• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3/14 is National Pi Day

It's sweet and poetic: I heard on "Morning Edition" on the way to work that today is National Pi Day --- er, 3.14 and all. Apparently, middle schools throughout the land are honoring it by serving: pie. And that infinite number beginning with 3.14 is, of course, very handy in figuring the area of a pie.

I'll now go work out the area of the tortillas I'll be using for my fish tacos.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I wish I'd known earlier; I would have modified tonight's menu. However, by measuring carefully, I managed to consume precisely 3.14 ounces of gin during cocktail hour tonight. I served it of course in a round glass (upper surface area 8.67 square inches).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Drat - missed it before dinner as well. I would have rolled the Tandoori chicken in tortillas versus lavash. But I *could* make up for it later by having 3.14 ounces of Port later on tonight (also in round glasses - thanks, Dave!).

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Warning: I am a HUGE math geek. In fact, in university, I was the president of our math club!

A leftover from those days always results in a pie eating contest with my friends on 3.14.

Blueberry, cherry, and keylime were all present.

The bourboun walnut was suggested, but all decided it was too hard to bite into with no hands.

I have to go hide now. :unsure:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

I work at a software company, where we're all proud nerds. Every year on 3/14 at 1:59 p.m. (3.14159!), we eat pi.

I had chocolate cream. :wub:

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

It's sweet and poetic: I heard on "Morning Edition" on the way to work that today is National Pi Day --- er, 3.14 and all.  Apparently, middle schools throughout the land are honoring it by serving: pie. 

There will be a pizza pi party for my two in NYC middle school but they are doing it today :huh: . I hope they will at least have some green pepper on those things and that St. Patty won't mind sharing his day this year. :biggrin:

Edited by NYC Mike (log)

-Mike & Andrea

Here's a thought that relates Pi to pie: if Pi is really an irrational number, which is to say that it truly never repeats or terminates, then every pie recipe that exists, indeed every pie recipe that can exist, is represented in numeric form somewhere in the digits in Pi. For that matter, every bit of information that can be represented numerically (for instance, the precise text of all the posts to this thread), would have to be represented somewhere in the digits of Pi.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Here's a thought that relates Pi to pie: if Pi is really an irrational number, which is to say that it truly never repeats or terminates, then every pie recipe that exists, indeed every pie recipe that can exist, is represented in numeric form somewhere in the digits in Pi. For that matter, every bit of information that can be represented numerically (for instance, the precise text of all the posts to this thread), would have to be represented somewhere in the digits of Pi.

I solve that problem when I bake pies by converting everything to a different base number system.

SB (too clever by a half) :wink:

...every pie recipe that exists, indeed every pie recipe that can exist, is represented in numeric form...

9147 0, 510 37 9411 842 3420….78 2 21? :wink:

Oooh, that's one of my favorites! I love to top it with a little of the old standby, 00110101011010010111110011010100101010101010101011110101.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh