• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dans le Noir

Okay. So we're now meant to be preparing ourselves for the ultimate dining experience transplanted from Paris to Clerkenwell; sitting in the pitch dark while eating. Apparently the dark is meant to heighten our awareness of taste - but this begs the questions: what if the food is crap? Do I really want to taste it? How am I meant to find my plate - let alone the food on it? How do we pour the wine? And finally; should I bring a bib?

I noticed that Toby Young reviewed this place in the Standard magazine on Friday. I didn't read what the ignorant slaphead had to say about it (he makes me puke!) but you've got to figure that if La Maschler passes up the opportunity to have first say on a new restaurant, it can only be because she figures it's beneath her dignity.

I noticed that Toby Young reviewed this place in the Standard magazine on Friday. I didn't read what the ignorant slaphead had to say about it (he makes me puke!) but you've got to figure that if La Maschler passes up the opportunity to have first say on a new restaurant, it can only be because she figures it's beneath her dignity.

It has already received a rare bad review from Square Meal and a stinker of a review from Marina O'Loughlin in the Standard. Oh, and a complete puff piece in the Guardian.

Toby Young's review is now on-line, and fairly bad.

What next? Employing people with parkinsonism to shake cocktails?

It's a gimmick, but worse than that, it's a deeply patronising gimmick which will only serve to highlight the apartheid between able-bodied and disabled diners and worse, restaurant staff.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

If the restaurant in Paris is any indication, it will be bad-and that is me being optimistic. Worst food I have ever had, blindfolded or not. The server was wonderful, however.

At least in Paris, they are more interested in their concept than in their cooking.

but you've got to figure that if La Maschler passes up the opportunity to have first say on a new restaurant, it can only be because she figures it's beneath her dignity.

er, she's away. currently being 'covered' :huh: by victor lewis smith.

but you've got to figure that if La Maschler passes up the opportunity to have first say on a new restaurant, it can only be because she figures it's beneath her dignity.

er, she's away. currently being 'covered' :huh: by victor lewis smith.

God VLS is shite in the standard

He was shite in the guardian and is really shite again in the standard

His writing is so formulaic and dull for "funny" writer

Crap joke at start, shoe horned into linking it to piece, sprinkle in 3 or 4 really laboured similes/metaphors, along with a general feeling of "it'll fucking do" and file.

I swear he was actually good/interesting a long time ago but his restaurant and TV stuff is just dross these days

Edited by Jamsie (log)

being 'covered'  :huh: by victor lewis smith.

Dear God what a repellent image.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

London's way too cynical for something like this.

It'll end up like the Supper Club in Amsterdam - full of large groups of braying salarymen on corporate jollies and ghastly tourists in search of a packaged 'experience'.

My God, a minibus full of adventurous Danish retirees next to a table full of coked-up ad-agency vampires on a 'bonding' evening... in pitch blackness... with alcohol... surrounded by blind people, glass and hot food.

You don't need a bib, you need a sack of starved rats and a midget with a nightsight and a Taser......

Edited by Tim Hayward (log)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

• 3 weeks later...
Okay. So we're now meant to be preparing ourselves for the ultimate dining experience transplanted from Paris to Clerkenwell; sitting in the pitch dark while eating. Apparently the dark is meant to heighten our awareness of taste - but this begs the questions: what if the food is crap? Do I really want to taste it? How am I meant to find my plate - let alone the food on it? How do we pour the wine? And finally; should I bring a bib?

I've found them a chef...

clickety

That's a restaurant review, albeit the first instalment? If it's the first of a two-parter, I'm bored shitless already.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Ronson's weekly column in the Guardian's Weekend magazine,is the first thing I turn to; I think he's hilarious...

Me too. He's about the only reason I buy the paper (apart from the TV guide).
That's a restaurant review, albeit the first instalment?

BTW, CB: Andy's link is to last week's episode, the first in what will be at least three parts. In today's, Jon distracts Elaine from rickshaws by making an interesting observation about discarded Lucozade bottles and hails a taxi to the restaurant, where you order your food in a well-lit bar before going to dine in pitch darkness. But, after twenty minutes they have yet to be presented with menus...

Ah, so I see.

Nope, still resolutely bored shitless. Ronson has his moments, I'll grant you that. This isn't one of them.

Allan Brown