• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat A Tasty Animal For PETA Day

=Mark

Like an ad campaign likening the eating of poultry to the Holocaust. Know of a few children of survivors that were pretty upset by that one

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Oooh! Now this is a holiday I can get into. I respect anyone else's food choices, but have little positive to say about PETA and their tactics. Mmmm...I'm thinking steak tonight.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Just think of what they could do if they were backed up by all of the people like me (and believe me, there are many) whose sentiments are similar, but who would not be willing to work with PETA. I would love to see higher standards set up for the treatment of all food animals (and others), and I would love to see some sort of symbol that could be placed on packaging, that would give me confidence that the animal lived and was killed in a humane manner. But the beef, pork, and poultry industries are extremely powerful, and it's going to be extremely difficult to get that type of legislation passed. The answer? The backing of large numbers of people, and PETA will not have that anytime soon --and not at all, if they don't change their tactics. That's why I say that animals are suffering because of them. There is more, much more, to be done. If PETA has to do it alone, it'll take a lot longer to get it done than if there were a more moderate (and well-behaved) organization that moderates like me could support.

Just think of what they could do if they were backed up by all of the people like me (and believe me, there are many) whose sentiments are similar, but who would not be willing to work with PETA.  I would love to see higher standards set up for the treatment of all food animals (and others), and I would love to see some sort of symbol that could be placed on packaging, that would give me confidence that the animal lived and was killed in a humane manner.  But the beef, pork, and poultry industries are extremely powerful, and it's going to be extremely difficult to get that type of legislation passed.  The answer?  The backing of large numbers of people, and PETA will not have that anytime soon --and not at all, if they don't change their tactics.  That's why I say that animals are suffering because of them.  There is more, much more, to be done.  If PETA has to do it alone, it'll take a lot longer to get it done than if there were a more moderate (and well-behaved) organization that moderates like me could support.

I'm not sure how Kosher certification is affected by the lifestyle of an animal, but I know that the beast must be killed in a humane fashion to be certified.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Just think of what they could do if they were backed up by all of the people like me (and believe me, there are many) whose sentiments are similar, but who would not be willing to work with PETA.  I would love to see higher standards set up for the treatment of all food animals (and others), and I would love to see some sort of symbol that could be placed on packaging, that would give me confidence that the animal lived and was killed in a humane manner.  But the beef, pork, and poultry industries are extremely powerful, and it's going to be extremely difficult to get that type of legislation passed.  The answer?  The backing of large numbers of people, and PETA will not have that anytime soon --and not at all, if they don't change their tactics.  That's why I say that animals are suffering because of them.  There is more, much more, to be done.  If PETA has to do it alone, it'll take a lot longer to get it done than if there were a more moderate (and well-behaved) organization that moderates like me could support.

While I think blaming PETA is going too far, I really agree with JGM it would be great if there was an organization that those of us who want to eat our veal but treat it well too could support. "Carnivores Against Cruelty"? :biggrin:

As it is I do pay a premium to vendors who can assure me my meat has been rasied humanely, but there's no standardization right now. We have cruelty free labeling for other products, I'd like to see it for my dinner as well...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I agree with this so much, jgm. What pisses me off is that PETA (and other similar organizations) and their tactics make ALL people who are concerned about animal issues seem like not to be taken seriously crackpots. They encourage a black and white mentality about the issues. Do I eat animals? Yep. Do I hate cruelty against animals? Yep. Those aren't mutually exclusive, but PETA assumes they are. I, too, would love some kind of recognizable, dependable 'brand' that would assure me of humane treatment - I would even pay a premium for that.

While my time as a strict vegetarian lasted for approximately three months in high school, I can understand why some vegetarians see "meat=cruelty to animals" as a black and white issue.

I may not agree with them, but I neither feel there is a good way to argue with them, nor feel compelled to do so.

Malawry told me that there was a good old thread on the subject of vegetarianism. I don't know if this is the one she remembers, but I suspect it is.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath