• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Lake City Restaurants

Terrific!  I have now requested reservations for the New Yorker for Monday night and Baci for Wednesday night, so now I just need something for Saturday night.

:smile:

Marlene:

You can't go wrong with the New Yorker for good beef and an overall good meal downtown. For Japanese/sushi I strongly recommend Takashi, right down the block from the New Yorker. Takashi has been the best sushi chef in SLC for about 20 years and just opened this new place in the spring. It's terrific!! In addition to the regular sushi fare, Takashi has a sizable collection of "small plates" that are wonderful (Try the fried eggplant in miso......yum!)

For an inexpensive great lunch, try the Atlantic Cafe in the 300 South block of Main.....about half a block from Takashi and New Yorker. It's an eclectic Croatian/Bulgarian/Greek cafe.............wonderful smoked beef and feta..........also great stuffed cabbage rolls. It's become my regular lunch joint downtown, when I don't want to blow my budget at Takashi.

Have a blast!!

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

So here I am in Salt Lake City. Tonight I dined at the New Yorker. I have to say, watching the bartender was worth the price of the meal!

The NY is as mentioned above, a private club. Here in SLC, that means you can drink without eating and/or smoke in the establishment. For me, that meant I was pretty much in heaven.

I sat at the bar, and the two bartenders, Sven and Coulter proceeded to take me under their wings and made me feel most welcome. I always feel somewhat uncomfortable dining alone, but tonight these two guys made that feeling go away.

Coulter was worth the price of admission. He made bottles dance on his hand, threw them in the air, caught them behind his back or in a shaker, and generally performed feats with glasses. bottles, and ice cubes that I would not recommend you try at home. I asked him how many hours a day he practiced and he said 4 or 5 hours a day. Even at that he demured that he wasn't good enough to enter the contests that they have for this type of thing.

Apparently, Coulter won an award for a drink he concocted (the name of which escapes me at the moment)

I began with the Honey Hoisin BBQ ribs which were absolutely perfect. Not too saucy, but just right. A generous serving, I couldn't eat all of it for fear I wouldn't be able to eat dinner.

Dinner was a NY Strip steak with green and yellow beans, crispy fried onion rings and potato. The steak was actually not as good as I had anticipated. It was good, just not one of those stand out in your mind as one of the best steaks ever meal. However, it was better than average, and as I said, the entertainment, made it all worthwhile.

I finished with a terrific cappacino with Frangelico and made my way back to my hotel. A great dinner for my first night here.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There are actually, even with all of the bizarre laws involving the making and selling of alcoholic beverages, a couple of way above average brewpubs in Salt Lake City and the surrounding area.

Squatters

and then there is Wasatch, which is really in Park City, but they make great beer and the owner, a very funny guy, comes up with names that often poke fun at the locals (the one's that eat lots of jello and casseroles). He is currently still running his controversial, but quite humorously named, Polygamy Porter.

Have fun.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Come down to the Metropolitan if you get a chance. I work in the kitchen there and we just changed to the fall menu...it is great. But be sure to go to Takashi as well...that place rocks...Martine has always disappointed me and the New Yorker gets their demi from a can...but that is just my two cents. There's a great vietnamese restaurant called Mi La Cai on State that is awesome and cheap...also in Sugarhouse there is a great Tuscan joint called Michaelangelo that I highly recommend.

Have fun!

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I only got to eat out twice while I was there. The rest of the time it was boring conference food. I already posted about the New Yorker.

In fact, I tried to talk my group into going to the Metropolitan on Wed night, but since only one of them could even be remotely considered a "foodie", it was not selling well.

Instead we ended up in the wine bar at Baci, where we still had a great meal. I had a carpaccio starter, and a veal parmesan. The carppaccio was above average, but not stellar, but the veal was pretty much awesome. A round of cappucinos and several bottles of wine, we were pretty happy.

I'll be back in SLC probably in about 6 months as I'm giving a course there, so when I get there, I'll definately come down and visit you

:smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 month later...

I went to SLC during the Thanksgiving holiday. Got to eat out a few times. Didn't eat there, but have you ever tried the Oasis Cafe? Both my wife and her brother who lives there like it. They had a couple other suggestions I haven't tried and can't remember. My wife's company has an office in SLC, so she sometimes is there on business.

I had two food requirements for this trip: Red Iguana and Crown Burgers. Also hit Hires Big H for comparison. Liked all three. Red Iguana would be a good Mexican place in any city in the country. I love Crown as well. When I was in college there was a knock-off run by Pakistanis, Royal Burger, that was even better. But they're gone now.

Anyway, a fuller report with lots of pics can be found here:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?name=N...=article&sid=37

And here's a pic of the Crown Burger:

crownburgers6.sized.jpg

• 10 months later...

I'm actually going to be in Salt Lake City in mid November for a week. What's the latest on the dining scene?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...

Jason,

I asked a friend of mine from Salt Lake City about the restaurants on this web site. He's eaten at all of them except for Toscana and Paris Bistro. They're all good, with Metropolitan probably the best in town. He's heard good things about Paris Bistro too. One of his favorite sushi places is Takashi, and there's a sushi bar called Mikado, near Sandy, Utah (a suburb south of SLC) that he recommends. In Provo, where you'll be staying is a place called Chef's Table...excellent reputation, but he hasn't been there yet. Finally, La Caille, near Sandy, has "the best atmosphere of any restaurant in the country (many film scenes have been shot there.)" Sorry I don't have more details about any of these places, but the above web site has links to some of them. The local online newspapers also have listings and reviews (Salt Lake City Weekly; Salt Lake Tribune, Deseret News.) Have a good time and please report back to us.

Ilene

Ilene

Jason - here are some of my recommendations. They're mostly downtown, as that's my 'hood and I've only lived here since May.

Recommended:

Martine - great tapas

Cucina Toscana - good italian

Squatters - good local brewpub

Red Iguana - great authentic mexican

Metropolitan - probably slc's best

Hires - great burgers

Ruth's Diner - fun breakfast spot

Not Recommended:

The New Yorker (more for the service, not the food - your mileage may vary)

Cafe Pierpont - terrible mexican

Faustina - not bad, but for the price Martine is 10x better

Red Rocks Brewing - also not bad, just not as good as squatters

Not sure if you've made the trip yet or not.

I've lived in SLC for 15 years now. The restaurant situation is improving but still dull. This is NOT a restaurant town.

I travel extensively and take clients out to dinner all around the world. The SLC restaurants mentioned above are fine but, at their best, none would qualify as even a 2 star place in NYC.

• 3 months later...

I'm still somewhat hammered, but thought I'd file a quick report...

Set-up:

Me (typically trying to strike up a conversation with the comely waitress): So how does a restaurant stay in business in a predominantly dry town?

Comely waitress: Tourists.

So ended my first meal in Salt Lake City, at Metropolitan.

It's strange to sit in a really nice place, watch cute couples eating and canoodling, and think "he's not getting her drunk? what's the point of taking her out to dinner?" because they're just drinking water. Like living on another planet.

I wandered around SLC (what a clean city!) until I found this place, previously endorsed by other e-g'ers. Having been recovering from a dreadful two-week cold, and a couple of days on planes, I decided to treat myself to the seven-course, with wine ($75 + $60). Two bottles of water, too.

Watercress salad with watermelon, crab meat, and juniper. Terriric starter, very autumn (even considering the watermelon). I don't usually like watermelon, but loved the combo. (Charles de Fere Brut).

Double Tomato Soup (with a goat cheese thing-y, and a dried slice o' tomato). Good, but still just tomato soup. (2004 Boutari Moschifilero from Greece - a nice, but bone dry match with the creamy soup).

Seared foie gras with radish, green onion, and ginger. Another very autumnal dish (never mind that it is March). I'm not used to having foie gras without a sweeter, say chutney-esque, accompaniment. And I really liked this approach. (Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey Sauternes).

Seared diver scallop (with red pepper sauce, tomato, basil sauce, and artichoke). Grrrr. Another dish (first one here, but an ongoing complaint of mine) in which salt is used like an herb. Too salty. Ruined the dish. (2004 Crow Canyon Chard - I'm guessing an oak-free Chard, which made it a bit of an odd match, too).

Watermelon sorbet. It's funny, because isn't watermelon sort of sorbet like anyway? And (as I mentioned above), it's not my fav ingredient. But I loved this sorbet. It was a great palate cleanser but (contrarily) had a long finish like a fine glass of wine. Terrific thing.

Filet mignon with cinnamon cap mushrooms, truffled potato foam. It's hard to get jazzed about steak. I like steak, but steak is steak. But this was some fabulous meat. And I loved the potato foam. I know it is all the rage in Barcelona, but I can't say that I've had serious foam yet - and this was the second time this meal. What do you put the mashed pots in a whipped creme canister? Rockin' good. (02 Clos du Val Cab Sauv)

Passion fruit and white chocolate mille-feuille, with coconut, sesame, and vanilla. (banfi rosa regale). All fruit, including that nice "greenness" that you get from passion fruit.

All in all, it was a very good meal. I don't think it was worth the total price. But I'd go back and order a la carte, without hesitation. On a four fork scale, the salad gets 4 forks, the foie gras, sorbet, and steak get 3, the dessert gets 2.5, the soup gets 2, and the scallop gets 1. So what's that, about a 2.75 average? Pretty good in my book.

Being semi-liquored up, I was directed to the Red Door, where I bought my three-week membership (guess I'm going tomorrow, too!) and had a solid Cosmopolitan, in order to complete the job.

Started schlepping back to the Radisson and realized I was out of smokes. Finding cigs in SLC is harder than getting a drink - I felt like I walked five miles. Anyway, the front desk at the hotel directed me to the Maverick gas station. It was from there that I saw Crown Burger, down the block!

I'm only here for two nights, so I better strike the Crown Burger while it's there to be struck. Got my burger, and a Coke.

These things have been previously noted on other threads. A cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, and onion, topped with pastrami and Russian dressing. Sort of a cross between a cheeseburger and a ruben. Good stuff - even on a full stomach.

Hope to follow-up fairly rapidly with a report on Red Iguana - tomorrow's destination.

Edited by fchrisgrimm (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Still waiting for Part 2. How was the Red Iguana?

Well, I think you are waiting for his report. However, I'll go ahead and post a bit of a response since I happen to live not too far away.... (I'm in Provo, which is about 45 minutes south.)

The Red Iguana is fantastic. It always has been and always will be. The prices are reasonable. It isn't fancy. But the food is so good that you will often find yourself in a line going out the door. This occurs even in the winter months so they had to install infrared heaters over the sidewalk to keep people warm. (I waited about 45 minutes in line outside last Nov. It wasn't too bad with the heater but without it, it would have been brutal.) This is a local "hang out" place thus is casual dining.

They are particularly famous for their moles. They have the best moles I have ever had. Having grown up in New Mexico, I've had some pretty good stuff in and around the Santa Fe area. However, their moles can't IMHO be beat.

For years these were the only things I ate their. Why give up a great mole for a "taco" ??? Then two or three years ago, we were coming back home and we decided to get some take-out. I ordered my usual mole for myself and my wife and then ordered some tacos for the kids. Our son being about three thought the taco was "too spicy" so I got it. Man, that was an incredible taco! I don't think I've had another that quite compared. Since then, I've tried a whole variety of their other dishes (though their moles are still my favorite) and they are all incredible. My only regret is that we don't live closer so that we could eat there more frequently.

Hope this helps,

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

Anything new to report for SLC?

Will be there for a couple of nights next week. 

Definitely going to Red Iguana, but undecided on the other night.

I would heavily recommend the Bombay House if you like Indian food. I've eaten at Indian restraunts all around the country and the Bombay House is IMHO the best one I've found. It is actually run by a good friend of mine -- we used to go to school together in Hawai'i. He came here and opened up the Bombay House in Provo (and later SLC). His name is Danny and he is very particular about his quality and service. I'm always amazed at the lengths he will go to to ensure that things are "just right."

I didn't go for the longest time not ever quite getting around to it. Finally,l I broke down and went and it was incredible. I've been a very regular customer ever since (for about 15 years now). They get all sorts of awards through Zagats and local / state awards as well. Definitely worth trying.

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

Is Takashi still the best bet for sushi in SLC? I'm heading over to SLC on Tuesday for club volleyball championships and should be there most of the week, and would love to try the top sushi restaurant.

Yes, yes, a thousand times....YES!! :biggrin:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

Is Takashi still the best bet for sushi in SLC? I'm heading over to SLC on Tuesday for club volleyball championships and should be there most of the week, and would love to try the top sushi restaurant.

Thanks. How much does omakase usually run??

Thanks. How much does omakase usually run??

cchen:

I honestly don't know. I have my favorites and usually order them (hirame sashimi, sweet and spicy giant clam roll, spanish makeral, pray for snow roll, tuna tetaki, etc); and then ask Takashi what is special or good to try.

Takashi is pricier than most of the other sushi places in SLC, but not unreasonably so. Do try to sit at Takashi's own station (He is the short guy, slender, about mid forties) if you can. Tell him you're a friend of Bill's from Moab :wink:

I'm going up to SLC later this week for a few days and will definitely be at Takashi's Thurs or Friday (or both :biggrin: )

I hope you enjoy it.

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

Thanks for the info. One more question. Any spots for cheap eats near the convention center?

for cheap eats around the convention center I would remmomend Junior's Tacos, and Squatters and Red Rocks brewpubs are both relitively cheap.

cchen-

I must second Bill's recommendation of Takashi. I eat there about once a week and it is always fabulous. I have not ordered omakase style there but have in Vegas and CA at comparably priced restaurants and I am sure you would not find the pricing to be astronomical. Then again, I suppose it depends on what you end up with! I would say go for it.

Happy eating~

Angela :biggrin: