• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decorating ideas for a whipped cream frosted cake

ChocoChris

Hi All,

I am making a baby shower cake for someone. At first we discussed different shape and decorating ideas until she decided that she would really like it covered in whipped cream. I am unsure as to what is possible with whipped cream decorations. How much piping is possible? It does not seem like it would be very stable for any elaborate decoration. I've been thinking of fondant figures placed on the cake. Maybe piping buttercream decoration on the whipped cream?

Anyone have any experience with this and/or ideas to share?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi All,

I am making a baby shower cake for someone. At first we discussed different shape and decorating ideas until she decided that she would really like it covered in whipped cream. I am unsure as to what is possible with whipped cream decorations.  How much piping is possible? It does not seem like it would be very stable for any elaborate decoration. I've been thinking of fondant figures placed on the cake.  Maybe piping buttercream decoration on the whipped cream?

Anyone have any experience with this and/or ideas to share?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would hesitate to mix fondant with whipped cream for, and I have no idea what piped buttercream would look like on top of whipped cream. I'm guessing buttercream is going to be too heavy and do bad things to the whipped cream.

However, you could stablize the whipped cream with some gelatin and achieve some simple piped decorations with the whipped cream itself -- certainly shell borders and the like, maybe even simple flowers. I always like the simplicity of fresh berries or nuts with whipped cream -- or chocolate curls, even.

Hi, chocoChris,

You don't need to make buttercream to make the decorations for the cake. You can do it with stabilized whipped cream.

Here is a link to a thread for a demo on stabilizing whipped cream.

You need to work quickly when using stabilized whipped cream, because it will set up and then will be difficult to use. I would recommend making it in two batches; one that you frost the cake with and one that you decorate the cake with very soon after frosting.

You can make roses with it. It looks lovely in pastels. Once the cake is decorated with the cream you can add some fondant figures, but I wouldn't make them too heavy, or they may settle into the cream.

Don't worry, the cake will be lovely and your friend will love it!

Eileen

edited by et for clarification

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Thank you both for your advice and for the link to the thread. I will try to avoid fondant or if I make figures, put them next to the cake as part of the presentation. I feel better about the stabilizing part. Making two batches sounds like a good idea. Have you made whipped cream roses?

Hi, chocoChris,

You don't need to make buttercream to make the decorations for the cake. You can do it with stabilized whipped cream.

Here is a link to a thread for a demo on stabilizing whipped cream.

You need to work quickly when using stabilized whipped cream, because it will set up and then will be difficult to use. I would recommend making it in two batches; one that you frost the cake with and one that you decorate the cake with very soon after frosting.

You can make roses with it. It looks lovely in pastels. Once the cake is decorated with the cream you can add some fondant figures, but I wouldn't make them too heavy, or they may settle into the cream.

Don't worry, the cake will be lovely and your friend will love it!

Eileen

edited by et for clarification

'The cakes I make are basically whipped cream only, as that is what people prefer here in the NEtherlands. I say it holds up to simple borders as far as piping goes, but I haven't had much luck in piping much else with it, even not the stabilized cream. But then, I have pretty hot hands and the whole things melts easily.

I have succesfully decorated with marzipan figurines and plaques, and as long as you don't put the colored pieces on too long before serving, the colors won't belnd into your whipped cream and look fine. I've also used royal icing flowers and plaques, which are also fine as long as you don't place them on the cake too far in advance (bleeding will occur, esp. because you have to put the cake in the fridge).

I don't think buttercream decorations will be a problem, as the fat content of the cream can probably take the buttercream. I just woulnd't try to frost buttercream over whipped cream, I'm pretty sure it won't hold up to that. But piping should be perfectly fine!

Unsprayed fresh flowers, for example roses, would be nice for a shower. Another option would be candied rose petals. You can make these at home, but also need unsprayed roses.

Depending on the cake flavorings, other options are crushed amaretti cookies, chocolate shavings or curls, toasted almond slices, etc. These could be used on either the sides or the top of the cake.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

You might also think about something like this, from Lady M: click!

It's smoothed all over with whipped cream (stabilized, I assume) and then topped with a thin, torched meringue. Simple and lovely.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007