• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guy Food

Pontormo

Love it.

My man sits down on the couch, 5 minutes after a great dinner that he has stuffed himself to the gills on, full of fat and other wonderful stuff, and then he:

Downs a QUART of Hagen Dazs in one sitting and about 10 to 15 minutes time elapsed from dinner.

He's all man too. I sleep with him every night.

Maybe it is the speed of fat consumption that makes it manly?

Speaking on behalf of my (overly? :raz: ) masculine husband...

A big plate of spaghetti with a meaty red sauce, garlic bread and half a bottle of red wine.

A mess of brats with sauerkraut and beer served in his special stein.

Thick beef stew with homemade biscuits and butter.

A large weekend breakfast of three scrambled eggs, four-five slices of thick bacon, two slices of bread with butter, spicy potatoes fried with onions/red bell-pepper and a tall glass of orange juice.

He loves grilled food, too. Especially hamburgers, prawns and chicken breasts.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Mine gets a hankering for what we call (thanks to eGullet) a big F*** off steak.  Even better if he can grill it himself.

Chili.

Mine too...I call it the "Flinstone sized steak" - minimum size 1lb. He has to cut it in half to fit it on the dinner plate :blink: . No room for anything else, maybe a salad or some grilled veg on a separate plate.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Mr. gini has asked that I post this for him (just to help gather market data you know!):

Cashew butter and jelly

Anything on a grill

Sushi

Spice-tastic Korean dishes

Pie - especially apple or walnut bourbon

Oatmeal raisin cookies - and oatmeal raisin cookie ice cream

Hot wings

Chili

Carrot Cake - and really just a vat of cream cheese frosting

His favorite vegetables are: corn, green beans and potatoes.

On our first date, he told me he only ate his vegetables in soup.

GUINNESS, Smethwick’s and more Guinness. Oh, and a pile of salted cashews. Or a whole bag.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

What is the guy equivalent of our own Fress in a Dress?*

Mr. FB likes his pie too, Gini. He loves it. And he also likes cheesecake, and manicotti, and chowder. He also loves panini (I think it's the squish factor). Main course fish are salmon or swordfish. A little red wine and port rounds this out and of course, a ceegar from our most recent Caribbean adventures.

I'm the one who does with a nice bit of steak, some vodka straight from the freezer with a chunk of orange in it, and maybe some blue cheese on a spud or something like that.

(I always got a hoot out of catering clients who, when we'd be putting together menus, would said, "now, remember: this is for men! Cold cuts, cheese not to smelly, no funny coffee, and lots of pie.")

(*)FFB, who could be FoodBabe in a tux ... I even have the shoes for it!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Chicken Fried Steak w/lots of white gravy, side of hashbrowns, biscuits-split open with 2 overeasy eggs on top. Sausage gravy covering everything but the white gravy laden steak.

What a meal.....and I've got this Killdozer song going through my head now..."A man's got to be a MAN to be a man, a man's got to be a MAN to be a man...."

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Quiche. :laugh:

I once made a "real men don't eat quiche" joke to a cooking school classmate, who totally did not get the reference and was completely offended. (This was only about a year or two after the book came out.) Before being tagged as one of those feminist womyn who hate men, I had to explain the joke.

Guy food? Doesn't really exist in our house. Mr. Duck and I both love just about everything. Strangely though, he'd be more inclined to reach for the chocolate than I woud. :blink:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Well, Fresser got me all the mood for penne alla gorgonzola after what he wrote last night.

Lest my voice deepen even more, I drank a Friulian white and dressed my arugula salad lightly.

The blue cheese did have an effect, though. If clipping quotations were comparable to picking up one's clothes from the floor and putting them in the hamper, I can't be bothered.

So, let me say thank you Miz Ducky for the hysterical [sic] link to the Alton Brown episode.

And Fabulous, I dare you to rise to the occasion!*

*Reminder: To stay on topic, you'll have to link attire to culinary theme.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I propose that FabulousFoodBabe and I dress up as a butler and French Maid, respectively, to serve burgers, chicken wings, bleu cheese and other Man Food to the assembled Ladies of eGullet.

I'll even help you with your cummerbund, Fabby.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

The guy in my life likes:

cheeseburgers

onion rings

chicken tika masala

chocolate milk

breakfast sausages

rice/tapioca pudding

coconut cake

I like:

medium rare steak

sauteed onions

beef sashimi and all things japanese

wheat thins crackers

:rolleyes::wub:

*edited for spelling.

Edited by Radio7 (log)
the tall drink of water...

Large medium rare burger or steak with bleu cheese or stilton, garlic fries, brussels sprouts browned in bacon fat. Red wine or IPA depending on mood or locale.

Skip dessert... go straight to the port and cigars.

** sleep **

Biscuits and gravy and/or real corned beef hash and eggs. Peets coffee or Bloody Mary depending on mood or locale.

** rinse. repeat. **

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

I love all the manly food mentioned here...I eat my meat pretty much straight off the cow. Medium-rare is too cooked for me. :raz: Pig's feet--delicious! I love the gelatinous skin/fat. Stilton is my favourite cheese. Onion rings--oh yeaaaaaaah. Ditto biscuits and gravy.

The only things I would pass on are the beer and the smokes.

I propose that FabulousFoodBabe and I dress up as a butler and French Maid, respectively, to serve burgers, chicken wings, bleu cheese and other Man Food to the assembled Ladies of eGullet.

Deal! And I'll make sure your seams are straight as you serve. :laugh:

Butlers are also a guy thing, food wise, I think. I know guys make a fuss about Hooters waitresses and French Maids but what they really crave are butlers. Heh.

Pontormo, I like a food dare as much as the next babe. Winky.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

well, i guess my hormomes are readjusting as i progress through to the end of menopause...

the meat, cheese and onion rings sound wonderful and succulent. grill me somethin', mister!!

johnnybird prefers pasta, chicken, shrimp, chocolates and cosmos

me, i want the bourbon and branch..

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Deal! And I'll make sure your seams are straight as you serve. :laugh:

Butlers are also a guy thing, food wise, I think. I know guys make a fuss about Hooters waitresses and French Maids but what they really crave are butlers. Heh.

Pontormo, I like a food dare as much as the next babe. Winky.

where and when? i'm in

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My husband said "cheeseburger!!" before I even finished the question.

Heh, mine said "pork rinds!" As far as I know, he's never actually HAD pork rinds (or maybe this is a secret male ritual?)

He takes (mostly male) clients out to dinner often for his job, and says that based on where they go, steak is the word. EVERY time, they want to go to a steakhouse. He's actually pretty sick of steak. Perhaps that explains the pork rinds answer.... :laugh:

Edited by stringcheese (log)

According to Dan:

any large hunk of meat, preferably cooked with FIRE

hot dogs

pizza

barbecue

beer

Hoagies

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Funny. When I recall all my friends and lovers... and father... well, I guess they're not all that manly! The only common thread I can find is lamb chops.

Eggs in a hat.

Salitmbocca

Pizza

Yes, Quiche

Bacon and eggs

Tandoori Chicken

Smoked meat sandwiches

Tempura anything

BBQ shrimp

Asparagus

Steak and Kidney Pie

Raw oysters