• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Papas en Escabeche

_john

I hope I have the right name for this side dish. It is a popular "salsa bar" item at taquerias in California and I would like to know more about it. Is escabeche a standard brine that is used for many things or is it specific to these pickles? The ones I am familiar with are usually a mixed pickle with red skinned or yellow skinned waxy potatoes, onions, carrots, jalapenos, and bayleaf in a sour sweet brine. The potatoes appear to be partially cook, I'm wondering if this is from the brine or are they par boiled. I found this recipe but I am seeking clarification.

I would improve the recipe slightly. I suggest using a fruit vinegar like apple cider or if possible an authentic pineapple vinegar and whole peppercorns over granos (which i interprete as grains).

I have made a few different versions in the past, sometimes with whole chile jalapenos that I have sliced through from the bottom so they cook through, but otherwise left intact through or with small dry chilies like moritas or small smoked chilies from Oaxaca.

I'm not your recipe calls for enough vinegar though. Have you made it yet?

I did par-boil my ingredients, particularly the carrots I used and whole heads of garlic. So yes, do cook the potatoes a bit.

I haven't made it yet. The ones I have eaten usually had the jalapenos split lengthwise, which gave it a good spicyness. I was going to use whole peppercorns, the fruit vinegar and whole head of garlic sound like great additions. Do you happen to have a recipe for your version?

• 3 months later...

This is something I have been wanting some help with myself. I got a recipe, but it is somewhat vague and I am not 100 percent sure that I have it translated perfectly. I am having to fill in some gaps with the actual preparation. Any help appreciated.

Here is the untranslated version.

Hay que freir cada verdura por separado y desgrasarlas en papel absorbente. Agrege las verduras fritas y los hongos a los demas ingredientes en un frasco grande y refrigere.

¼ cucharadita semillas de cilantro

5 clavos

8 pimienta gorda

½ cucharadita tomillo

¼ cucharadita mejorana

2 ó 3 hojas laurel

1 cucharada sal de cocina

1 cucharada consome de pollo

20 papas chicas

5 calabazas rebanadas

5 zanahorias rebanadas

½ coliflor en trozos

1 cebolla rebanada

20 ejotes cortados a la mitad

20 chiles jalapeños

1 lata mediana de champiñones y su jugo

3 ajos enteros más o menos pelados aceite de maíz para freír

and what I have come up with...

1/4 tsp coriander (cilantro) seeds

5 cloves

8 whole peppercorns

1/2 tsp thyme

1/4 Tblsp marjoram

2 to 3 bay leaves

1 Tblsp salt

1 Tblsp chicken bouillon

20 small potatoes

5 sliced zucchini

5 sliced carrots

1/2 head cauliflower cut into small pieces

1 sliced onion

20 green beans cut in half

20 whole jalapeno

1 can of mushrooms with liquid

3 peeled cloves of garlic

The main problems I have with this are... the recipe says to fry each ingredient seperately in oil and then place on paper towels. I can see the need to cook some of these ingredients prior to putting them in brine, but frying just doesnt seem right? I am picturing this murky nasty concoction with lots of floating oil. Secondly, the recipe as I got it omits any mention of vinegar and or brine. I questioned the person who gave it to me and she just said to cover it with vinegar.

Confused!

Edited by Goatjunky (log)

This is something I have been wanting some help with myself.  I got a recipe, but it is somewhat vague and I am not 100 percent sure that I have it translated perfectly.  I am having to fill in some gaps with the actual preparation.  Any help appreciated.

Here is the untranslated version. 

Hay que freir cada verdura por separado y desgrasarlas en papel absorbente. Agrege las verduras fritas y los hongos a los demas ingredientes en un frasco grande y refrigere.

¼ cucharadita semillas de cilantro

5 clavos

8 pimienta gorda

½ cucharadita tomillo

¼ cucharadita mejorana

2 ó 3 hojas laurel

1 cucharada sal de cocina

1 cucharada consome de pollo

20 papas chicas

5 calabazas rebanadas

5 zanahorias rebanadas

½ coliflor en trozos

1 cebolla rebanada

20 ejotes cortados a la mitad

20 chiles jalapeños

1 lata mediana de champiñones y su jugo

3 ajos enteros más o menos pelados aceite de maíz para freír

and what I have come up with...

1/4 tsp coriander (cilantro) seeds

5 cloves

8 whole peppercorns

1/2 tsp thyme

1/4 Tblsp marjoram

2 to 3 bay leaves

1 Tblsp salt

1 Tblsp chicken bouillon

20 small potatoes

5 sliced zucchini

5 sliced carrots

1/2 head cauliflower cut into small pieces

1 sliced onion

20 green beans cut in half

20 whole jalapeno

1 can of mushrooms with liquid

3 peeled cloves of garlic

The main problems I have with this are...  the recipe says to fry each ingredient seperately in oil and then place on paper towels.  I can see the need to cook some of these ingredients prior to putting them in brine, but frying just doesnt seem right?  I am picturing this murky nasty concoction with lots of floating oil.  Secondly, the recipe as I got it omits any mention of vinegar and or brine.  I questioned the person who gave it to me and she just said to cover it with vinegar. 

Confused!

Hi there,

Pimenta gorda is allspice not peppercorns.

Off the top of my head and not having had my quota of caffeine this morning, I'd simmer the ingredients in vinegar (apple cider vinegar), adding the vegetables that cook fastest at the end. I'd simmer until they were just done.

s

Hi there,

Pimenta gorda is allspice not peppercorns.

Off the top of my head and not having had my quota of caffeine this morning,  I'd simmer the ingredients in vinegar (apple cider vinegar), adding the vegetables that cook fastest at the end. I'd simmer until they were just done.

s

Thank you for the help on the translation! I think I will start experimenting with this this week.