• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone tried Prichard's?

JPH712

Has anyone out there tasted Prichard's Rum?

Its made in Kelso, Tennessee of all places, which is only about 45 minutes from here, but as yet I do not know of anyone who has tried it.

Opinions?

Hi - I'm Joy the webmaster for the Ministry of Rum site. Actually Ed gave me information for Prichard's as the new rum of the month (about 2 months ago and I haven't uploaded it yet) but I will have it on the home page shortly.

Keep posted ...

Joy Lewis. . . Web Master - Emeritas and Friend to the Ministry of Rum Website

here is the copy I will be uploading on website re: Prichard's.

Prichard's Fine Rum

One of the few rums distilled in the US, Prichards Fine Rum comes from the only legal rum distillery in Tennessee.

Distilled from Grade A fancy (food grade) molasses. Prichard's is distilled in copper pot stills and then aged in new, 18 gallon,

charred white oak barrels. And in the tradition of great spirits, Prichard's ages and then bottles their rum at cask strength, without

diluting the rum which also dilutes the rich flavor and color of the spirit.

The deep amber color is inviting and is the prelude to a very drinkable spirit. I discovered a subtle tropical floral nose followed by

balanced notes of cider, vanilla and roasted hazelnut. The silky finish is evidence of a mature spirit bottled at 80 proof, 40%

alcohol by volume.

http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/

For information on where you can buy Prichard's Fine Rum please contact:

Phil Prichard

Prichard's Distillery

PO Box 100

Kelso, Tennessee 37348

800 414 2352

prichard@vallnet.com

Joy Lewis. . . Web Master - Emeritas and Friend to the Ministry of Rum Website

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it back to the northern 48 and can honestly say that I liked Prichard's Fine Rum. When you consider where it's made you'll have to appreciate that it could be confused with a fine whiskey at first taste due to the freshly toasted oak barrels, almost all Caribbean rum is aged in once used barrels from the states or Europe.

The flavor is refreshing and although this rum isn't aged a decade it also isn't diluted prior to bottling as it's aged at nearly the 40% alcohol at which it is aged.

Cheers, certainly a bottle to add to the rum locker.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 years later...
I finally made it back to the northern 48 and can honestly say that I liked Prichard's Fine Rum. When you consider where it's made you'll have to appreciate that it could be confused with a fine whiskey at first taste due to the freshly toasted oak barrels, almost all Caribbean rum is aged in once used barrels from the states or Europe.

The flavor is refreshing and although this rum isn't aged a decade it also isn't diluted prior to bottling as it's aged at nearly the 40% alcohol at which it is aged.

Cheers, certainly a bottle to add to the rum locker.

Had a talk with the distiller and not only is it bottled at barrel proof, but it's not distilled to a high proof and then watered down to barrel proof either. :)

"The rum goes in the barrel about 85 proof. If we need to proof up, we

add a little 160 proof from an aged barrel and if we need to proof down,

we add a little 60 proof of aged rum."

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Celebration Distillation, which makes New Orleans Rum.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=31883

And Charbay also makes rum in a very limited amount.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

I finally got my first bottle of Pritchards last week, at Martin Wine Cellar in New Orleans. If you can find this rum, I highly reccomend you pick up a bottle as well.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Did you try the aged rum or the white rum? I was very impressed with the Pritchard's white rum, not to say that the aged rum isn't good as well.

I bought the aged. They didn't have the white.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone had Prichard's Cranberry Rum, Sweet Georgia Belle, or Sweet Lucy?

The NH state liquor stores don't appear to carry Prichard's products, so before I move there I'm going to buy a bottle of the spiced rum (my rum of choice); I'm wondering if any of the other products are things I'll shoot myself in the foot for not buying while I have the chance. (I could get them mail order later, but I don't ever seem to get around to doing that...)

Prichard's Cranberry Rum and Sweet Georgia Belle were in the International Sugar Cane Spirits Competition in Ybor City a couple of weeks ago. Sweet Lucy is a bourbon-based spirit that wasn't in the competition but it is popular in Tennessee.

Prichard's Distillery also makes a great White Rum that took a gold medal in that competition.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 4 years later...