• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guy Food

Pontormo

The women of eGullet have their own special thread where they yearn for chocolate and Carbonara.

From time to time Fresser in a Dress shows up along with other amusing, curious men.

However, it's really for women. It's about their desires.

What about yours, though?

As Anna Freud famously asked, "What DO men want?"

Not just pizza and beer, surely. There's lots of evidence here that says otherwise.

However, it would be interesting to explore what members of the other gender think of as distinctly masculine when it comes to their gastronomic appetites.

When do such cravings hit you?

What separates boys from men?

Girlz Allowed. Okay?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Well, anytime I do a guys night, dinner is always meat in some way shape or form. Steakhouse, Brazilian, Argentinian, whatever. One of my favorites was the "5 Courses of Beef" dinner at a local Vietnamese place.

The annual excursion to Rib Fest (street festival in Chicago where 8-10 places sell ribs and have a cook-off) is always good times too. Especially the year when they were giving away free samples of sausage. Nothing like free sausage to wash down some ribs.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Meat, preferably beef, Hold the vegetables

Its not a meal without primal protein.

Also

BBQ

Bacon

Vindaloo (after the lager)

chip butties

Suet dumplings and puddings (with custard)

Offal - kidneys, liver (with bacon)

Bangers and Mash

Full English Breakfast

I'm not sure what constitutes "guy food" but I have met a lot of guys that HATE mushrooms (how can this even be possible?) and other foods that seem relatively unpopular with the guys but very popular with us girls are cheesecake, and avocado. Girls seem to enjoy dairy foods in general more than the guys, but this is just from my observation.

If I "break" a piece of cheesecake at work, the girls swarm around in a feeding frenzy, and the guys usually take a pass.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Meat, preferably beef, Hold the vegetables

Its not a meal without primal protein.

Also

BBQ

Bacon

Vindaloo (after the lager)

chip butties

Suet dumplings and puddings (with custard)

Offal - kidneys, liver (with bacon)

Bangers and Mash

Full English Breakfast

Ok, I'm with you on all of it. Manly, indeed.

But this "chip buttie" thing? What is a chip buttie and what makes it such a manly snack?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I can't find the original post, but I think it was jackal10 who corrected me when I referred to these British sandwiches of potatoes deep-fried in lard as chip buddies. Name refers to slathering of butter between bread and chip.

Yes, I like those, too, but didn't appreciate my stepfather's lack of discrimination when it came to the bread. For SOME men, it seems, Wonder Bread is fine when meat stars: BBQ, Louie's hamburgers (with Velveeta, I seem to recall) or bacon.

Now, as for pig's feet, I know there are definitely women who love'em.

However, sometimes in addition to an exuberant response to steak and Barolo, I discern a competitive gross-out factor at play.

No?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Puddin' Buns and I used to flee high school during free periods in search of the perfect, garlicky pickle.

Other times we'd congregate over a pile of fried livers from Harold's Chicken Shack. Organ meats seem particularly manly.

So does bleu cheese. Really rank, fungal-smelling, ripe bleu cheese. In general, any food whose consumption causes hair to sprout on one's chest is manly.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Lamb stew with mashed potatoes.

Edited to add BEER.

I love BEER and BEER loves ME

Edited by Taubear (log)

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

NY strip steak (medium rare), prime rib, hamburger (1/2 lb. minimum) with bleu cheese, chicken-fried steak with pan gravy ...

Onion rings. Not an onion loaf, and not those girly onion strings that was dipped in a light tempura batter & disintegrates when you try to eat them.

Onion RINGS!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Since somebody went first.. :biggrin:

I'm a woman, no sweet tooth to speak of, Give me a huge honking cheeseburger, ribs with slaw and corn bread, bacon and eggs, Slim Jims rule! onion rings you could wear as bracelets and batter fried mushrooms.

and wings. and beer. :wub:

---------------------------------------

Pickled pigs feet.

You forgot the bottle of beer.

(Although I guess Bessie Smith wasn't, strictly speaking, a guy.)

Yeah, but I understand she was pretty butch ... :wink:

Hmmm...I am beginning to think I might actually be a man.  :shock:

Lessee ... meat, meat, and more meat ... including organ meats ... potatoes ... stinky cheese ... onion rings ... heh. To judge by the foods touted here, I may need to have my chromosomes tested too. :laugh:

Edited by mizducky (log)

I really don't tend to think of foods as manly too often, and I do love mushrooms and cheesecake as well as hunks of protein (though more often fish or fowl than red meat). I don't think that makes me a hermaphrodite. :laugh:

But some of the things I like that perhaps more women than men find disgusting would include chicken feet and many kinds of offal. Does that make them "manly"? For the gross-out factor? That's not why I eat 'em, though. And yes, pig feet are good, especially in Chao Zhou noodle soup.

Michael aka "Pan"