottles of red wine, probably a Bordeaux and a California cab or zinf, maybe pinot noir...suggestions? I normally don't spend more than $30 per bottle, so I have no idea what the good values are in the $70ish range...I could bump that budget up by $20 if needed...thanks in advance.

JP

No Zins here in that range. I would go with the Mount Eden Estate Cabernet. VINTAGES Item # 31831 $ 49.95 and buy three bottles. I think its a great wine and great price. I think Queens Quay still has some and a few other stores if you check www.lcbo.com. I am unable to advise on Bordeaux since, IMHO, I do not think there are any values from Bordeaux at the LCBO as compared with the US market. The good Pinots are snapped up at that range. I seached for 3 that I know of that are no longer in the system.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing more about your intentions and likes/dislikes. For example, are you looking to drink the 2 bottles right away, in a couple of years or long term storage? If drinking now, what food are you serving it with? What about styles you like, such as fruit forward or earthy?... etc.

Also the LCBO greatly overprices Bordeaux and California wines, so if these are the wines that particularly interests you, I'd keep the money now and spend it whenever you visit the US as you can bring 2 bottles per person back duty free.

Notwithstanding, you should check out the LCBO site for their latest Classics Collection, read the tasting notes and reviews and pick out 2 from there.

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing more about your intentions and likes/dislikes.  For example, are you looking to drink the 2 bottles right away, in a couple of years or long term storage?  If drinking now, what food are you serving it with?  What about styles you like, such as fruit forward or earthy?... etc.

Also the LCBO greatly overprices Bordeaux and California wines, so if these are the wines that particularly interests you, I'd keep the money now and spend it whenever you visit the US as you can bring 2 bottles per person back duty free.

Notwithstanding, you should check out the LCBO site for their latest Classics Collection, read the tasting notes and reviews and pick out 2 from there.

I suggest that you do not just look at the current classics list. There is a thread from a bunch of wine guys in Toronto here that discusses how weak it is - http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showth...&highlight=LCBO. The current classics list has one or two bottles of interest to me only.

I must say lately, the California prices are very competative to what is in the US. Take for example the 2003 Spottswoode and 2003 Dominus. Both are better priced that the US release price at the winery even taking into consideration the exchange rate (to the OP if there is some 2003 Spottswoode left that is an outstanding choice but will eat up $135 a bottle). The wine I suggested was actually $45US release price at the winery and the LCBO was only chargin $50.

SYoung you are bang on for Bordeaux at the LCBO....rip OFF.

Jan, I would be curious as to what you picked up.

I suggest that you do not just look at the current classics list.  There is a thread from a bunch of wine guys in Toronto here that discusses how weak it is - http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showth...&highlight=LCBO.  The current classics list has one or two bottles of interest to me only.... 

I must say lately, the California prices are very competative to what is in the US.  Take for example the 2003 Spottswoode and 2003 Dominus... 

The Dominus and Spottswoode are the exceptions rather than the rule. I've got one of the latest Vintages LCBO Catalogue right here in front of me (Apr 28 release). Lets sample 3 California wines off this catalogue and see if you're right about California prices at LCBO being competitive (all prices in Cdn$, translate US prices by 1.2 multiple to account for state taxes and foreign exchange):

Grgich Hills Cab 2002: LCBO=$84CDN, K&L Wines in Calif=$48CDN; LCBO is 75% more expensive!

Ridge Geyserville Zin Blend 2004: LCBO=$48, K&L Wines in Calif=$36CDN; LCBO is 33% more expensive!

Clos Pegase Cab: LCBO=$54, Mission Liquor in Calif=$36CDN; LCBO is 50% more expensive!

And this is just looking at one of their latest release catalogue! I bet if I check another LCBO catalogue, I'd get similar results. So, I don't see California wines to be very competitive at LCBO at all. With few exceptions, it's not even close.

Re the latest Classics Collection (May 2007), I agree it's the worse one ever. There are no Clos des Papes, DRC's or 1st/2nd Growth Bordeaux. However, there are still some gems that you won't find by walking into any LCBO store today. To name a few:

CAVALLOTTO BAROLO BRICCO BOSCHIS 2001 (WS94, $59): very good price for a highly rated barolo in an excellent vintage

FONTODI FLACCIANELLO DELLA PIEVE 2003 (WS91, $69): This Fontodi is a classic supertuscan that's highly rated and sought after year after year

LA BRANCAIA IL BLU 2001 (WS93, $69): Another Italian classic that's almost always fantastic year after year. I ordered this one!

NICOLAS CATENA ZAPATA 2002 (WS93, $79): A fantastic Mendoza red from a world renowned winery and this one is almost always excellent and highly sought after

TWO HANDS BELLA'S GARDEN SHIRAZ 2005 (not rated yet, $65): Recent vintages of this McLaren Vale have been one of the best shirazes to come from down under. The 2004 vintage was rated 95 and was in the Top 10 of Wine Spectator's Top 100. I ordered this one too!

I guess you can look at this Classics Collection as glass half full or glass half empty. I chose the former. :smile:

..I guess you can look at this Classics Collection as glass half full or glass half empty.  I chose the former.  :smile:

Point taken on the Cali prices you noted. The wines you listed I would never buy and would never bother to compare the price. I have bought Dominus since the 95 vintage and have Spotty back to 90, so those wines I do buy and thankfully do not get greased. I also buy Mount Eden, Copain, Brewer Clifton, Melville, Shafer Hillside Select, Karl Lawrence, Littorai (most of these through agents) and these prices are very competative with release prices (and I can buy 6-12 bottles without the LCBO cutting me back on my order). I liked the Fontodi when I bought my 95s and 97s at 38 and 42 bucks. $69...its a pass for me. Sure good wine but not at that price.

That said, I only ordered the Arcadian Pinot (I love Joe Davis who is a very nice guy) and after being at Pinot Days in NYC two weeks ago this wine will be outstanding. Compared with Pisoni, Ketchem, Dain and Kosta Browne and many others that I have tasted this wine holds its own. Little more than he released it at though so the LCBO is stroking it a little.

[That said, I only ordered the Arcadian Pinot (I love Joe Davis who is a very nice guy) and after being at Pinot Days in NYC two weeks ago this wine will be outstanding.  Compared with Pisoni, Ketchem, Dain and Kosta Browne and many others that I have tasted this wine holds its own.  Little more than he released it at though so the LCBO is stroking it a little.

Thanks for the tip on the Arcadian pinot. I've had the Kosta Browne RRV and if the Arcadian is similar, I'm going to get one even at LCBO prices. It's too late for me to order from the Classics but I'm thinking I'll see lots of them on the shelves a month from now along with most of the other unsold May Classics. :shock:

[That said, I only ordered the Arcadian Pinot (I love Joe Davis who is a very nice guy) and after being at Pinot Days in NYC two weeks ago this wine will be outstanding.  Compared with Pisoni, Ketchem, Dain and Kosta Browne and many others that I have tasted this wine holds its own.  Little more than he released it at though so the LCBO is stroking it a little.

Thanks for the tip on the Arcadian pinot. I've had the Kosta Browne RRV and if the Arcadian is similar, I'm going to get one even at LCBO prices. It's too late for me to order from the Classics but I'm thinking I'll see lots of them on the shelves a month from now along with most of the other unsold May Classics. :shock:

I think Joe Davis said there would be around 60 six packs so I think there will be lots to go around since without scores some people never buy stuff....good for me!

I ended up with the Mount Eden as per MKJR's suggestion and a Bordeaux that cost $90, both at the Summerhill location. I can't recall the name of the Bordeaux, just that it was a 96 vinatage...I choose it as per the advice of a helpful LCBO employee. They were both excellent. Thanks, I'm still open to suggestions for stuff that is good to go right now, usually $50 and under.

• 9 years later...

Imagine my surprise after searching all over hell's half acre for a bottle of this - to find it had arrived yesterday in one of my local LCBOs.

Grab it now - it's apparently a one time order for the holidays

IMG_3695.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 2:24 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Imagine my surprise after searching all over hell's half acre for a bottle of this - to find it had arrived yesterday in one of my local LCBOs.

Grab it now - it's apparently a one time order for the holidays

IMG_3695.JPG

How nice, after ten years it found its way back home to Canada!

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I couldn't read the fine print in the picture Kerry posted -- is $146.70 for the barrel strength Whistlepig or for the watered down?

Wish I had some now!  But then I have not finished tonight's tumbler of Mississippi punch.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I couldn't read the fine print in the picture Kerry posted -- is $146.70 for the barrel strength Whistlepig or for the watered down?

Wish I had some now!  But then I have not finished tonight's tumbler of Mississippi punch.

100 proof - so it's the watered down.

• Like 1

Oh well , it's good to support a Canadian rye.... about 7 more yrs until their actual  vermont  grown and distilled rye is ready. 

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/whistlepig-10-year-old-straight-100-rye-whiskey.html

Waiting anxiously for Smith & Cross naval strength rum.. My last bottle is on its final legs and it has been out of stock for months.    

Ordered online through LCBO. .   Took the only 2 left in stock at the time but looks like they have more  in stock now. 

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/smith-and-cross-traditional-jamaican-rum/402834#.WEnffefQeUl

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow