• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Michelada

phlip

I prefer mine without the tomato/clamato, just some fresh lime juice, salt, and lots of spice. I light lagers really aren't my thing, so I use Negra Modelo, which gives the drink a little more body.

Isn't that just a chelada?

Or maybe clamato juice in lieu of the tomato juice.  But the other day I checked out clamato juice in my grocery store - like the 2nd or 3rd ingredient was high fructose corn syrup, so I took a pass...

You could just add a bit of clam juice in with your tomato juice. 

I didn't know about the HFCS in commercial clamato juice. I'll take a look at the label here. Occasionally the Canadian versions are different from the US, but I don't know if there is any difference in this case. 

• Like 1

There's a Mexican restaurant in London called mestizo, it's really fantastic so you should check it out if you are ever in the area. They serve Micheladas in huge salt rimmed goblets. I usually go for pacifico in mine.

I've struggled to make my own at home, so any advice would be great. Clamato juice isn't really a thing here, but I think from the taste, mestizo use Worcester sauce and tomato juice. What would the spices be?

NY Mag published a recipe from Phil Ward (whose Michelaa is probably the best one I've had - at Mayahuel):

Celery Sangrita Michelada

From Philip Ward, Mayahuel
“Sangrita is traditionally made with ­orange juice, but celery juice is more aromatic. Plus, it has a nice cooling quality to it, so you can add more spice. This way, you get a pleasant building spice, rather than just a flamethrower.”

FOR SANGRITA:
1/3 cup tomato juice (ideally R.W. Knudsen)
1 1/2 tbs. fresh celery juice
1 tbs. fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Pinch celery salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

FOR SPICY RIM:
1 part kosher salt
1 part sugar
1/2 part cayenne pepper

FOR MICHELADA:
2 tbs. sangrita
1 1/2 tbs. fresh-squeezed lime juice
Negra Modelo

NIGHT BEFORE: Combine sangrita ingredients. Makes about 1/2 cup.

INSTRUCTIONS: Rim pilsner glass with spicy rim mix, and add 2 ice cubes. Shake sangrita and lime juice with another 2 ice cubes, then pour the liquid into the glass (straining out the cubes). Top with Negra Modelo, and serve with rest of the beer.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?