• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Sound of One Hand Cooking

Malawry

All of us at the Society are so pleased that Rochelle has had a healthy baby, and no longer has her cast. Knowing how much I appreciated well-wishes when I had my babies, please PM her with the congratualatory notes!

Time to return this topic to all about cooking one-handed!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Tomorrow's weak-handed challenge: Torting and frosting two cakes for the bris on Sunday. Let's see how much manual control I have now that the cast is off my right hand. I'll report back afterwards.

• 3 months later...
Tomorrow's weak-handed challenge: Torting and frosting two cakes for the bris on Sunday. Let's see how much manual control I have now that the cast is off my right hand. I'll report back afterwards.

I'm reading this thread with particular interest, because as some of you may know, I have been since birth and always will be a one-armed cook.

These ideas are great--I love the idea of putting a nail in the middle of a cutting board!

So far, my most useful tool is a very, very sharp knife. No need to hold those tomatoes in place when your knife slices through them like it would through warm butter. Also, I chop potatoes, cucumbers, etc., by first halving them and placing the two pieces flat-side down on my cutting board. Then I can chop away without having to steady them. I wish I used my food processor more. I often avoid shortcuts, because I don't want to feel like my missing an arm is limiting my cooking. But clearly everyone takes shortcuts and I need to get over this asap!

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

JJ, how do you hone your knives to keep them so sharp with one hand?

I bring it to a cookware shop, and they sharpened it for me. :smile: Even if I had two arms I don't think I could successfully use that honing stick thing.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 6 months later...

I've been cooking for as long as I can remember. When I was a child, and we were visiting family in Manhattan, as a special treat we were given a budget (two dollars), with which we had to plan a balanced meal, walk down to Gristedes, purchase our ingredients, and then cook our dinners (and clean up afterwards).

I've been married for more than 15 years, and in all the time, I've been responsible for the shopping and the cooking.

Friday morning, I slipped on a patch of ice, and fell. I took most of the force on my right arm (I am right handed) rather than on my head, but in the process I injured my arm sufficiently that I will be having surgery on Monday.

For the next three months or so, I will have at best minimal use of my right arm, with 6-9 months of rehabilitation afterwards.

So far this week, my wife has been doing the cooking, with my occasional consulting, and this is likely to be the norm.

But has anyone had any experience with one armed cooking, and if so, can you give any advice?

(As a side note, once surgery happens, my typing speed is going to drop drastically as well, so my ability to respond in this thread will be minimal)

I've been cooking for as long as I can remember. When I was a child, and we were visiting family in Manhattan, as a special treat we were given a budget (two dollars), with which we had to plan a balanced meal, walk down to Gristedes, purchase our ingredients, and then cook our dinners (and clean up afterwards).

I've been married for more than 15 years, and in all the time, I've been responsible for the shopping and the cooking.

Friday morning, I slipped on a patch of ice, and fell. I took most of the force on my right arm (I am right handed) rather than on my head, but in the process I injured my arm sufficiently that I will be having surgery on Monday.

For the next three months or so, I will have at best minimal use of my right arm, with 6-9 months of rehabilitation afterwards.

So far this week, my wife has been doing the cooking, with my occasional consulting, and this is likely to be the norm.

But has anyone had any experience with one armed cooking, and if so, can you give any advice?

(As a side note, once surgery happens, my typing speed is going to drop drastically as well, so my ability to respond in this thread will be minimal)

My son's ex chef, Michael Caines, has 2 michelin stars and has been cooking with one arm for several years, having lost an arm in a motorcycle accident. If you google his name there are probably interviews with him, etc