• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restricted food imports in the Philippines

I'm going to the Philippines next week. Some relatives have asked me to bring certain hard-to-get food items for them. I've been searching for lists of foods that are banned from import, but haven't been able to find one. Are there any Filipinos here who can point me to such a list, or who can tell me if the following are safe to bring?

Citrus fruit (lemons and limes, specifically)

Cooked ham (not canned)

I know in the past, family members have brought cured sausages into the Philippines, so I would assume the ham would be OK. But I don't want to take the risk of bringing these things only to have them confiscated.

I'm not really looking forward to my trip, except for the possibility of eating all that good tropical fruit!

Lucky you Prasantrin, well honestly I don't think they are that strict in customs in the Philippines, sad to say but if you "slide" in a few hundred pesos to the SOME customs officers usually they let you slip and pretend there's nothing there of banned import items. I'm not suggesting you try your luck, merely expressing my observation :biggrin:

I'm going to the Philippines next week.  Some relatives have asked me to bring certain hard-to-get food items for them.  I've been searching for lists of foods that are banned from import, but haven't been able to find one.  Are there any Filipinos here who can point me to such a list, or who can tell me if the following are safe to bring?

Citrus fruit (lemons and limes, specifically)

Cooked ham (not canned)

I know in the past, family members have brought cured sausages into the Philippines, so I would assume the ham would be OK.  But I don't want to take the risk of bringing these things only to have them confiscated.

I'm not really looking forward to my trip, except for the possibility of eating all that good tropical fruit!

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Lucky you Prasantrin, well honestly I don't think they are that strict in customs in the Philippines, sad to say but if you "slide" in a few hundred pesos to the SOME customs officers usually they let you slip and pretend there's nothing there of banned import items. I'm not suggesting you try your luck, merely expressing my observation :biggrin:

I'm not good at that sort of stuff! I'm just a wee girl, after all! :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure the ham will be OK, but I think I'm going to juice and zest the lemons/limes and just bring those parts. I'll preserve the zest in the juice. I'm sure it'll last the total 8 hours including transit time that I'll be traveling!

I've brought in plums, persimmons, nuts, etc. from Europe and Israel without problems. Sometimes it's a question of how much you're bringing in. Am trying to find websites that can help but I think the most efficient way is to call the Consulate or Embassy to see if there are any restrictions. They're usually the best source for location specific info.

Will update later if I find something.

I've brought in plums, persimmons, nuts, etc. from Europe and Israel without problems. Sometimes it's a question of how much you're bringing in. Am trying to find websites that can help but I think the most efficient way is to call the Consulate or Embassy to see if there are any restrictions. They're usually the best source for location specific info.

Will update later if I find something.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try just a few whole along with the juice.

I did e-mail the consulate and the tourist agency, but no reply. Which doesn't really surprise me...

I was thinking, aside from fruit, I'm going to pig out on cakes and sweets--both Filipino and Western ones! I'm hoping to get some Sans Rival, which I haven't had in years! Yum!

Edited to ask: Did you declare the food items you brought in or did you just bring them in without mention? I've been reading horrible things about Customs, right now, about how they check almost everyone's luggage at the airport, so I'm a little worried about that.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

• 3 weeks later...

To answer my own question, it seems you can bring almost any kind of food into the Philippines! I declared everything I had--cooked ham, cream cheese, lemons, etc. and I got through without any problems at all! I think raw meat is iffy, depending on where it's from and what kind of meat it is (I know people who bring frozen beef steaks from the US), but pretty much everything else is A-OK.

That's the Philippines for you!

Hey you're here! You're here! Are you in Negros now? I was in Bacolod not too long ago and I haven't posted my food trip report on my blog, hehehe!

I was trying to figure out the logic of the seeming arbitrary regulations re: bringing in food. I think (not sure, haven't verified) Philippine Customs depends on the immigration officers from the point of origin - since it is assumed that we have diplomatic relations with them and they will uphold both countries' laws anyway - for the packages that passengers bring in.

Or - if our regulations are less strict than the point of origin, then they don't bother too much with checking. If ours are stricter then they do check and quarantine if necessary. I vaguely recall a diplomatic document to that effect.

Hey you're here! You're here! Are you in Negros now? I was in Bacolod not too long ago and I haven't posted my food trip report on my blog, hehehe!

I was trying to figure out the logic of the seeming arbitrary regulations re: bringing in food. I think (not sure, haven't verified) Philippine Customs depends on the immigration officers from the point of origin - since it is assumed that we have diplomatic relations with them and they will uphold both countries' laws anyway - for the packages that passengers bring in.

Or - if our regulations are less strict than the point of origin, then they don't bother too much with checking. If ours are stricter then they do check and quarantine if necessary. I vaguely recall a diplomatic document to that effect.

I returned to Japan on the 3rd. I actually spent very little quality time in Bacolod--three full days plus a few partial days/nights here and there. We went to Bohol and Cebu, and those commutes took more than a bit of time (Cebu wasn't bad, Bohol was a pita, but the scenery made up for it!).

I think Filipino regulations are either less strict or they just don't care. It is the Philippines, after all--easy-going to a fault!

Where did you go in Bacolod? We mostly ate at home, but I had some of the best cakes I've ever had at Calea. Mmmmm....

Will post a report soon--I have to organize my pictures--more than 600!!