• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ku Chay Ah

Another childhood food of mine is Ku Chay Ah (Min-nan/Tai-gi not sure which uses it, they almost sound alike anyway on both dialect). its a fried pastry with meat filling which contains pork, tofu and ku chay (jiu cai) in a semi thick gravy of sort. I cant remember how it taste like anymore since its been forever since I had them. oh and the pastry is like the teo chew mooncake. its layers and layers it looks really pretty...hehe when fried the layers just open up more and gets more distinct and fried till golden brown. anybody know them by another name? or has the recipe?

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Hmmm -- pork/tofu/jiu cai. There is a restaurant, here in NJ, (China 46) that has a dish called Special House Saute. It is a mix of very small glazed diced pork/tofu/jiu cai which is stuffed into a flaky baked sesame bun. I love it!

Qing is a gulleteer here, and he used to work there. If he sees this thread maybe he can add to this.

Qing?

jo-mel that sounds like it. wow you're lucky you have it there in NJ.

Hmmm -- pork/tofu/jiu cai. There is a restaurant, here in NJ, (China 46) that has a dish called Special House Saute. It is a mix of very small glazed diced pork/tofu/jiu cai which is stuffed into a flaky baked sesame bun.  I love it!

Qing is a gulleteer here, and he used to work there. If he sees this thread maybe he can add to this.

Qing?

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Another childhood food of mine is Ku Chay Ah (Min-nan/Tai-gi not sure which uses it, they almost sound alike anyway on both dialect). its a fried pastry with meat filling which contains pork, tofu and ku chay (jiu cai) in a semi thick gravy of sort. [...]

I could not figure out what these are. By any chance anyone knows the Chinese characters for these?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Long time no see, I have to focus on school's projects...Ha..

I should ask, if the dish contains Jiu Cai(Chives)?

And how was the skin of the fried pastry?

I guess it seems more like the "Jiu Cai He Zi" at China46 NJ, which always served during their Sunday brunches.

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Long time no see, I have to focus on school's projects...Ha..

I should ask, if the dish contains Jiu Cai(Chives)?

And how was the skin of the fried pastry?

I guess it seems more like the "Jiu Cai He Zi" at China46 NJ, which always served during their Sunday brunches.

yes Qing, it has Jiu Cai in it, and the fried pastry is like the teo chew mooncake, it looks as if its like layers of flattened discs of flaky pastry.