• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Premium Aussie Olive oils

Hi,

Has anyone used Australian olive oils, the premium ones? How does it compare to its expensive European counterparts, in terms taste?

Any particular brand or estate to look for in Aussie EVOOs?  :smile:

Thx

There is one that you have to try. It is from Tasmania. The Ashbolt olive oil has won many awards. It is a very dark green, unctuous, deeply-flavoured oil that muscles up to the best in Tuscany and Spain.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

If you check the bookshops, there is a book (around $15 iirc) that is a guide to Australian Olive oils. It's like those wine guides in that they have tasting notes, price range, etc.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

If you check the bookshops, there is a book (around $15 iirc) that is a guide to Australian Olive oils.  It's like those wine guides in that they have tasting notes, price range, etc.

Looks very interesting indeed Extra Virgin : An Australian Companion to Olives and Olive Oil

The definitive book on Australian olives and olive oil, Extra Virgin covers everything from the arrival of the country's first olive tree in 1900 to the current craze for all things olive. Contributors include Stefano Manfredi, Stephanie Alexander, Joe Grilli, Lew Kathreptis, Ian Parmenter, Maggie Beer, Ann Oliver and Rosa Matto.

Gee,

Thx guys. I'm eager to visit an aussie olive estate one day.

I think i'm gonna look for a good bottle this weekend!! - just can't tolerate bad olive oils (like one in my pantry now)

Thx again...

My favourite Australian olive oil has to be Mount Zero biodynamic evoo, may be I haven't tasted many, but i find most australian brands a bit harsh tasting ( burn your throat even ) , a bit raw and green . but not Mount Zero.

My favourite Australian olive oil has to be Mount Zero biodynamic evoo, may be I haven't tasted many, but i find most australian brands a bit harsh tasting ( burn your throat even ) , a bit raw and green . but not Mount Zero.

When you use a premium olive oil, is it something you just use with salads or where there is not much cooking required (like quickly searing some fish fillets)?

For other things like browning some onions that will eventually find their way into a stew, do you use just an ordinary olive oil? In this case, wouldn't the benefits of the premium olive oil eventually get lost in the final dish?

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

When you use a premium olive oil, is it something you just use with salads or where there is not much cooking required (like quickly searing some fish fillets)?

For other things like browning some onions that will eventually find their way into a stew, do you use just an ordinary olive oil? In this case, wouldn't the benefits of the premium olive oil eventually get lost in the final dish?

For everyday cooking I use Colavita EVOO (I get the 3L tin) , I use more premium ones for drizzling onto bruschetta, pasta, pizza and minestrone just before serving, I like the heady aroma that it gives especially on hot food, I use it on salad too, especially the lemon scented olive oil.

I've tried both in restaurants and in bottles we brought back home from our Australian holiday:

Joseph Cold Pressed and the Nolan Road Robust.

Both a very intense and flavourful olive oils.

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG