• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gringo en el mercado

Fresser

I too love shopping in the ethnic markets. I can spend hours looking at the different products that I have no clue what to do with but seem to be a staple for another culture.

Last summer we had some friends visiting us from Monterrey, Mexico. The husband went to college in Texas and his English is perfect. His wife also had some English but this was her first trip to the U.S. I talked her into teaching me a common Mexican dish, so we planned to cook dinner together one night (jeez I'm a lousy host :biggrin: ). She didn't know the English word for the cut of meat that she needed so we went to the big hispanic market. She was shocked to see businesses in the surrounding area with names and words in Spanish. When we got into the market, she asked someone if they spoke Spanish. Well, naturally she had a much easier time navigating than I did! She had no idea that there were so many people here that spoke her language and such strong latino communities existed.

(BTW: It was priceless to see the look on her face when we told her even voting materials and driving tests were printed in Spanish.)