• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Proof on Main

joiei

It is without a doubt the most anticipated restaurant opening in Louisville in some time.  Drew Nieporent's New York City-based Myriad Restaurant Group -- which has garnered acclaim from "Wine Spectator"and the James Beard Foundation -- expects to set the napkins and unlock the door this month on its latest venture, Proof on Main.

from Six New Things

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I think that the people who either live in or merely visit Louisville will be pleased with what Proof on Main has to offer:

Executive chef Michael Paley's passion for small family farms is evident throughout his menu of Tuscan-influenced American cuisine. Dishes such as Bone-in Bison Tenderloin, Heritage Farms Pork Shank, Buckwheat Pappardelle with Braised Rabbit, and Pork Cheek Milanese all reflect his strong belief in working with local products. The menu will also offer a Cured Meat section featuring Newsom's country ham, duck prosciutto and coppa, and a Relish section showcasing seasonal vegetable preparations (sweet and sour winter squash, barbecued mushrooms and roasted beets).
source

Any Louisville members want to offer their opinions? Or is it far too early to do so? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 weeks later...

Proof got a four-out-of-four stars rating in the Courier Journal (which has just changed restaurant reviewers). I can't believe they didn't even wait until they'd been open a month to review them.

Almost everyone who's been there is raving about the place. I have heard one or two slow-service reports, but I think anyone in the business would agree that the crowds generated by the type of fanfare this place opened with would bog down almost any new dining room.

When I eat there, I'll post here again. I really need to get down there.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

• 1 month later...

Article in today's Wall Street Journal (free registration may be required). Includes some recipes.

It's Kentucky Derby week, by the way. :biggrin:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to bump this thread up to the top for a little while. I'll soon be in Louisville for a week, staying downtown (w/o a car) and working at the Convention Center. The organization for which I'm doing the work will provide dinner at the Center, but I doubt I'll be interested.

After checking out the Louisville-related threads for places within walking distance, and then looking at the related restaurant web sites, I can see no reason to go anywhere other than Proof On Main (except maybe the ballpark, for $1 hot dog and $1 soda night :wub:). I'm thinking of ordering mainly off the bar menu, with perhaps one or two excursions to the dining room.

Has anyone been there recently? Can someone comment on the bar menu? Are there any other downtown places you can wholeheartedly (or even mostly heartedly) recommend?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer