• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guy Food

Pontormo

Now THAT is hilarious, Dana!

You might want to tell your Manly Men that unprocessed, natural foods such as grains and vegetables are closer to what the pioneers ate than nachos and whatnot.  This could encourage healthy eating habits in them--just live off the land, Man! 

As far as the bodily noises which Manly Men (including me) all love, whole grains and vegetables tend to produce them in abundance.  I've detailed my own gastrointestinal rumblings on this thread.

Actually, they do eat healthy foods most of the time. Manly Man Nights are a treat. In fact, the same son who went though the "all white food" phase, came home after his first lunch in the cafeteria in high school and told me I was going to have to make their lunches because "they have nothing but fried junk at school".

And the bodily noises? you're right, they love them no matter the source. :blink:

Dana

I just noticed the following review on Amazon.com for Charcuterie... by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn:

" A Cookbook for Men, January 29, 2006

Reviewer: Midwest Carnivore (Wausau,WI USA) - See all my reviews

Thus far I've shown this amazing book about tasty, and time tested, food preservation techniques to at least a dozen men and women. While some of the women expressed a little interest, all of the men have either ordered the book or have it on their wish list(while they continue to borrow mine). This is a bible for creating your own sausages, jerky, bacon, confits(until reading this book I had no idea that there was such a thing as a confit!),etc. If you enjoy this type of cuisine, you won't go wrong by adding this one to your cookbook library. "

(119 words, full citation.)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

"rum & diet coke"?

the office of man cards has recently issued a ruling stating that any male drinking said concoction is deemed unfit to carry the man card, and should return his asap.

:)

seriously though, can anything diet or "healthy" be considered manly for the purposes o this thread? a greasy burger from dyer's in memphis is manly, a laura's lean beef burger is most certainly not!

"rum & diet coke"?

the office of man cards has recently issued a ruling stating that any male drinking said concoction is deemed unfit to carry the man card, and should return his asap.

:)

seriously though, can anything diet or "healthy" be considered manly for the purposes o this thread? a greasy burger from dyer's in memphis is manly, a laura's lean beef burger is most certainly not!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I'll let you tell him it's not manly. All 6'2 250 lbs of him! We just don't drink like regular coke - too sweet.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... so here are a few thousand words on my idea of man food:

gallery_8505_1301_18500.jpg

gallery_8505_1301_37202.jpg

Thats a beautiful group of photos.. Did you get the t-bones at a local place?

Here is what I have to add.. Its a 2 pound smoked beef rib..

gallery_15057_2564_57401.jpg

Oppenheimer Prime Meats on Broadway and 98th. Great full service butcher. When you say you want porterhouse steaks, they bring out a whole prime short loin and you talk about how you want to cut them. These were each over three inches thick.

--

Oppenheimer Prime Meats on Broadway and 98th.  Great full service butcher.  When you say you want porterhouse steaks, they bring out a whole prime short loin and you talk about how you want to cut them.  These were each over three inches thick.

Salivating Caveman here...

How did you broil those monsters?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

How did you broil those monsters?

I didn't. I pan-fried them to get the crust, then finished them in the oven. They are so thick that I just stood them up on the end bones in the pan and roasted them to temperature. There was no need to flip them.

--

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... so here are a few thousand words on my idea of man food:

gallery_8505_1301_18500.jpg

gallery_8505_1301_37202.jpg

Here is what I have to add.. Its a 2 pound smoked beef rib..

gallery_15057_2564_57401.jpg

If that's guy food, color me a Y chromosone.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Not to get all 1980s-academic here, but since patriorachy is the normative, hegemonic culture, it's only natural that women would crave what men want :wink:.

Ut oh.

Gee.

I WAS trying to be provocative, but not harsh or unfriendly.*

One thing that I DO notice here is that so many of the "guy" foods that men itemize are things that female eGullet members love to eat, too....me included, although I have a limited tolerance of offal and other innards.

*I have to say, though, even though I used a mocking tone for the post above, I do think there is some truth to what I wrote.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Has anybody noticed that men seem to have a penchant for food that can be eaten while held in their hands, while "women's food", although often served in smaller portions to begin with, is generally cut and eaten with proper utensils?

SB :huh:

Maybe I missed these already mentioned but:

Pigs cooked whole on a spit or in the ground all night while drinking moonshine.

Bugs (I just had some Cricket tacos and relished the squirming of my dining companion)

Fried pork roll sandwhiches

Brisket

Tacos Al Pastor (with spicey rat tail salsa running down your arm and dripping off your elbow)

Runny OE eggs with Boars Head bacon and hash browns

BLOWFISH (cause it can kill you)

Uni

Bone marrow with oxtail marnalade

Eye, brain and toung tacos (Makes you muy macho)With hablinaro salsa.

All of these thing must be paired with copious amounts of what ever liquor should go with them.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Has anybody noticed that men seem to have a penchant for food that can be eaten while held in their hands, while "women's food", although often served in smaller portions to begin with, is generally cut and eaten with proper utensils?

SB  :huh:

I hold my watercress sandwiches with ALL my fingers.

As far as I know, no one has designed a fork for dividing and picking up squares of bittersweet chocolate.

As for S L Kinsey's gorgeous steaks, note the use of the knife to cut through all three inches of the beef. The cook clearly served as a model of decorum, even if one of the pleasures of the meal was to pick up the T-bones and gnaw.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

All of which has got me thinking about really manly food. What defines properly butch nosh?

First rule is that it shouldn’t be a meal. That whole sitting down and eating thing implies we have time to spare between slaughtering animals, building skyscrapers, wrestling bears and all the other cool stuff we do every day. Really manly food is some form of grabbed snack.

This is our Tim Hayward's's opinion, and here's one man who doesn't think grilling is manly.

Link to "Barbies for Boys." Oh, I laughed!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hey Sam, since Bergerka is out of town, was that portion for one???

But really, we are talking about cravings here aren't we? When you are having a sh*ty day and the world is against you, what do you crave?

My hubby will always ask for red licorice and pinwheels. Every time. Sometimes if he thinks he can get away with it, he'll ask me to make marshmallows for him. And yes, this is consumed with rum and diet coke :biggrin:

[...]But really, we are talking about cravings here aren't we?  When you are having a sh*ty day and the world is against you, what do you crave?[...]

Chocolate or/and dulce de leche ice cream, sometimes cheese danishes or poppy or nut strudel. Truth be told, Orange Milanos or Bahlsen's Afrika cookies. Malaysian food (curry beef stew noodles, roti canai, asam laksa, bubur cha cha, etc.). Alright, perhaps a Katz's pastrami sandwich. Do I have to turn in my male ID card at the door? :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

My Italian man froom South Jersey has a penchant for pepperoni ...

he recently returned from somewhere where he was not fed properly and upon his return his requested menu was;

Pepperoni Cheesesteak

Pepperoni pizza

Wings (extra hot with blue cheese)

Wheat thins with cheddar cheese and pepperoni

Pepperoni bread (not what I though it was, I though it was like Lard bread which NYer's should know about a rich heavy pepper-y bread with chcunks of porscuitto added in ..I used to get it in Little Italy..his pepperoni bread is like sliced pepperoni layeredin to pillsbury bread dough...sigh so not my kind of thing)

and of course beer, though beer is now out of the picture

so much for the tuna tartare followed by goat cheese crusted lamb chops that I had planned on.

To be fair he also likes salad...with pepperoni preferably

And has recently become attached to buttered toasted bagels with melted cheddar cheese (probably would like them even better with pepperoni)

Also he's quite fond of pork roll ( a Jersey thing his Mom says, I am sceptical having never had it and not so fond of "roll" such as chicken roll and turkey roll which I had to eat as a kid) and melted cheddar on an English muffin (would not be surprised if he added pepperoni to this as well)

Basically I think as long as we stay in the highly spiced smoky meat arena he's happy or if his Momma makes it.

oh and peanut butter ice cream not chocolate ice cream with peanut butter, peanut butter ice cream

-..and of course anything I cook : )

However my "I'm eating like a man meal" is straight from Smith and Wollensky.. an ice cold dry Stoli martini with a twist, iceberg wedge with blue cheese, porterhouse a teeny bit past rare, creamed spinach and onion rings and a fab dark rich red, and then cheesecake with raspberries this is what my father and brother used to go out to dinner for back when we were eating without censor.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Also he's quite fond of pork roll ( a Jersey thing his Mom says, I am sceptical having never had it and not so fond of "roll" such as chicken roll and turkey roll which I had to eat as a kid) and melted cheddar on an English muffin (would not be surprised if he added pepperoni to this as well)

Ah, pork roll (aka, Taylor Ham), one of my favorites. One of the foods I miss most now that I live in Chicago. Especially on a roll with fried egg and cheese. Although on an English muffin with melted cheddar works too.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I'm Maltese - what you're talking about is called Timpana, which is a pasta pie (Atkins diet, my foot!) To be honest I'm not aware of Calves Brains being used as an ingredient, the normal stuff is basically pasta mixed with bolognaise, eggs, parmesan and encased in pastry.

It's man food alright - it settles in your stomach like a stone, AND it is at its best ordered from scruffy workmen's pubs!

Had a pasta dish in Malta a while back, 'timpani' I think.

Delicious......until I discovered the meat was calves brains.

Got over it and had more.

Nice texture, I recall.