• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LCBO

SYoung

...I will be the first to admit my knowledge of whites is not very extensive, however for $39 a bottle...thats a bit steep...especially when the site you noted only gave it an 88.....

I go to the site for TN's not for numbers as I do not play the number game that often anymore and usually only stick to certain producers these days (even in off years they tend to make the best wines).

officially left egullet....

Speaking of ratings,  I've noticed that the Star, and also NOW magazine  are featuring  three  wines, weekly, two of them in the under $15 range, and one over  (still  not  expensive, usually under $20.)

Both publications tend to group everything  in the middle-upper range of their  ratings. 87-90  is typical for Stimmel, and NNNN out of 5 is common for NOW. Like most other published ratings,Natalie included, they are afraid of revealing the real clunkers, and I suspect many wines  are  uplifted somewhat beyond their worth.

Jay, I'd be the first to agree with you here. We conducted a "mini experiment" if you will using some of these recs for cottage weekends etc. and there are few that I felt deserved the rating, and few that I would buy again.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I'd highly recommend the strategy of cultivating a relationship with the Vintages reps. Even if you know what you want, they can be very helpful (or not) depending on your relationship. But don't tax it with requests for favours, reservations or pre-release sales. They're happy to help, but no one likes to feel taken advantage of.

Thanks Sadistick - the El Dorado 15 year old is wonderful stuff, and yards ahead of the 12 year old. I missed out on the Centenario the last time they had it - too few for the demand.

One I wish they would bring in is the Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo de Solera from Venezuela - I haven't had it since I brought a bottle back in '99, but again, a beauty.

One to try, but definitely a "candy" offering is the Stroh Austrian spiced rum. I wouldn't normally touch spiced rum, but this is great stuff. I've had the Stroh 80 - beware folks, this is 80% not 80 proof - but can't recommend that. It's too "hot" but I suppose if you want to flambee something and have asbestos gloves ... It's brilliant if you halve figs and let them soak up some of the rum. After a few days the rum is thick and sticky and the figs are delicious.

On the beer side, I wish they would bring in some Kolsch (kolnerbrau). I've been hankering for this since I was in Germany in 2002 and they just never get it in.

Anyone else have products they'd like to see in stock? Love to hear your thoughts.

this is a weird one, but Don de Dieu from Unibroue brewery in Quebec. I like Fin du Monde, and Maudite is nice too (both of which you can get here)...but DDD, yum!

Anyone else have products they'd like to see in stock?  Love to hear your thoughts.

I was at Bymark for dinner on Saturday. What I noticed in my talk with the Sommelier and parusing their cellar was that wines that I thought did not come through the LCBO, really do just through agents only (and man is there many, Kongsgaard comes to mind first along with many others that are in the nice little room but not on the list....yet). I was going to rant about the list of wines I would love to see but I have no idea if they do come in just not into my cellar..... :smile: Anyone know if any agents or the LCBO has ever brought in any Raveneau, R&V Dauvissat, Comtes Lafon (not the Macons but the Meursault's) or Coche Dury? I also picked up some Sloan at the LCBO auction and I first thought that it must have come from one who is on the mailing list but now I wonder if an agent gets a case or two each year?

I'd just like to see them shield the beer from fluorescent lighting. They're apparently aware of the issue but don't give a damn.

I've stopped complaining at my local store, but mostly I have simply stopped buying beer from the LCBO. If you have that little respect for your product, why should I buy from you?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Don't know if this belongs in this thread, but I had a question:

LCBO controls what people buy and for how much. The internet is undeniably opening up opportunities south of the border. But cannucks can't ship wine (reliably) from a US-based internet seller and import it without getting whacked.

So the question is: has anyone had experience buying online and shipping to a storage facility in Buffalo or Rochester? Could that be a business opportunity?

So the question is: has anyone had experience buying online and shipping to a storage facility in Buffalo or Rochester?  Could that be a business opportunity?

You'd still get "whacked" taking it across the border. And not declaring it is a no-no. That's called smuggling.

It is no fun trying to move beverage alcohol across the border.

I took much of my collection with me to the US when I moved down there in '98. No problem taking it down. I'm then not sure it was technically kosher to ship from NY to Chicago, but it all seemed to work out.

But then when I moved from Chicago to Toronto - moved things which had largely been purchased in Ontario and had therefore already been subject to taxation - I had to pay almost the full original value of the items again.

Trust me, if there was a legal way of doing this someone would be all over it, in volume.

I'd just like to see them shield the beer from fluorescent lighting. They're apparently aware of the issue but don't give a damn.

I've stopped complaining at my local store, but mostly I have simply stopped buying beer from the LCBO. If you have that little respect for your product, why should I buy from you?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I wasn't aware of that issue, but brown bottles should provide more protection than green. I wonder what lighting the Beer Store uses in the back.

You are right to say the LCBO doesn't care. Somewhere around 1990 they stopped stocking wine in horizontal bins, corks or no corks. Fortunately a few wines now come with Stelvin or even a glass stopper, so vertical is OK.

It is no fun trying to move beverage alcohol across the border.

I took much of my collection with me to the US when I moved down there in '98.  No problem taking it down.  I'm then not sure it was technically kosher to ship from NY to Chicago, but it all seemed to work out. 

But then when I moved from Chicago to Toronto - moved things which had largely been purchased in Ontario and had therefore already been subject to taxation - I had to pay almost the full original value of the items again.

Trust me, if there was a legal way of doing this someone would be all over it, in volume.

There is a form that you should have filed out when you crossed the border listing everything that you brought down and then would not have to pay tax on any of it coming back. As for coming up with things just purchased there are ways in other provinces but not here and not for people that are Ontario residents.

Second set of 2005 Bordeaux Futures are out.  I am sure they are moving fast at these prices.... :wink:

http://www.vintages.com/futures/bordeaux-f...2005_list2.html

Price range $42 (Ch. Fontenil, Fronsac) to $1295 (Petrus). With the current wine glut, there should be downward prressure on the lower ranks, but we'll have to wait for this.

What do you guys think about the Pinot's that are in the next release?  Any worth while?

I would check out the Vacheron or the Albert Mann. The Prieur is always a good bet but for that kind of cash I am buying more Loring and A.P. Vin from Calgary for 10 bucks more a bottle instead. Pretty thin in the Califonia department. Can not help with NZ of Australia since I have had very few from there.

I still can not figure out how this happens but a few stores got a few cases of the 2002 Spottswoode Cabernet in. Price is not too bad at $124 given the US release price of $110 back in September of last year. Picked up two bottles. No note of its release at all. Strange.

I still can not figure out how this happens but a few stores got a few cases of the 2002 Spottswoode Cabernet in.  Price is not too bad at $124 given the US release price of $110 back in September of last year.  Picked up two bottles.  No note of its release at all.  Strange.

It's been very wierd lately, there have been a number of items that have quietly appeared on the shelves. I walked into Summerhill about a week ago and there was a bunch of different 2001 Barolo that was never announced.

Edited by Manolo (log)

Yes, I thought this too. I thought I must have missed something and didn't check the release notes again when I got home. It does make for a more exciting visit though that is more akin to an easter egg hunt! :laugh:

I still can not figure out how this happens but a few stores got a few cases of the 2002 Spottswoode Cabernet in.  Price is not too bad at $124 given the US release price of $110 back in September of last year.  Picked up two bottles.  No note of its release at all.  Strange.

It's been very wierd lately, there have been a number of items that have quietly appeared on the shelves. I walked into Summerhill about a week ago and there was a bunch of different 2001 Barolo that was never announced.

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

They must have either had consignments returned or be clearing out the warehouse :)

Anyone else try the Codorniu pinot cava from the last release? I really enjoyed it and at $16 a pop guilt free compared to champers.

It is no fun trying to move beverage alcohol across the border....

If you travel out of country, beyond the 1.5L tax-free exemption, you're allowed to bring up to a case per person, but taxed at 100%. Sounds pretty bad, but if you consider the outrageous LCBO mark ups for some wines, in particular, American wines, bordeaux, it may be worth it, especially if the wine can't be found at the LCBO. Just remember to have invoices for the wines because they tax based on invoice price.

I believe there are in-store releases that are not publicized but are available only at specific stores. Also, I understand some of the bigger stores may get permission to put wines on the shelf that aren't released until later because they have extra shelf space. So, yes, you really have to go to the stores to look and not rely only on the publicized releases... but that's what makes it fun!!

• 5 months later...

The Marquis Phil looks good, but there is not much so I'll rush out to a Vintages Corner.

The Kilakanoon doesn't show up in store supplies.

I'll have to try the Tunisian pinot noir (Didot?) at $13. The Star review was good.

I got a bottle each of the Kilikanoon Blocks Road, Marquis Phiips and the Concha & Toro Terrunyo and Rasteau Cotes du Rhone as well to try. Opened the Marquis Philips today and it was pretty good for the $18 price. The 90-point rating from Parker is probably a little high. I'd say it's closer to 87-88 and it would make a good party wine as it's fruity and easy drinking.