• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eats in Southeastern New Mexico, Cloudcroft

Any suggestions for food in this tucked away area?

We'll only be in the area for a few days, but I'm interested in any high or low suggestions for eateries and watering holes... Mexican, New Mexican, BBQ, and anything else that is good around there. I'm getting the impression that it may not be a particular mecca for food but any suggestions for honest fare is appreciated. :smile:

Next time I'll have to head south and east to visit egulleteer gfron1's shop in Silver City... :smile:

A few places I've read about that sound like possibilities:

In Ruidoso:

Casa de Sueños New Mexican Restaurant

Ahna-Michelle's Restaurant

Café Rio (Italian)

Texas Club Grill & Bar

The Village Buttery

In Cloudcroft:

Western Bar & Café

Rebecca's (at the Lodge)

Texas Pit Barbeque

In Alamogrodo

Caliche's Frozen Custard

Margo's Mexican Food

Lincoln Area

Chango (in Capitan)

Comments? Other suggestions?

I'll report back on anything interesting we find...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

There is a nice little coffee shop on the main drag in Carrizozo; the proprietor is a former Cheesehead and seems to love the southwest.

Other than that, I'd check out Scott Sharot's book, "New Mexico Chow" for recommendations for several of the cities you've mentioned. Or, perhaps he will chime in here himself....

:smile:

Andrea

http://foodpart.com

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

:rolleyes: Wow, I got a mention!

Silver City is no food mecca (yet) but its coming. So, when you do have time to check us out I'd love to tell you all the great food spots. We have, what I think, is the best carneceria (butcher) anywhere that I've seen in a decade or more. We also have one of the best organic restaurants I've ever been to about an hour north of us in a town called Reserve. But, here in town, we have some great eats (Southwest/French/American fusion, Meditteranean, Hunter Haven) and more coming (Carribbean inspired, French Pastry, Panini Grill). May not seem impressive to big city folk, but for a town of 10K, 2 hours from anything, we're doing pretty good!

Have a great trip.

Rob

Thanks misstenacity and gefron...

We didn't get a chance to stop in Carrizozo so I'll have to check it out next time. We did pick up some Carrizozo Cherry Cider which I had for the first time and enjoyed a lot.

On our way to White Sands we tried out Margo's Mexican in Alamogordo. I didn't have great expectations but I was disappointed that that the red and green chile sauces were extremely mild and without much flavor. This is not usually an issue that arises much in New Mexico. The food was priced well and was good fuel for our incredible hike in White Sands but I don't think I'd return.

Our pleasant dining surprise of the trip was our dinner at Rebecca's which is the restaurant for The Lodge at Cloudcroft. link

The hotel is in a very isolated location and the menu is somewhat old-fashioned so beforehand I had some trepidation that the execution might be somewhat tired, but we went with what we thought they would do well and were amply rewarded. We thought the meal and service were excellent and look forward to returning there. (The old hotel from 1910 is lovely as well.)

After a sipping a Manhattan in the old bar area, we started our meal with a tableside Caesar salad for two. It was the first time I've ever ordered one this way and it was absolutely great. The waitress acknowledged our comment regarding our penchant for strong flavors and made an excellent salad. The pieces of lettuce and croutons were the perfect size--largish but not too large and the greens were absolutely fresh. Next we decided to go with steaks and they were wonderful as well--a New York strip with roasted shallots and a Filet served with a red chile-goat cheese. Both steaks were served with asparagus and with pommes puree (mashed potatoes with lots of cream and butter and a silky texture). The steaks rate right up there with some of the tastiest I've ever had.

We felt slightly silly (in a good way!) ordering a second tableside preparation but we could not resist when we witnessed the Bananas Foster being flamed at the next table! I've had the dish at Brennan's and these were at least the equal if not superior to those. Copious amounts of butter were employed, along with brown sugar, rum, banana liqueur, cinnamon and of course, bananas. These were spooned over very good vanilla ice cream that was cold enough to not immediately melt--a very big plus in my book. The caramel sauce was the perfect consistency--runny and warm in some parts and slightly chewy but tender where it had cooled off next to the ice cream. Good coffee ended the meal. We had a nice Qupe Syrah with the steaks.

Besides going back there just for the Bananas Foster, I"ll probably be risking damage to the microwave over the stove in trying to recreate the dish at home. The waitstaff was excellent in all ways and the dining room is very attractive. We sat in the area with windows and beautiful views for breakfast but sat in the main, dark wood-paneled dining room for dinner. On the basis of this dinner, I'd be willing to try out other items on their menu but don't know if I'd be able to pass up on reordering the same dinner we had!

The only other food adventure of note to report in the area was a stop at the The Owl in San Antonio (NM) on the way home. It was fun to eat in this storied place. We were thinking this is probably the only restaurant in the world made famous by scientist clientele--those who travelled down from Los Alamos to the area for the nuclear detonations at Trinity Site. The burgers are not huge but they are very tasty. They are made with freshly ground beef and topped with cheese and excellent green chile with a good flavor and bite. I liked the ratio of beef to bun and if I had been a little more hungary I would have eaten two. I'd read before that some consider that this place had gone downhill some over the years, but we enjoyed our burgers and fries very much.

I'm still interested to hear of anyone's recs as I hope to go back to this area in addition to venturing over to the Gila and Silver City another time.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Thanks, gfron1.

I forgot another little food experience worth passing along--

Caliche's Frozen Custard in Alamogordo

It's on the main drag and has really nice frozen custard--the texture is between soft-serve and regular ice cream. They have a large selection of sauces and items to blend in. I had vanilla with butterscotch sauce... yum. I think they also serve hot dog's and burgers but we were blinded by the custard (and had just eaten lunch elsewhere).

• 2 months later...

The only other food adventure of note to report in the area was a stop at the The Owl in San Antonio (NM) on the way home.  It was fun to eat in this storied place. We were thinking this is probably the only restaurant in the world made famous by scientist clientele--those who travelled down from Los Alamos to the area for the nuclear detonations at Trinity Site.  The burgers are not huge but they are very tasty.  They are made with freshly ground beef and topped with cheese and excellent green chile with a good flavor and bite.  I liked the ratio of beef to bun and if I had been a little more hungary I would have eaten two.  I'd read before that some consider that this place had gone downhill some over the years, but we enjoyed our burgers and fries very much.

Besides geeky scientists, you'll find plenty of geeky birdwatchers at The Owl. It isn't far from Bosque del Apache, a wildlife refuge famous for huge flocks of wintering Sandhill Cranes. We ate at the bar and had the famous chile cheese burgers. Good stuff!

KathyM

• 1 year later...
:rolleyes:  Wow, I got a mention!

Silver City is no food mecca (yet) but its coming.  So, when you do have time to check us out I'd love to tell you all the great food spots.  We have, what I think, is the best carneceria (butcher) anywhere that I've seen in a decade or more.  We also have one of the best organic restaurants I've ever been to about an hour north of us in a town called Reserve.  But, here in town, we have some great eats (Southwest/French/American fusion, Meditteranean, Hunter Haven) and more coming (Carribbean inspired, French Pastry, Panini Grill).  May not seem impressive to big city folk, but for a town of 10K, 2 hours from anything, we're doing pretty good! 

Have a great trip.

Rob

Woohoo - I'm going back to Silver City for the first time in years! Rob, relleno burritos, and a.i.r. coffee, here I come!

:biggrin:

Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!