• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bistro shelf -- does anyone know where to get one?

halloweencat

i'm in love with this bistro shelf...but i can't quite wrap my mind around the price. i've tried searching the web for food supply equipment (bistro shelves, pastry shelves), but i've had no luck.

does anyone know where to find this thing, but for a better price?

http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/prdsell.as...lassBistroShelf

thanks very much in advance.

cheers --

I did a lengthy search using all manner of related words and really found nothing I liked as well as the original here .. so I may go ahead and just order one with two shelves .. so many possible uses!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

i'm in love with this bistro shelf...but i can't quite wrap my mind around the price.  i've tried searching the web for food supply equipment (bistro shelves, pastry shelves), but i've had no luck.

does anyone know where to find this thing, but for a better price?

http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/prdsell.as...lassBistroShelf

thanks very much in advance.

cheers --

I found this bistro shelf two years ago, and also really liked it. It seemed very overpriced to me. I searched the web for a while and was also unable to find it anywhere else cheaper. I guess an alternative would be to have the glass shelves cut at a glass cutters, and use plexiglass rods to support the shelves.

yes, i've been waiting for two years for the price to come down, but no luck so far!

i also know two years is a relatively long time for a vendor to offer a product (like this). there's no telling how long the contract with the supplier will last, or for how long the supplier will be making them.

i, too, thought of having a glazier cut the glass. i wouldn't want plexiglass for the supports, so i'm not sure what i'd do for them. i'm still thinking about it. :)

cheers --

The price seems reasonable to me. I paid more for a two-tier server half that size.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I work for a plumbing and heating wholesaler. We have a luxury bath & kitchen showroom. It seems to me there might be something like this available as a freestanding glass shelf for the bathroom. I'll try to remember to check my catalogues on Thursday when I work next. I did search "free standing glass shelf" and got a number of bathroom accessory sites but the shelf units were all too big. It's a long shot but I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The Dallas Market showroom Goetz, Inc. had those at the last show. Market is the end of this month and if their minimum isn't too high I'll order them and put on ebay at wholesale price.

I think I saw a few knock offs as well but don't know where you could find them at retail.

These are the kind I have.

I also have one that is a 5 - tier and holds charger-sized plates. I don't think it is still made.

The rectangular one at the lower left is like the one I ordered from Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma.

I also like this one from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I also have one of these which we use for outside parties - it keeps bugs and kiddies fingers away from irresistable goodies.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

cocoa-lulu, keep us posted! :)

i really like that one from bed, bath and beyond. different look, and i'd use it for different presentations.

what i love about the one from stonewall kitchen is that it's elegant, clean, minimal without being cold or clunky. i look at it and imagine my home turning into a vienna coffeehouse. :)

cheers --

Good lord, I wish I hadn't opened this thread!  Just one more thing I don't really need but really want.  Somebody talk me out of buying this!

Where on earth will you store it? :raz:

When you live in Manhattan, at least, that's the easiest way to talk yourself out of buying something like this.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

cocoa-lulu, keep us posted!  :)

i really like that one from bed, bath and beyond.  different look, and i'd use it for different presentations. 

what i love about the one from stonewall kitchen is that it's elegant, clean, minimal without being cold or clunky.  i look at it and imagine my home turning into a vienna coffeehouse.  :)

cheers --

If that one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond is the same one I saw in the actual store, the risers pivot so you can have the trays angled as well to fit into an odd space. Had my eye on that one myself.

Not helping with the temptation to buy, am I... :rolleyes:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side