• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Precooked Meals

I've been ordered two weeks of bedrest because my neck isn't healing properly and I'm at risk of permanent nerve damage :shock:

Husband is away for most of this time, so my question is where to send my legions of family and friends :unsure: to pick up really good ready-to-heat meals around here? There's only so much pizza a girl can eat . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Quince!

Unbelievable quality, variety, flavour and value. 604.731.4632 They are located at 1780 West 3rd (former Lesley Stowe). The owner, Andrea Jefferson, was a chef instructor at Dubruelle and it shows. Everything is sous vide and is either fully cooked, seared and seasoned, requiring some cooking to finish, or is marinated but not cooked. They also have baked goods.

I am sure they would willingly create around your preferences and needs.

Chef Metcalf!

I haven't sampled her offerings personally but I recognize several of her clients from testimonials on her website. If she made them happy she must be exceptional. :laugh:

Good luck and let us know what happens to your neck as well as what you end up eating.

Cheers,

Karole

Thanks guys - I had Rangoli and Quince on my list already, hadn't thought about Chef Metcalf. I've heard good things about her too, but from her website it looks like more food than I need - five days x four entrees?? Does she do single meal packages?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I've tried a few of the meals from Savory City and thought they were very good. You can get them in individual servings. I really enjoyed the French Country Chicken and the Belgian Beef & Beer Stew. I see they've changed their menu for spring. Well worth the cost. Hope you are better soon.

604) 875-8484 (604) 875-8404

3925 Fraser St. Vancouver V5V 4E5

You can check out their menu here:

http://www.savourycity.com/index.html

I've tried a few of the meals from Savory City and thought they were very good.  You can get them in individual servings.  I really enjoyed the French Country Chicken and the Belgian Beef & Beer Stew.  I see they've changed their menu for spring.  Well worth the cost.  Hope you are better soon.

604) 875-8484  (604) 875-8404

3925 Fraser St. Vancouver V5V 4E5

You can check out their menu here:

http://www.savourycity.com/index.html

In terms of individual portions plus delivery, this option is looking like a winner. I am happy to pay the $5 delivery fee for a couple of days' worth of good food . . .

But Chef Metcalf also beckons with the delicious items on her website . . . now to PM her and find out what she can do, and find a pickup person if I order. Thanks!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

A sure thing is Urban Fare. They have daily specials ranging from Roast Chicken to Prime Rib. All plates come with veggies and potatoes or rice for around $12.

They also have a pretty extensive selection of items you just need to heat up in their refrigerator case.

Pan-o-Pan is worth a try:  Pan-o-Pan Fine Foods 253 E. Broadway.  Not quite westside but close.

Mmmmm,

"Roasted beet and goat cheese cream with a candied hazelnut on crostini"

"Salmon tartare on daikon radish with creme fraiche and caviar"

"Duck confit with plum compote on crisp"

That sounds like dinner to me!!!

Now to find the number for Dial-A-Bottle to bring me some Stellar's Jay brut :raz:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

What about Dinnerworks on 3rd @ Pine just east of Quince-is it open?

Yes it is, here's a link: Dinnerworks. I haven't heard from anyone who's actually been in to check it out.

Dinnerworks sounds like fun but am I wrong, it seems I'd actually have to do the cooking, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - not 'cause I don't love cooking, but because I'm not supposed to be active at all. I'm not even supposed to type using my left hand right now ...

So in terms of dining-in-herniated-disk-land so far, it's been pretty boring - English muffins with peanut butter and banana, leftover breaded chicken and ratatouille from Mum's weekend dinner party, cheese souffle and salad at Mum's tonight ($18.00 cab ride :shock: ) and today - oh, today - glory me I went outside. To Capers for an Apple/Beet/Carrot juice. Two blocks. I'm exhausted.

Husband is home tomorrow and promises to make, drumroll please, beef tacos. Well, at least it's something involving cheese. And considering his cooking skills, this is a major exercise, so :wub: to him. But then I am going to order dinners from Savoury City, and also have husband drive me to Pan-O-Pan for those ready to make hors d'oeuvres. Will report back about these meals.

Could we explore GBP delivery service please?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Yes it is, here's a link: Dinnerworks. I haven't heard from anyone who's actually been in to check it out.

Dinnerworks sounds like fun but am I wrong, it seems I'd actually have to do the cooking, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - not 'cause I don't love cooking, but because I'm not supposed to be active at all. I'm not even supposed to type using my left hand right now ...

Dinnerworks has a takeout option as well as the "make your own". Click on "Questions?" and then "Pick up and Delivery".

I'm looking forward to your reports.

Cheers,

Anne

Dinnerworks has a takeout option as well as the "make your own". Click on "Questions?" and then "Pick up and Delivery".

I'm looking forward to your reports.

Oops, sorry - need to look more closely at their website.

Okay, just did - what Dinnerworks offers doesn't seem to help my particular situation . . . . I don't need six-plus entrees and extras prepared for multiple persons - again, seems like Savoury City is perfect for my handicapped situation, needing dinner for one only, maybe two if Husband can't/won't cook-what-I-want-to-eat. And Pan-O-Pan for hors d'oeuvres sounds delightful . . . will keep you posted about what these places offer . . .

But thanks anyways! Anyone wanna pick up some GBP and deliver?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

You might also like to try good2gofoods they have a location on West 4th Avenue between Trafalgar and Stephens.

One note about Quince, as mentioned above, the food is fantastic... though I'm pretty sure it is not all "sous vide". It is packaged via a vacuum pack system but is prepped and cooked in a normal way. I do believe that the packages need to be opened and then the contents cooked or reheated as opposed to popping them directly into a water bath.

Could be wrong though... :unsure:

Note on the method of sous vide cooking

Quince website

Too bad an establishment that I used to work at many moons ago is not still open. They used to cater to folks in the Kits / False Creek / South Granville neighbourhood by delivering gourmet meals. The name: Barrington’s Gourmet To You. :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Re good2gofoods - so weird, my mum just had dinner with owner who was telling her about the new Kits location - their other one is in North Van, I believe. Well, tonight I'm goin' out bigtime- for sushi a block away . . . :raz: not sure how my use of chopsticks will be tho'. Tomorrow Andy's driving me to Pan-O-Pan to shop!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Hey Miz Bunny Lover,

I noticed Stongs has both Rangoli prepared foods and Burgoo stews in their freezer. You can also get U-bake croissants and pain au chocolat from France. Treat yourself! I'm sure they have a cornocupia of frozen delights. Urban F. might carry this stuff, too, I'm not sure.

Get well soon!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

So I ventured out for a chauffeured ride to Pan-O-Pan. Very tidy little shop. Why the name? The gentleman helping me told me that his Italian wife's last name is Pan, and their logo/icon (a creepily innocent goat satyr in a bowtie and tails) is the same that her grandfather used in the bottling business. First impressions: pureed. Pureed everything. Creamed soups, creamed sauces, creamed hors d'oeuvres spreads. Now don't get me wrong, I love creamed soups and sauces. But these people clearly love their food processor. When I read on their website about "Roasted beet and goat cheese cream with a candied hazelnut on crostini" I envisioned it assembled (tho' did wonder how the crostini didn't get soggy), and with something solid involved in the beet/goat cheese reference. Instead one buys the separate crostini package, the bag of hazelnuts, and the roasted-beet-and-goat-cheese cream in a little pastry piping bag. The cream is an alarming shade of Double Bubble pink. I bought it.

Second quirk - there weren't a lot of vegetables in the store. Yes, truffled mashed potatoes, basil aoili, vegetarian lasagna, mango salsa. But for most meals, a one stop shop this is not. At least not according to the Canada Food Guide. And that's okay, we'll just have to supplement with a trip to the vegetable stand for grilled veggies or salad on the side.

I selected:

Asparagus and leek soup (pureed of course)

The abovementioned roasted beet and goat cheese cream

a package of white mini tortilla cups to fill with the pink cream (maybe I'll have a Day-Glo party someday and serve the pink cream in the green tortilla cups also available)

Lemon humus

Braised lamb shank

Duck confit

Wild mushroom marsala chicken

Mashed poatoes with truffle oil

Wild salmon cake

Crab and shrimp cake

Sablefish, leek and pea lasagne

Wild mushroom and ricotta cannelloni

Roasted garlic gnocchi in wild mushroom sauce

Mango salsa for the fishcakes

Roasted garlic in olive oil

I bought one package of each of the above, with the exception of the soup (I bought two portions because I will let my husband have some soup tonight). Each portion is designed really for one person, or two very, very small people with no appetite.

Total: $102.50. Is this expensive? Well, not cheap, but I haven't decided if it's expensive or not yet. I have to eat it first.

Have already dived into the lemon humus with some raincoast crisps. It's . . . humus. Good, fresh humus. Mmmm, chickpea puree on seedcrackers. Chirp.

Will report back after dinner, after I decide which entree to dive into first, and what I'll let my husband eat.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

What on earth am I doing awake at 7:30am? I'm not a morning person, and my doctor-ordered sojourn from the office is the perfect opportunity for much, much, sleeping in. What I am doing is kicking myself for not buying more packages of the duck confit from Pan-O-Pan. You pop it in the oven at 400F for 15-20 minutes, and dear lord, the skin comes out so perfectly cripsy and flavourful I wish I could have a bowl of it with some beer in front of the hockey game. But we didn't have beer, we opened a gorgeous bottle of Rosemount Show Reserve McLaren Vale Langbourne Creek 2000 Shiraz. Yum.

But to start - we finished the rest of the lemon humus with some Raincoast Crisps, and when they ran out, Triscuits :biggrin: The humus was really very good, highly recommended, but at $5 for quite a small container I'm not sure I wouldn't have found Capers' version comparable and less expensive (I think??). I got lazy and decided to save the pink goo (AKA roasted beet and goat cheese cream) and tortilla cups for another night. Then we had the asparagus and leek soup. Heated it up in a pot for a few minutes, added some cracked pepper. Delicious, would definitely buy again. Then we proceeded to the duck confit and braised lamb shank over truffled mashed potatoes. (And no, despite my sanctimonious rambling yesterday about needing vegetables on the side, we never got to the vegetable stand. Hey, the soup was green. :raz: ) As mentioned above, the duck confit was lovely, the skin the highlight. The potatoes were very, very liberally flavoured with white truffle oil, and extra creamy (as mentioned before, this place is really into creamy). Alas, the lamb shank (reheated in its vacuum-sealed package in boiling water for ten minutes), while falling-off-the-bone tender, was in a sauce so overly salted I literally couldn't eat it. Big disappointment.

And while I didn't have to blend a vegetable soup, confit a duck leg, braise a lamb shank, or mash a potato, by the time I realized I had to wait for the soup to thaw enough to get it out of the container and into a pot (its container is non-microwave-safe, as I was graciously told at the store - isn't all plastic these days?), then heated the duck confit in a pan in the oven, microwaved the mashed potatoes, and boiled the lamb shank package, timing it all to be ready at the same time, I almost felt like I was cooking, which I am trying to avoid. May not sound like much work, but considering I can only type with one hand right now, it felt positively ardurous.

Still to sample: the pink cream, the pasta dishes, the chicken marsala and the salmon/crab/shrimp cakes with mango salsa.

I'm going to order from Savoury City next week and see how it compares.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Pan-O-Pan report: Tonight I've been abandoned by my husband - he flew stateside on business and isn't back until next Sunday. So I pulled out one of the Pan-O-Pan dishes from my freezer tonight, as I had planned. I chose the wild mushroom and ricotta cannelloni - heated at 400F for 25 minutes after thawing.

It was okay. I mean, stuffed pasta - premade, frozen, then reheated? How can I comment on the quality of this pasta fairly when I've been spoiled by dining at Cioppino's? The filling of mushroom and ricotta was fine, the tomato sauce flavourful but unremarkable - as a whole the dish was better than many heat-at-home pasta dishes but not awe-inspiring. (Side issue with Pan-O-Pan meals -- it's a total pain to remember to start thawing the individual dishes, like, four hours before mealtime, when I am so not thinking about eating.)

I also found this dish overly salted - however not nearly as bad as the previously described lamb shank.

Have yet to try the pink cream. It scares me when I see it in my fridge. Need moral support, I think.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine