• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interlude food similarities

Robots are interesting but they cant season food and they cant tell me when one of my ideas suck.

Nah... who needs to season food with something like "taste" when you could simply make a dish and then scan it's makeup at the molecular level and then reproduce it exactly from a store of "blank matter" (sorta like culinary stem cells) - that way there is only 1 person involved in the process.

You could hire Google to write an algorithm to calculate the statistical probability of whether an idea will suck or not based on access to the genomes of all known edible substances, every food review ever written and all the written philosophies on human nature.

You just enter in the combination of ingredients in the box and click submit and get back a big SUCK

or DOESN'T SUCK and an explaination why.

Hmm... on second thought - maybe that is taking things too far?

Its not that simple. I DO work with some of the worlds most advanced algorithm creators (who make google look like minus infinity) and we are trying to create the worlds first food emulator for the Mars mission. So yes, for the next 25 to 35 years this would be taking it too far. Unless you know something the worlds preeminent computer scientists dont. I dont mean any disrespect, im just saying, know the subject in its entirety before making the almighty judgement. Is that taking it too far?

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Its not that simple. I DO work with some of the worlds most advanced algorithm creators (who make google look like minus infinity) and we are trying to create the worlds first food emulator for the Mars mission. So yes, for the next 25 to 35 years this would be taking it too far. Unless you know something the worlds preeminent computer scientists dont. I dont mean any disrespect, im just saying, know the subject in its entirety before making the almighty judgement. Is that taking it too far?

:smile: No disrespect taken.

Wouldn't have dreamt that it was that simple (just in case you think

I was serious about creating such a thing, or replacing humans

with robots to season food, or replacing human expression

with mathematical probability... because... I wasn't.)

Wish you the best of luck though.

Not only do I not know something they don't or any subject in it's entirety... I'm not

doing anything really in exclusion of all others - as far as I know anyway.

It's that knowing part that always gets me.

Edited by sizzleteeth (log)

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

I find this discussion very interesting and kind of timely because I have just noticed a local restaurant in Milwaukee, The Social that seems to have been very influenced by Michael Symon's Lola Bistro in Cleveland. The only reason I caught this was I just finished reading Michael Ruhlman's "Soul of a Chef" and I noticed some menu items that were oddly familiar; Crabby Tater Tots, Mac and Cheese with Goat Cheese, Chicken, and Rosemary, and the Knuckle Sandwich (made with Lobster) were all mentioned in the book and all appear on the menu at The Social in Milwaukee.

I could see if there was one item on the menu that was similar, but to have three of the same items that seem to be Lola's signature dishes seemd a bit odd. I wonder if the chef at Social just assumed that people in Milwaukee would never link the two restaurants.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com