• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bay Ave Trattoria

lamb

I tried to go two weeks ago on a Saturday night and was told there was a 2.5 hour wait for a table. Ended up at Chilangos down the street. Tried again Last Thursday figuring it would not be so crowded on a weeknight, and was confronteed by a sign on the front door "Closed due to a death in the Family." I hope to get there in the next week or so and try their braised shortribs, but am concerned it may be hit by a meteor or something... :rolleyes:

Bay Ave. Trattoria Website

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I tried to go two weeks ago on a Saturday night and was told there was a 2.5 hour wait for a table.  Ended up at Chilangos down the street.  Tried again Last Thursday figuring it would not be so crowded on a weeknight, and was confronteed by a sign on the front door "Closed due to a death in the Family."  I hope to get there in the next week or so and try their braised shortribs, but am concerned it may be hit by a meteor or something...  :rolleyes:

Bay Ave. Trattoria Website

Mark, I can see from the website (that we both posted) that reservations are suggested. Did you try to make them for your Saturday visit and not being able to get them, tried a walk-in?

I know at the old J&M in Long Branch, you would have to call 2 weeks in advance for a Saturday night reservation. In even smaller digs, I would imagine it's even further in advance now.

BTW, do you happen to know why they left the Long Branch location and opened a bistro in the Highlands?

Did not try to get reservations, bu7t I was there before 6pm and this is usually early enough to avoid the rush. Don't know why they moved, but when I go I'll ask...

=Mark

Well, I made it there last night and was not disappointed. Evidently after almost 15 years of running Joe & Maggies in Long Branch they wanted to slow down and "Retire" so to speak. Whereas J&Ms had a staff of 30 employees and a full bar, the Bay Ave. Trattoria only employs 4 people and is BYO.

The atmosphere is very casual, including paper place settings and napkins, and a deli take out counter and pizza oven in the back with a soft drink cooler on one side. This casual atmosphere does not reflect the cooking at all! It is hearty, well executed country Italian that has been well thought out and carries through to presentation.

I started with a cream of wild mushroom soup that was thick and had both pureed dry mushrooms and whole bits of fresh mushrooms. It was topped with a swirl of rosemary cream. My appetizer was Grilled Eggplant Portofoglio with, ricotta, mascarpone, spinach & mozzarella tomato basil coulis served heated and with the cheese melted.

My entree was Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, balsamic onions agrodolce, garlic smashed potatoes. The ribs were boned and had been braised for hours with an Italian sweet and sour medley of onions and mushrooms. They literally did not need a knife! One caveat was the side of julienned squash and haricot verte. They seemed somewhat of a throwback to the 90s where chefs seemed to feel the more al dente the better, and were served warm but still crunchy. I don't mind crunchy veggies in a salad, but as I side to an entree I'd prefer if they had seen a little more cooking time. This is a minor quibble, however.

By the time I left at 7:30 the small dining room was full, and was told that the previous night (Tuesday) had a wait for tables. I can see why reservations are suggested if the place draws that much of a crowd at the beginning of the week. Of course with seating for about 50 people filling the place up is not a stretch.

The lunch menu seems a little more conventional with sandwiches, salads and Paninis. Also they have selections of both hot & cold subs.

The decor is an interesting mix of warm pastels and various posters and framed pictures on one side with large plate glass windows in the front. This contrasts with the deli counter, soft drink cooler and pizza oven in the back. This in no way detracts from the cooking, and the years of experience that Joe & Maggie have gained shines through brightly.

=Mark

• 11 months later...

I went last night with 3 other guests. The food was very good. Most appetizers were $10-11 and entrees were $19-$24. I had the crabcake appetizer which was very sweet, in a good, natural way, and had no filler. For a main I had pasta with broccoli rabe, sausage and sundried tomatos. It was good, but maybe a bit too mellow. Would have liked a touch more garlic and broccoli rabe, but it didn't skimp on the sausage. I also had a small taste of the scallop with bacon entree which had a nice smoky flavor and was not overwhelmed by the bacon, as well as some nice fresh squid from the frutti di mare, which was a light seafood salad, rather than a fried dish. The fried oysters appetizer looked good. A special of fluke with crab meat was raved about and another diner liked the tilapia with crab meat. We had no desserts.

I think there could be a few changes in the way the front of the house works. First off, it still looks like a pizza parlor. I understand it is supposed tto be a simple restaurant, but they could put a few thousand into decor to at least make it look charming. Secondly, I hate they they use plastic glasses for water, soda and the like. I'd rather they add one dollar onto the entree prices and have real glasses. I also thought the bread could be of better quality, given that so many dishes called for dipping. It was mediocre supermarket quality Italian bread. Also our waitress was rather old, slightly grumpy and somewhat inattentive, i.e. never refilled water or bread. Sort of charming for a diner and a lobster shack, but not so good where bills are $45 a head just for food. The other waitresses seemed to be a bit better though. I do however love the BYO and ultimately think it's a nice place.